Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-25-2013, 12:14 PM   #16
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: A Lakers fan was telling me that they could get LeBron AND Melo in 2014...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpurrDurr
Like mentioned before, no way that Kobe and Lebron will play in the same team.

About Melo, i highly doubt he's gonna leave his hometown team for joining the Lakers.

Anyway will Kobe accept less money for the next contract? I read somewhere that isn't planning to but i find it very odd. Any news about this?

Cause if he ll get a new contract close to 20m per year the Lakers are pretty screwed.
melo is from baltimore.

If kobe took the vet min, they could do something like this. They wont, but I guess its not impossible.
boozehound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:16 PM   #17
scm5
Decent college freshman

scm5 has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: A Lakers fan was telling me that they could get LeBron AND Melo in 2014...

They CAN, doesn't mean they will.

I think the only big name FA that might actually come to LA is Bosh. Reports say that he's not happy in MIA and it would actually be a big blow to MIA if he doesn't resign.

If the Lakers get Bosh, resign Kobe and Pau to reasonable contracts, and sign Deng I could see them being a legit contender for one or two more seasons.

Nash/Farmar
Kobe/Young
Deng/Johnson
Bosh/Odom???
Pau/Hill

That's like the absolute best offseason I could see the Lakers having. I don't see Lebron, Melo, or George coming.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:19 PM   #18
Nets fan 93
Brooklyn Nets >

Nets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterNets fan 93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
Wtf did i just read
They all need the ball in their hands.
Nets fan 93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 PM   #19
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

boozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableboozehound is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwayDizzle
This made me lol
so, they have about 12 million in total for 3 players (though ~1.5 is for Nick Young's player option, which he will probably opt out of). that means they have 11 cap holds at the vet min (another 13.2) - 25 million committed. They would have to sign kobe first (to remove his massive cap hold), renounce their cap holds on everyone else and they could have upwards of 30 million (nearly 35) if the cap is ~60 million. Both Bron and Melo can sign max deals at over 20 million. So, they would have to take a paycut.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #20
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Kurosawa0 has no real reputation yet.

It could happen technically. The Lakers have no money committed after this year I believe other than Steve Nash.

Here's the problem though, there's no way those guys would want to play with Kobe. Kobe would have to take a major backseat and take maybe 10 or 12 shots a game. He's not doing that.

The only way the Lakers could pull off Melo and LeBron is if they cut Kobe loose and added more complimentary players.
Kurosawa0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:39 PM   #21
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
It could happen technically. The Lakers have no money committed after this year I believe other than Steve Nash.

Here's the problem though, there's no way those guys would want to play with Kobe. Kobe would have to take a major backseat and take maybe 10 or 12 shots a game. He's not doing that.

The only way the Lakers could pull off Melo and LeBron is if they cut Kobe loose and added more complimentary players.
even if you just use nash's salary at 9.7, force NY to opt out and cut sacre (is he unguaranteed? I would guess so), you would have 13 cap holds (15.6 mil) at vet min (it is smarter to keep sacre as he makes less than that). Maybe you could get some extra money by signing a bunch of 2nd rounders or other below vet min players, but even if 10 roster spaces are at 500k (and 3 more vet min hold to fill with kb, bron and melo), youa re looking at 18.3 million in salary.

lebrons hold is nearly 21 million, and melo's is 23.3

even if kobe took the vet min, the salary cap went up to an even 60 million, and the roster was
nash
kobe
sacre
and a bunch of 2nd rounder scrubs/undrafted players who would sign for close to the absolute minimum

they couldnt offer both melo and lebron their personal max

and they would be playing with an absolutely gutted roster.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:44 PM   #22
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by boozehound
even if you just use nash's salary at 9.7, force NY to opt out and cut sacre (is he unguaranteed? I would guess so), you would have 13 cap holds (15.6 mil) at vet min (it is smarter to keep sacre as he makes less than that). Maybe you could get some extra money by signing a bunch of 2nd rounders or other below vet min players, but even if 10 roster spaces are at 500k (and 3 more vet min hold to fill with kb, bron and melo), youa re looking at 18.3 million in salary.

lebrons hold is nearly 21 million, and melo's is 23.3

even if kobe took the vet min, the salary cap went up to an even 60 million, and the roster was
nash
kobe
sacre
and a bunch of 2nd rounder scrubs/undrafted players who would sign for close to the absolute minimum

they couldnt offer both melo and lebron their personal max

and they would be playing with an absolutely gutted roster.

It would definitely require Melo and LeBron taking a cut. It's going to be the same for Miami keeping Bosh, Wade and LeBron.

It's why I think the only way Melo and LeBron could end up in LA is if the Lakers let Kobe walk and use that money to sign role players.

There's no way LeBron is leaving Miami to play with Nash, Melo, Kobe and a bunch of minimum guys. That team probably isn't better than a second round out.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:47 PM   #23
HurricaneKid
National High School Star

HurricaneKid has not been impressing people

Quote:

Not really.

Read this:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...4-a-pipe-dream

And remember: Kobe has said he ISN'T taking a pay cut. And his salary hold is >50% of the salary cap.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 PM   #24
scm5
Decent college freshman

scm5 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneKid
Not really.

Read this:
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...4-a-pipe-dream

And remember: Kobe has said he ISN'T taking a pay cut. And his salary hold is >50% of the salary cap.

Kobe isn't taking a paycut as in, he's not gonna sign for less money than he deserves. At 36, he's not gonna deserve $30m like he is getting paid right now. He will more likely command somewhere around $10-15m depending on how strong he comes back.
scm5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:52 PM   #25
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:

No, I said it would require them taking pay cuts.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:56 PM   #26
Droid101
3-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation hereDroid101 has an incredible reputation here

Next year, the Lakers only have Steve Nash's 9.7 million salary on the books. That's it.

That leaves them with enough room to sign two max free agents. Or, three big names if they all take a slight pay cut (like what LerBron and Bosh did to join Wade).

There are going to be a lot of big names opting out of the final year of their deal to secure long term contracts.

Lots of people want to play for the Lakers because they are prestigious organization with lots of history.

They will get two or three big names to join them next year. Will it be LerBron and Melo? Who knows.
Droid101 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #27
bluechox2
#knickstape

bluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebluechox2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

i thought melo sucks, why bother
bluechox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:57 PM   #28
HurricaneKid
National High School Star

HurricaneKid has not been impressing people

Quote:
No, I said it would require them taking pay cuts.

From the above link:

These are the “everyone takes a pay cut” scenarios, similar to the strategy enacted by LeBron, Wade, and Bosh in 2010. While you might be able to convince yourself that Kobe will take a pay cut (he’s getting old and wants another ring very, very badly), or that LeBron would take a pay cut (he’s done it before), you’re outright crazy if you think Melo is doing it. This is the same guy who forced his way to New York via trade rather than waiting to sign there in the offseason because he wanted to get his maximum extension in before the new collective bargaining agreement presumably lowered the value of maximum contracts (which it did).

Also consider that Melo can sign a maximum five-year, approximately $130 million contract with the Knicks if he opts out of his current deal and re-signs in New York. The scenarios listed above would have him taking a four-year deal that would pay him between $70 million and $80 million. Similarly, LeBron would be turning down a five-year, approximately $117 million contract to sign in L.A. for between $70 million and $80 million over four years.

As one veteran Los Angeles writer put it: pie in the sky.
HurricaneKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:59 PM   #29
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
As one veteran Los Angeles writer put it: pie in the sky.

Oh absolutely. LeBron will have better options than LA anyway.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:22 PM   #30
boozehound
An uglier Lamar Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid101
Next year, the Lakers only have Steve Nash's 9.7 million salary on the books. That's it.

That leaves them with enough room to sign two max free agents. Or, three big names if they all take a slight pay cut (like what LerBron and Bosh did to join Wade).

There are going to be a lot of big names opting out of the final year of their deal to secure long term contracts.

Lots of people want to play for the Lakers because they are prestigious organization with lots of history.

They will get two or three big names to join them next year. Will it be LerBron and Melo? Who knows.
no, it doesnt. They have cap holds that add up to another 15 million.
that leaves them ~35 million. Now, yes, they could sign two starting max contracts, but not the personal maxes of lebron and melo. So, they could sign George and say Irving, but not melo and lebron. of course, george is a RFA, so the pacers match any deal.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: