Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #16
Wally450
A Paul Heyman Guy

Wally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputationWally450 has a terrific reputation
Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Boston Celtics Edition

1. TRUE or FALSE: Paul Pierce should have retired a Celtic, instead of being traded for draft picks.

I'll say true but nowadays you gotta do whats best for the team, and the Celtics weren't going anywhere with aging Pierce on the roster.

2. TRUE or FALSE: Rajon Rondo should be traded to help the Celtics future.

False, but we'll have to see how this team performs immediately because there's no point in wasting the rest of his prime on a lottery team when we know he can easily help a contender.

3. TRUE or FALSE: Brad Stevens will be a successful coach in the NBA.

I'm gonna say true but its gonna take a while. Gotta go through the bad before you see the good.

4. Besides Rajon Rondo, the best young talent on the Boston Celtics is:

Jeff Green, guy has the green light now. Marshon Brooks is close behind IMO.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Boston Celtics will make the playoffs this coming season.

False, I don't see them winning more than say 20 games.
Wally450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
ballup
Fool Disguised Genius

ballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableballup is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

1. False

We all, including Pierce, would love for him to retire a Celtic. We also know that it's an end of a competitive Celtic era and Pierce would love to take another shot of winning a title. Why hurt the progress of both for some sentimental satisfaction? He left on good terms considering that he decided to not play in the Net's preseason games against the Celtics.

2. False

His contract isn't too hard to deal, but I don't see a great deal for him.

3. Unknown

Stevens may be one of Ainge's longshot decesions.

4. Olynyk

Has range, good footwork, and post moves. Sully is more proven atm.

5. False

Playoffs will feature: Heat, Pacers, Nets, Knicks, and Bulls. Hawks and Raptors have a toe into the playoffs. I don't think this group meshes well considering they have a number of 4s who can't play the 5, but really desires minutes.
ballup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 01:06 PM   #18
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jesus Christ you guys, Rondo is good with young guys and isn't an asshole. He went out of his way to deal with Avery Bradley who was upset about going to the dleague. He's friends with his teammates.

Why won't you listen to real information that's been documented?

Just because he butts heads with a coach once in a while doesn't mean he's an asshole. Every good player does that.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:31 PM   #19
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

1. TRUE or FALSE: Paul Pierce should have retired a Celtic, instead of being traded for draft picks.

False. It's a nice sentiment and something I would personally have liked to see, but ultimately Boston made the smart move.

False. They shouldn't give him away and his value is very low right now. Keeping him around could greatly help the team if he is able to fully recover.

False. Not for the next couple seasons he won't, and with the way the NBA works he probably won't get the chance to prove it was because of the roster.

Olynyk looked good in Summer League, might be him, but I'll go with Jeff Green until Olynyk does it in a real game.

False. Just don't see it happening. They will be 9th or 10th potentially.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:20 PM   #20
KyleKong
OTC Heir Apparent

KyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableKyleKong is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

1. TRUE - Pierce is one of the greatest Celtics in the history of the franchise, undying loyalty when he was a Star when the team sucked. Everyone will remember him as a Green Machine but the last three seasons of a different team which he will post very, very, lower stats, just seems to be staining his legacy.

2. FALSE The Celtics are most likely tanking for Wiggins, if Rondo isn't just a Star from being around Hall of Famers, and can actually produce without them, they will need him to be the wingman for Wiggins (If Wiggins is really going to be a beat).

3. TRUE So young, but had a very successful career as a Butler's coach. So this will be more of a 70/30 chance of being true. It will be interesting to see how he will deal with all the new egos from players from the Nets/Celtics who go from playoff teams to a future lottery draft.

4. Young-Young? MarShon Brooks, real raw talent, was under-used with the Nets. But I will take Jeff Green as the second best "young" player, only 26 years old.

5. FALSE The Celtics have a 0% chance of winning a title, and they are a go big or go home franchise, so they will tank for Wiggins.
KyleKong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #21
Derka
Go C's!

Derka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation here

1. TRUE or FALSE: Paul Pierce should have retired a Celtic, instead of being traded for draft picks. The trade was absolutely the right thing to do. That being said, I am reasonably confident that Paul Pierce will still retire a Celtic. I give him two years at the most in Brooklyn before he signs a 1-day contract with the Celtics and retires immediately so he retires in green...if people still do that kind of thing despite how lame it sounds. I've seen the interviews he's done and I've read what he's said since the trade...and while I absolutely believe he's optimistic and happy to have a chance at a title in Brooklyn...he wants more than anything to be in Boston. All of this is immaterial at the end of the day because #34 goes up into the rafters and assumes it's rightful place among the Celtics legends regardless.

2. TRUE or FALSE: Rajon Rondo should be traded to help the Celtics future. False, at least as far as it relates to this upcoming season. He still has another year on his deal at a reasonable $13 million. I reckon he needs to play this season out under Brad Stevens and let's see what happens. The Celtics are essentially playing with house money this season, so why not play for keeps? If the season is a total disaster and he doesn't want to play for Stevens, then you absolutely facilitate a Rondo trade...he'll be on expiring deal and he'll still be a Top 5 PG in this league when it gets done...although I question what teams will be willing to give up to get him.

3. TRUE or FALSE: Brad Stevens will be a successful coach in the NBA. Such a subjective question...he's a proven commodity in college, but we've seen how poorly these kind of guys translate to the pro coaching game (f*ck you right in the mouth, Pitino, you arrogant toerag). And we've got him for six years...it's clear that the front office people feel like they've got their guy here. I feel like False is the answer that makes the most sense...but my gut tells me he could be really good when years 3 and 4 of that contract come up.

4. Besides Rajon Rondo, the best young talent on the Boston Celtics is: Man, it really feels like a mixed bag with this group. I'll give it to Jeff Green, even though he refuses to show me the killer instinct I know he's got in there.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Boston Celtics will make the playoffs this coming season. False. I just don't see it happening unless other teams in the East suffer crushing, catastrophic injuries.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #22
Dr. Cheesesteak
Local High School Star

Dr. Cheesesteak has decent reputation

True. It's a rare feat nowadays. Would've been nice to see him retire a Celtic, which was his desire. He played his butt off for that franchise and helped bring them a title.

True and False. He's young enough to be part of the rebuilding process, but can also bring back a lot of assets if he were traded. I suppose it all depends on the time frame Ainge has in mind to be championship contenders again.

True. Guy knows his X's and O's. And he's really laid back and can probably relate to a lot of players. Celtic players not respect him off the bat, but he's a good listener and respects his players and they'll eventually warm up to him.

Avery Bradley. I'm using the U25 thing that ESPN did. Bradley, Brooks, and Olynyk all have bright futures, imo. Olynyk may have the most upside, but is unproven except for in Summer League. Bradley is an elite defender and hustler. He may not have much scoring talent, but I'm a lover of defense. He got my vote.

False. It wouldn't surprise me if they did. They're roster is deep enough to compete in a lot of games and I like HC Stevens. But the EC has a lot of good fringe playoff teams - Was, Cleve, Det, Atl, etc.
Dr. Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:49 PM   #23
insidehoops
Administrator

insidehoops has disabled reputation

Bump
insidehoops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #24
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidehoops
Bump

While your bumping, can we get the new one stickied, and the old ones unstickied?

Edit: Well nevermind, stickying them all works too...
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 04:23 AM   #25
Flush
I hit open layups

Flush has decent reputation

1. TRUE or FALSE: Paul Pierce
should have retired a Celtic,
instead of being traded for draft
picks.

FALSE. The big 3 era should have came to an end and I think it was a smart move to trade Pierce, because you just don't want to keep old players on ur starting 5.

2. TRUE or FALSE: Rajon Rondo
should be traded to help the Celtics
future.

FALSE. He's the leader of the Celtics long time ago.

3. TRUE or FALSE: Brad Stevens will
be a successful coach in the NBA.

Have no idea TBH.

4. Besides Rajon Rondo, the best
young talent on the Boston Celtics
is:

Bradley. Great defender, decent midrange shooter.

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Boston
Celtics will make the playoffs this
coming season.

TRUE. They still have the firepower to make it.
Flush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 09:03 AM   #26
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You can elaborate on your answers.

[/quote]

Well assembled Threads Bagel.

1) I'm fine with Pierce not retiring a Celtic. Those days seem to be long gone. Probably in part because players come out sooner and can play longer because of it. It was a good run, but it wasn't long ago that Celtics fans weren't thrilled with Pierce's volume shooting and sour body language. A season on this roster with a numbers oriented coach wouldn't have been pretty, and frankly coulda done worse for his legacy than chasing another ring somewhere else. It reminds me a bit of Ray Borque's ring quest with the Avalanche. It was painfull at the time, but everyone wound up happy for him.

2) I do feel like Rondo should be shopped. He's still young enough that I wouldn't ship him out for mid level fodder, but it will tricky because I'm not sure what his value will be coming off the knee tear. One potential suitor was Detroit before the Jennings trade. It sounded like something built around Greg Monroe. And there's been rumors of something possibly built around Boogie Cousins. I'm not sure I'd do either of those for bigs so flawed on the defensive side of the ball. I think he should be shopped, but not necessarily traded, because I'm not sure what his market will be.

3) I believe Stevens will be a successfull NBA coach. It may not be in Boston. He's a young guy who's been put in a tough situation, as this team is three years, even with a few breaks, from being good enough to decide if he's an asset or not. Although I do believe He and Ainge will have a good patient, healthy relationship, as they seem to share similar systemic philosophies. The C's are one of the more innovative analytic teams in the league. One of about a half dozen teams employing the data tracking camera systems in their arena. Stevens certainly feels like a coach who will use all Danny's toys, which I'm sure will please Danny to no end, and allow for more time than probably would be allowed to three years of poor results. And Celtic ownership seems to trust Danny a great deal too, so I don't see him going.
If he doesn't survive this initiation by fire, I feel like he's the type who'll catch on somewhere else and do very well later on. He's too smart a guy to simply flame out.

4) I don't know if 26 is young or not anymore, so it may be Green. In fact with the limitations this team has offensively, seeing Green as a "go to" type scorer could make his value blow up out of proportion, something like the Kevin Gamble effect, where Gamble quickly became the best player on some bad Celtic teams after Reggie Lewis died, and he seemed like a far better player than he actually was, just because he was being pushed into situations he didn't belong, and hey ... everyone's gonna make a few. And I mean Rondo's 27, so maybe he still counts. Although his game is reliant on being surrounded with certain types of talent, weather he believes it or not, and his value could plummet on bad teams like these.
Sullinger is a good player, but physical limitations will keep him from ever being great. Avery Bradley will be able to play anywhere because of his one elite skill, but that jumper seems like a lifelong problem, and unfortunately his defensive prowess works best on teams that slow the tempo, which severely affects his offensive possibilities. He's basically Tony Allen. Which is fine.

I may put Olynek here. I know it may seem like an overreaction to a hot shooting summer league. But I liked Olynek coming into the draft. I feel like the defensive limitations are a bit overstated. He's not gonna be flying around the lane, but he's legitimately huge, and has shown a penchant for understanding positioning and playing angles on pick and rolls, and does some things that Omer Asik does. All jumpers can be fickle, and at some point teams will run him off his spot, but even just as a threat his jumper is a huge asset at his size. Right now if you were to trade any player on the team other than Rondo, I'd wager Olynek would draw the best return.

5) No way they make the playoffs. Not with Rondo playing with a bunch of non shooters on the wings, and non athletes up front to run with him. And not with Jeff Green being asked to take the big shots, after never being more than a third option at best any time prior in his career.
And if by chance everything falls right, and they do look like they're going to figure out a way to sneak in, I feel like Danny will do whatever he has to to keep it from happening, trading Rondo being the most likely solution to the "problem" of making the playoffs, even if it has to be done for 75 cents on the dollar.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 05:21 AM   #27
Lebowski
Sweden Loves the Green

Lebowski has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred

1. False. As much as I had loved for Paul to retire a Celtic, it didn't make much sense to keep him (and KG) any longer as last season showed. Only choice would have been if both came back on smaller contracts.

2. False. To me he is part of the future even at 27. I don't see Celtics getting back equal value anyway. I just hope he can focus on basketball AND being a TEAM-player and leader. He holds too many keys to mess up.

3. True. Sooner or later, lets hope its sooner. I only hope he has skills to hold the team together (for whatever reason), I don't want a Detroit-like mutiny, that was a disgrace. A young, rookie coach, a totally new team and Rondo as the leader is what makes me worried..

4. Is Jeff still considered young, if so him? Avery Bradley and rookie Olynyk. Have not seen much of Brooks..

5. False. I must mention, I HATE the idea of tanking, so I dont approve of that strategy
Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 03:58 PM   #28
I<3NBA
College superstar

I<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryI<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

false. sentiment has no place in an environment where winning is everything. if you can get value for anything, you get it. fk sentiment.

False. He is young and already an all-star. he is the building block and should be part of the next core.

tralse. he will only be successful if the team did not hire him as a temp coach to ride out the rebuilding process with the plan to kick him once the rebuild is over. if the team sticks with him after the team is complete, he will be successful, no question. but if he is fired, then how can he be successful?

Jeff Green

false. if they make it, then they failed really hard in their tank job. and giving up PP and KG, plus losing Doc would really look stupid in hindsight. they are aiming to rebuild, best way to do that is to score Wiggins.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:14 PM   #29
Fresh Kid
Banned

Fresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this boardFresh Kid has one of the lowest reputations on this board

TRUE
TRUE

Green

Fresh Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 01:36 PM   #30
Hittin_Shots
National High School Star

Hittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation hereHittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation hereHittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation hereHittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation hereHittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation hereHittin_Shots has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh Kid
TRUE
TRUE

Green

I give them the same chance of winning the championship as the Knicks.
Hittin_Shots is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: