Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-25-2013, 01:32 PM   #31
HurricaneKid
Local High School Star

Default Re: A Lakers fan was telling me that they could get LeBron AND Melo in 2014...

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
no, it doesnt. They have cap holds that add up to another 15 million.
that leaves them ~35 million. Now, yes, they could sign two starting max contracts, but not the personal maxes of lebron and melo. So, they could sign George and say Irving, but not melo and lebron. of course, george is a RFA, so the pacers match any deal.

George and Irving are RFAs and there is a ZERO PERCENT CHANCE they aren't matched. Which means their names should never be brought up again.

So you are leaving 35MM for Kobe's 33MM deal PLUS LeBron who wouldn't play with Kobe at any price, and Melo who had his team pillaged rather than take a FA Max deal rather than a S&T. Its so absurd ESPN should be investigated by the FCC for fueling the fire of this idiotic thought process.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 01:41 PM   #32
guy
Very good NBA starter

Default Re: A Lakers fan was telling me that they could get LeBron AND Melo in 2014...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scm5
They CAN, doesn't mean they will.

I think the only big name FA that might actually come to LA is Bosh. Reports say that he's not happy in MIA and it would actually be a big blow to MIA if he doesn't resign.

If the Lakers get Bosh, resign Kobe and Pau to reasonable contracts, and sign Deng I could see them being a legit contender for one or two more seasons.

Nash/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Deng/Johnson
Bosh/Odom???
Pau/Hill

That's like the absolute best offseason I could see the Lakers having. I don't see Lebron, Melo, or George coming.

That is much more reasonable and realistic.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:15 PM   #33
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
George and Irving are RFAs and there is a ZERO PERCENT CHANCE they aren't matched. Which means their names should never be brought up again.

So you are leaving 35MM for Kobe's 33MM deal PLUS LeBron who wouldn't play with Kobe at any price, and Melo who had his team pillaged rather than take a FA Max deal rather than a S&T. Its so absurd ESPN should be investigated by the FCC for fueling the fire of this idiotic thought process.
they were examples of young players getting their first max deals, which are the types of max contracts LA could offer two of (if they renounce kobe or get him to sign to the vet min before hand). As opposed to the personal max deals that lebron and melo can get. I have been very clear that its not realistic in the slightest.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 02:47 PM   #34
HurricaneKid
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by guy
That is much more reasonable and realistic.

No its not. AT ALL.

In order to bring in FAs they would need the lesser of the hold or new contract of existing players to allow bringing in the new players. In this case it would certainly be the new deal. So assuming the new cap is ~60M you would need to get

Kobe, Pau, Bosh, and Deng to take current salaries of 82MM down to less than 44MM. And you would need Hill, who has never been paid really NBA money to take a miniscule deal to play on the bench for a noncompetitive team rather than try to get paid. If he can't come back from the hip thing, maybe. But then you probably wouldn't want him anyways.

So you would need each of them to take ~half of what they were making before. And none of them have said they have any plans on taking ANY less. And the Bulls are in discussions to extend Deng now. If they don't they will likely trade him to a team that will extend him.

Laker fans seem oblivious to the cap and its ramifications because they really haven't had to play under those rules before. But the new rules are entirely designed to make it A) difficult and B) expensive to bring in talent from smaller markets. And its nearly impossible to bring in that many guys because you need to stay under not only the luxury line, or the apron but the actual salary cap. This means LAL would go from the #1 salaried team (by far for years) to ~#20. And would need to squeeze everyone in at that level.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #35
Brokenbeat
High school junior varsity star

LeBron is going back to Cleveland, and LA would be stupid to go after Melo.
Brokenbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:29 PM   #36
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

Lakers could sign Lebron and Melo, it is possible under the cap, but it's entirely up to these two if they want to leave their current teams. Which who the hell knows.
longtime lurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:35 PM   #37
guy
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
No its not. AT ALL.

In order to bring in FAs they would need the lesser of the hold or new contract of existing players to allow bringing in the new players. In this case it would certainly be the new deal. So assuming the new cap is ~60M you would need to get

Kobe, Pau, Bosh, and Deng to take current salaries of 82MM down to less than 44MM. And you would need Hill, who has never been paid really NBA money to take a miniscule deal to play on the bench for a noncompetitive team rather than try to get paid. If he can't come back from the hip thing, maybe. But then you probably wouldn't want him anyways.

So you would need each of them to take ~half of what they were making before. And none of them have said they have any plans on taking ANY less. And the Bulls are in discussions to extend Deng now. If they don't they will likely trade him to a team that will extend him.

Laker fans seem oblivious to the cap and its ramifications because they really haven't had to play under those rules before. But the new rules are entirely designed to make it A) difficult and B) expensive to bring in talent from smaller markets. And its nearly impossible to bring in that many guys because you need to stay under not only the luxury line, or the apron but the actual salary cap. This means LAL would go from the #1 salaried team (by far for years) to ~#20. And would need to squeeze everyone in at that level.

I guess I should've said its more realistic that they would get Deng+Bosh instead of Lebron+Melo. And I think Kobe and Pau are definitely getting only half of what they are currently making, probably less than half in Pau's case. I'm a Bulls fan and they are talking about extending Deng, but I doubt they will reach a deal before FA, and because how cheap they can be, I could see him leaving.
guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 03:39 PM   #38
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
Lakers could sign Lebron and Melo, it is possible under the cap, but it's entirely up to these two if they want to leave their current teams. Which who the hell knows.
again, its not really possible under the cap. They have personal maxes (based on their current salary) that are above and beyond the "max" contract. Why would they give up something like 8 million a year? Melo's hold is 23.3 million next year if he opts out, brons is just south of 21 million. that is ~45 million, the lakers have at least 9.7 in nash and 13 roster cap claims at 1.2. If they trade nash for an expiring contract (who would do that, maybe toronto) hold on to sacre and force Nick Young to opt out, they may just barely be able to squeeze them in (they would have about 16.5 million in cap holds, assuming the cap is 60 million, that leaves about 43.5 million in space - plus each signing reduces one cap hold of 1.2 million). and that is if they either rescind kobe or already got him to sign for the vet min. Its not happening.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:08 PM   #39
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
again, its not really possible under the cap. They have personal maxes (based on their current salary) that are above and beyond the "max" contract. Why would they give up something like 8 million a year? Melo's hold is 23.3 million next year if he opts out, brons is just south of 21 million. that is ~45 million, the lakers have at least 9.7 in nash and 13 roster cap claims at 1.2. If they trade nash for an expiring contract (who would do that, maybe toronto) hold on to sacre and force Nick Young to opt out, they may just barely be able to squeeze them in (they would have about 16.5 million in cap holds, assuming the cap is 60 million, that leaves about 43.5 million in space - plus each signing reduces one cap hold of 1.2 million). and that is if they either rescind kobe or already got him to sign for the vet min. Its not happening.

The Lakers can use the stretch provision on Nash thereby shaving off 6 million off the cap. Even if Nick Young doesn't opt, you only have Sacre, Ryan Kelly, Young+cap hold for a first rounder and Nash's reduced salary on the books. Even with the 8 cap holds for being under the 12 man limit the Lakers will have roughly 10 million in salary committed. And here's where they can get creative. 2nd round picks don't count against the cap, but in theory they should count as players on the roster(not 100% sure on this). Let's say the Lakers scoop of 3 2nd round picks and give them a verbal commitment to sign. They've just shaved off another 1.5 million off the cap. And this is with the 60 million dollar cap number, I've seen it project as high as 62 million. And the Lakers will rescind Kobe regardless because his cap hold is 45 million, it makes no sense not to. So yes it is possible for Melo and Lebron to get the max while Kobe still gets around 10 million, but its entirely up to Melo and Bron to make it work.
longtime lurker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 04:12 PM   #40
SamuraiSWISH
GOAT gonna GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazb
LeBron's not giving Kobe free rings. It's not happening.
But he likes jumping ship, he's been doing it since H.S. ... who knows? Nothing is out of the realm of possibility for a man that doesn't feel loyal to any particular franchise, state, city, or home. Any destination is in play with LeBron. You should know by now.
SamuraiSWISH is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: