Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 08-01-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Atlanta Hawks Edition

It's August 1st!!! No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

A brand new series which is not similar to any other sports websites idea....called....... ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS.

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Today's team?

The ATLANTA HAWKS

Current Roster

PG - Teague/Shroeder/Mack
SG - Williams/Jenkins/Cunningham
SF - Korver/Stevenson
PF - Millsap/Brand/Antic/Scott
C - Horford/Ayon

Head Coach: Mike Budenholzer
GM: Danny Ferry

1. TRUE or FALSE: The Atlanta Hawks had a successful offseason.

2. One word to describe the Atlanta Hawks roster is:

3. TRUE or FALSE: Mike Budenholzer was a smart hire for this team.

4. Will Atlanta Hawks lack of a true center hurt them?

5. TRUE or FALSE: The Atlanta Hawks will make the playoffs this season.

You can elaborate on your answers.

Last edited by bagelred : 09-25-2013 at 11:58 AM.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
No Evans!
Decent playground baller

No Evans! has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS: Atlanta Hawks Edition

TRUE- They did not get hamstrung into long term contracts by signing Jefferson, Igoudala, or Ellis. Paul Millsap was a steal, not to mention Dennis Schroder.

Flexibility- All of their 5s can play the 4. All of their 4s can play the 3. All of their 3s can play the 2.

TRUE- The running and pick and roll offense is perfect for Teague and Horford.

Maybe, but Horford puts up his best numbers at the 5.

TRUE- This is a no brainer.

Last edited by No Evans! : 08-06-2013 at 12:15 PM.
No Evans! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
CelticPride13
Banned

CelticPride13 has an OK reputation so far

False.

Mediocre.

True.

Probably not.

True.
CelticPride13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM   #4
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

SF - Korver/Stevenson
C - Horford/Ayon

FALSE!
Should've at least signed and traded Josh Smith. Brand signing is a head scratcher. Teague got overpaid (though its not their fault). Millsap is alright but I dont know how he fits with Horford.

MEDIOCRE
Just like it has been for the past # years

???

Not too much in the East. They NEED to run though, if they want this lineup to succeed.

FALSE
Miami/Indiana/NY/Brooklyn/Chicago/Cleveland/Detroit/Toronto/Washington
I'll take these 9 teams before i pick Atlanta.
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:33 AM   #5
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life

TheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputationTheReal Kendall has a bad reputation

1. False

2. Trash

4. Yes! It has since they drafted Big AL. He needs to be in his true position PF

TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #6
SpurrDurr
Local High School Star

SpurrDurr has decent reputation

1. False, they still didn't sign a solid center to play with Horford. Also the Korver deal is quite bad.
2. 1st round exit

3. TRUE: SA experience

4. A bit but not so much since Horford is a great player. I still wish the day Horford would play as PF with a good defensive center (Asik would be perfect)

5. TRUE, they are experienced and won't fall behind to any young teams like Cavs or Wizardsw.
SpurrDurr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #7
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred

1) False, though not UNsuccessful either. I love the Millsap and Brand signings, like the Schroeder pick. I just don't like their coach, and thought that ATL could have done a better job getting a SG. I like Lou, but off the bench, and I'm not sure Jenkins is ready to start at SG, nor should Korver.

2) TheyhaveaglaringneedattheSGposition,otherwiseit'sa reallygoodroster

3) I don't know enough about him to definitively say No, but also... if I don't know enough about him, I assume it's because there's not much worth knowing (on an NBA coaching level) yet. So no, not a smart hire because of....

4) No. Hasn't before.

5) Lock to make the playoffs, and if they had a legit SG this question should be "contenders for the title". I like Horford/Millsap/Brand that much, along with their bevy of shooters, and a solid PG (although the coach could also hold them back).
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:48 AM   #8
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
It's August 1st!!! No draft, signings done, no Summer League. Two months of nothingness......so it's time to do some ANALYSIS!!! One team at a time!!!

Let's shamelessly rip off ESPN's 5 on 5, and create our new series called???: ISH's FIVE QUESTIONS. So please give detailed answers to our five questions....

So let's go through the league alphabetically, shall we?

Today's team?

The ATLANTA HAWKS

Current Roster

SF - Korver/Stevenson
C - Horford/Ayon

False, they are running in place. By their standards yes they did. By the standards of trying to win a title, no.

Mediocre.

You can elaborate on your answers.

Basically i answered only two questions because that's the Hawks, they only care about being semi successful.
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
kshutts1
Good college starter

kshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected posterkshutts1 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
Basically i answered only two questions because that's the Hawks, they only care about being semi successful.
Why do people think the roster is mediocre?

Millsap, Horford, Teague are all above average players for their position.

Very good 3p shooters are a necessity when a team has strong post players and penetrating guards, so the Hawks have Jenkins and Korver.

An "energizer bunny" off the bench is another ingredient for success, and Atlanta has Williams. If he can get back to 76ers Lou, then that's awesome.

They're missed a two-way SG, or at least one that creates shots well, and.... yeah, that's really it. If they added a JR Smith type player, then they'd be a top 4 seed in the East, with a shot at making the Finals.
kshutts1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:00 AM   #10
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The ATLANTA HAWKS

Current Roster

SF - Korver/Stevenson
C - Horford/Ayon

I think so. Milsap was the best value of any FA signing, they brought back a deadeye shooter in Korver, added some decent big man backups in brand and ayon (I know nothing about antic) and got a ready to play guard in the draft. I still dont like playing horford at the 5. I think losing smith and zaza is something of a blow, at the very least defensively.

meh

Hard to really evaluate. It certainly seems so based on the "expert" response, but I have no way to really evaluate assistant coaches. I like it better than my teams hire of cheeks.

Yes, I think so. Lots of teams with a legit center in the league these days.

Its hard to bet against them. I hope not, because it leaves another spot open for the wiz, cle and det. But if I had to bet, I would bet they make it over one of those three teams
boozehound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:02 AM   #11
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by kshutts1
Why do people think the roster is mediocre?

Millsap, Horford, Teague are all above average players for their position.

Very good 3p shooters are a necessity when a team has strong post players and penetrating guards, so the Hawks have Jenkins and Korver.

An "energizer bunny" off the bench is another ingredient for success, and Atlanta has Williams. If he can get back to 76ers Lou, then that's awesome.

They're missed a two-way SG, or at least one that creates shots well, and.... yeah, that's really it. If they added a JR Smith type player, then they'd be a top 4 seed in the East, with a shot at making the Finals.
wow, it is crazy that you think adding jr smith to this average roster would make them a contender to reach the finals. really?
Old 08-14-2013, 11:10 AM   #12
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
wow, it is crazy that you think adding jr smith to this average roster would make them a contender to reach the finals. really?

Their team IQ went way up getting rid of Josh Smith. They certainly don't need a JR type!
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:16 AM   #13
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

1. False
The Hawks lost Josh Smith and they only really have Al Horford to build around. They truly lack a star to draw other big names to the team.

2. Unappealing

3. True

4. No. The league doesn't have too many true C's anyway. All a team needs is someone a minimum of 6'8"+, who can rebound.

5. True
Look at their conference. The East is saturated with terrible teams. The Hawks could even be a top 4 seed in the East if some of the other teams don't pan out and/or one of the elite Eastern teams suffer injuries with their elite players.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #14
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar
1. False
The Hawks lost Josh Smith and they only really have Al Horford to build around. They truly lack a star to draw other big names to the team.

2. Unappealing

3. True

4. No. The league doesn't have too many true C's anyway. All a team needs is someone a minimum of 6'8"+, who can rebound.

5. True
Look at their conference. The East is saturated with terrible teams. The Hawks could even be a top 4 seed in the East if some of the other teams don't pan out and/or one of the elite Eastern teams suffer injuries with their elite players.
not sure why people act like their arent legit centers in the nba right now.

Look at the central
Noah
Hibbert
Drummond
Bynum
Sanders
Of those 5, only sanders is something of a 4/5.

Atlantic
Chandler
Lopez
Valunpoopee
? whos the starting 5 for philly, hawes
Olynk
again, all those guys are legit 5s. Sure, hawes isnt very good and olynk is young, but most teams have a legit 5 right now.

the SE is the only division in the east where there arent legit centers on each team
Southeast
bosh
vucevic
charlotte? (jefferson will start I guess)
horford
okafor/nene
Old 08-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #15
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputationembersyc has a terrific reputation

False, they lost their best player. They got a good deal on Millsap, but I'm not sure why they went for Brand and matching the offer on Teague probably wasn't smart.

Boring. Seriously I imagine even Hawk fans won't want to watch this team.

True, he will keep them in the playoffs I suspect.

Maybe against bigger teams, but I don't think their is overwhelming depth at center throughout the league anyways.

True, I think they have a good shot. I know people think the Wizards and Cavs have a better chance, but I suspect Atlanta will finish ahead of both of those teams.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: