Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-06-2013, 08:11 AM   #1
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Boston Celtics Edition

No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Previous teams:

Atlanta Hawks: http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=309213

Today's team?

THE BOSTON CELTICS

PG - Rondo/Lee
SG - Bradley/Brooks/Crawford/Bogans
SF - Green/Wallace
PF - Bass/Sullinger/Humphries
C - Olynyk/Melo

Head Coach: Brad Stevens
General Manager - Danny Ainge

1. TRUE or FALSE: Paul Pierce should have retired a Celtic, instead of being traded for draft picks.

2. TRUE or FALSE: Rajon Rondo should be traded to help the Celtics future.

3. TRUE or FALSE: Brad Stevens will be a successful coach in the NBA.

4. Besides Rajon Rondo, the best young talent on the Boston Celtics is:

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Boston Celtics will make the playoffs this coming season.

You can elaborate on your answers.

Last edited by bagelred : 08-18-2013 at 07:02 PM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:15 AM   #2
Johnny Jones
Russel Wilson = GOAT

Johnny Jones has decent reputationJohnny Jones has decent reputation
Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Boston Celtics Edition

1. True

2. False.

3. True. I always liked him at Butler.

4. Jeff Green

5. False
Johnny Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #3
Wavves
Blaze it up fgt

Wavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this boardWavves is popular on this board

1. TRUE or FALSE: Paul Pierce should have retired a Celtic, instead of being traded for draft picks.

False, I wish he did, but the NBA is a business and for the Celtics to rebuild they had to do that.

True, unless the C's can rebuild quickly, there is no point having him while his value is still high and is considered one of the top PG's in the game.

True, his Butler teams have been successful without having big NBA talent and have been known to play tough defense. I see this current Celtics team losing a lot, but losing in a respectable way, where they have maximum effort and play hard, tough defense.

I'd say Sullinger, if he can stay healthy and fix that back he will be a great player in the future.

False, team is rebuilding and the East will be more competitive this year.
Wavves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #4
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

1. i would have rather seen ainge hold onto pierce, and him just retire, but i guess im more sentimental than ainge.

2. id trade rondo. he is a difficult guy to deal with, he helps you win games, and get to mediocrity, but not the playoffs, and stops you getting a better pick in this draft. also, hes 27, so he not young, and hes probably not going to get any better. id trade him for picks, and prospects, and really bottom out.

3. i think so, but for coaches, they really need to get lucky and be put in a situation, where they can succeed. he seems like a really smart guy, so im rooting for him.

4. avery bradley? jeff green is 26, so i wouldnt call him young.

5. definitely false.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:30 AM   #5
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

Rekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

false. If the celtics want another whole decade of irrelevance like last time when they stuck with their core for too long , then keep him. Letting Pierce go with the right thing although could have gotten a bit more for him.

true. Rondo is not a player you want on a young rebuilding team. He has horrible attitudes and might get worse when the losses pile up. He also will be a knightmare for Coach Stevens who has only coached 1 legit nba player before in Gordon Hayward. I think Rondo will not be a celtic past the trading deadline.

true. Coaches who embrace stats have been proven to be successful in the nba recently, guys like Carlisle, Vogel, Mchale.

Kelly Olynyk, you dont find 7 footers which that kind of skill very often. When he develops some strength under nba training program, watch out.

false. Much more likely they win the lottery. That roster is horribly constructed. Rondo and Olynyk are both hurt. When Jeff Green is your first option, you know you are in trouble. Last couple seasons ,Celtics have been terrible when KG was not on the floor, their interior defense is going to be terrible.
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat coolwally_world is considered somewhat cool

PG - Rondo/Lee
SF - Green/Wallace
C - Olynyk/Melo

TRUE
Wouldn't make sense for Pierce, but I miss the team loyalty that players used to have

FALSE
It just seems that way because the pieces they got in return for KG/PP isn't good enough for a quicker rebuilding process

TRUE
Overpaid tho

Marshon Brooks
Looking for him to come out and put up at least 16ppg

FALSE
Many East teams got better too, gonna be an uphill battle

*Lee is not a PG
wally_world is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:41 AM   #7
kshutts1
Decent college freshman

kshutts1 is considered somewhat coolkshutts1 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred

1) I'm a business guy, so no. I value loyalty, but in the end, the NBA is a business.

2) Only if it's a good deal. He's still young enough that he has 5+ years of potentially being a top 5-10 PG. No need to trade that away, unless the right deal comes along.

3) True (I hope).

4) Brad Stevens. If I can't say the coach, then either Bradley or Green. I say Green.

5) False.

Only 5-on-5 so far that I provide feedback to you, Bagel. Why no question of the Nets/Celtics trade for Boston? Why only for the Nets? I like the trade equally as much for both teams. Would have been nice to see a question about that with Boston. I LOVE their tank job. Best one I've ever seen. "Contend" for a year or two longer than anyone thought they could with KG and company, then when it's the best draft in a decade... TANK. Loved it.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:45 AM   #8
LosScandalous
#Cadillactica

LosScandalous has an OK reputation so far

1. True
2. False, I don't think there is that much out there and rondo can be built around
3. time will tell but holy shit i don't think so
4. Avery Bradley can shut anybody down, hasn't even peaked yet
5. It's the east anything can happen but probably no
LosScandalous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
bagelred
Welcome Home, LBJ

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1

Only 5-on-5 so far that I provide feedback to you, Bagel. Why no question of the Nets/Celtics trade for Boston? Why only for the Nets?

Because everyone accepts that it was a smart trade for Boston in getting lots of picks. But the only hesitation was trading Paul Pierce, who won't retire a Celtic. So that's what I asked in first question....
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #10
treadster
Good High School Starter

treadster has an OK reputation so far

1.False, business is first and NBA is business.

2.False, never trade star in his prime for unproven talent.

3.True, he will have a hard time at first.

4.Jeff Green

5.False, lack of complementary player for rondo
treadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:03 AM   #11
fpliii
LA Lakers Est. 1960

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

False. If you don't move Pierce, KG probably retires instead (unless you can get him to the Clippers somehow), and you get nothing for him. Garnett is much better a player nowadays, but they seemed to be very much a package deal.

True. People have mentioned a Jennings/Monroe for Rondo trade, though I think Monroe is very much overrated nowadays.

True, without doubt. Coaches that embrace analytics are certainly the future of the league.

Avery Bradley, though I don't know how high his ceiling is. I'm interested in seeing what Green can do over the course of a full season in an offense in which he's featured.

False, but it's by design.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
kshutts1
Decent college freshman

kshutts1 is considered somewhat coolkshutts1 is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Because everyone accepts that it was a smart trade for Boston in getting lots of picks. But the only hesitation was trading Paul Pierce, who won't retire a Celtic. So that's what I asked in first question....
You are right, obviously. One of my "blonde" moments.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:14 AM   #13
JohnnySic
green is good

JohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation hereJohnnySic has an incredible reputation here

1.) False. They had to trade him to transition forward. They received a lot of useful assets in return (picks, expireres, trade exceptions, even a young player in Brooks who may amount to something). It doesn't hurt PP's Celtics legacy in the least.

2.) False, for now. Play out the year and see how the draft lottery pans out. Then, reevaluate on Rondo's place in things.

3.) I think True. But who knows?

4.) Green if he counts as young. Otherwise, either Sully or maybe Olynyk.

5.) FALSE!
JohnnySic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:58 AM   #14
unknowns8
Serious playground baller

unknowns8 has an OK reputation so far

False. As stated previously, if he hangs with the C's then we take 10 years to rebuild. This trade hasn't hurt his Boston legacy int he slightest and i think I read somewhere that PP will sign a 1 day or 1 week contract so after his Brooklyn stint is over so he can retire a Celt.

False. Too many people are putting too much emphasis on Rondo's percieved 'attitude issues' and how that may effect the incoming players. I think it's overhyped and look forward to him working with coach Stevens next year, whic leads me to...

True. i'm expecting Rondo, Green and Bradley to flourish under his coaching

Sully

True. a ballsy call but with a weak east and a combination fo good luck, good form from Rondo and Green and strong growth in Sully, Bradley and Olynk then C's will grab the 7th spot (that's at best though)
unknowns8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:08 AM   #15
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

THE BOSTON CELTICS

PG - Rondo/Lee
SF - Green/Wallace
C - Olynyk/Melo

my heart says true, my head says no. He is still a very good player, but they can see the writing on the wall. I would rather have seen him moved for a known quantity, a young blue chipper, but that is probably beyond his value.

probably true. He is a known malcontent and all around asshole. Not sure how thats great for a young locker room where is the most successful veteran.

False. He did great at butler, but I have trouble seeing his style translate to a high profile college program, let alone the entitled spoiled athletes in the nba.

Green for sure.

False. If they are in the hunt, they will blow it up even further at the trade deadline. some team could get a really nice duo in rondo and green for some picks, young unproven players and cap space.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: