Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-24-2013, 11:06 PM   #1
WayOfWade
Returning AUG 2015

WayOfWade has an OK reputation so far
Default Your Finest Basketball Moment(s)

If y'all have some crazy heroic basketball stories, I want to hear 'em. I'm talkin' 'bout stuff you've done on the court, be it practice, pickup, or some organized league.
One of mine was this past February, some friends and I were playing around after church-ball practice, so we decided to so some 2 on 2 and then go home. It was me and one of my better friends matched up against the other 2 neighborhood guys, both are uber athletic and one is one of those arrogant b-words who screams and claps whenever you shoot, and in the past when I had guarded him and he got the ball, he had the cockiness to call out "mismatch!" The dude's a tool, and most people in my neigborhood think he's a prick.
Back on topic though, this was a time before I was a respectable 3-point shooter (that came this past June), so all I had really was my driving game and my passing. Something magical happened though, with that prick guarding me, I hit a 3. After hitting it I thought, "Wow, that was lucky. I better push my luck." I proceeded to brick my next 3; but after that, it was all over. I rained in 4 threes in a row, the last one being a pull-up from NBA range. My teammate just kept passing me the ball, and I kept hitting. Eventually the other guys kept switching and playing up on me, so I proceeded to drive by them and do a euro-step reverse layup. Very rarely am I ever in a zone like that, the one where you know what you want to do, and you know the opposition can't stop you from doing it.
In the end, I hit 6/8 threes and had 13 points (1's & 2's), and we won 15-5. Sadly, the dude I talked about is still as cocky as ever, but still, it was an incredible feeling hitting those threes so effortlessly.
Any stories from you guys?

*EDIT: sorry if tldr

Last edited by WayOfWade : 07-24-2013 at 11:25 PM.
WayOfWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:10 PM   #2
KyrieTheFuture
College superstar

KyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Your Finest Basketball Moment(s)

I'm horrible at playing basketball so I quit in 7th grade and never played organized ball again. Best moment is definitely getting to play one on one with my best friend on the Cavs court for like an hour before the game started. Greatest moment of my life.
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:16 PM   #3
Dr. Cheesesteak
Local High School Star

Dr. Cheesesteak has decent reputation

i won't get into too many details.

- swatting a kid from behind when he was laying it in on a fast break (8th grade)

- any time I win a game of 21 w/ 3+ ppl at the gym (been playing at gym past 2 years)

- when I beat a black guy who was better than me at 21 (just about a month ago - I'm 28 btw. he went over 21 of course...letting me sneak in for the W. sidenote: i hate playing 21 1v1. makes no sense to me. Just go straight up 1v1)
Dr. Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:24 PM   #4
WayOfWade
Returning AUG 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Cheesesteak
I beat a black guy
Old 07-24-2013, 11:38 PM   #5
wakencdukest
Local High School Star

wakencdukest has decent reputationwakencdukest has decent reputation

Setting a pick for a teammate and this guys face slammed into my chest, he had to leave the game because he was so shook up.
wakencdukest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013, 11:55 PM   #6
jstern
College star

jstern has decent reputationjstern has decent reputation

5th time saying this. But this friend of mine owed me money. We were standing about 60 feet away from the hoop and he said that if I make the shot from where I was standing he would pay, if not he doesn't owe me anything. It was such a ridiculous suggestion, since he's the one who should be shooting it since he's the one that owes me money. It somewhat annoyed me, and I got competitive and said fine. So I shot it, it went in. Then he said no, no, no, it doesn't count. So I shot it again and hit it. Then I shot it again and hit it. 3 in a row. And then I started hitting 70 footers.

Another one was this guy talking shit, with anger, wanting to fight me kind of anger. He said that he could use his left hand better than me, which is a joke. So I was about 25 feet away, said, "This is for you Richard," closed my eyes, and hit the 25 footer with my left hand. It's so satisfying. Perhaps I did that twice.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:00 AM   #7
Droid101
5-time NBA All-Star

Droid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDroid101 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

In college at the dorms we had this black dude come to play on our court one time teamed up with a rival bunch of dudes.

It was a bunch of Asians plus him, vs a bunch of Asians plus me (I'm a really tall skinny white dude).

I blocked his shots every time he tried to be Jordan taking over the ball. It became quite comical after a while, and his teammates were dumbfounded as to why he couldn't shoot over me (I'm tall but no hops).

We dominated them. Pretty funny.

Another time (wasn't me) but my shorter Thai friend had a bunch of Vietnamese guys in a pick up game just basically jump on top of him (all five of them) to stop him from taking a shot, and he threw them all off Matrix Reloaded style. Most hilarious thing I've ever seen on a basketball court.
Droid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #8
LBJMVP
Cavaliers!

LBJMVP is considered somewhat coolLBJMVP is considered somewhat cool

i was playing my last home game my senior year of high school on parents night.

it was a tie game against our rival team with like 15 seconds left and they had the ball. the point guard was dribbling at the top of the key and with like 8 seconds he starts dribbling to the rim. my teammate blocked it off the rim and while everyone is staring at the ball i sprint toward our basket. my teammate throws a perfect pass and i lay it in as time expires.

the whole student section was chanting my name. i was getting picked up by my teammates. they ended up adding a second back on because the other team called a timeout, which suck cause it kept the student section from rushing on the court.

it was awesome man. i still have the game film for it to.

here is me getting lifted in the air... one of my favorite pictures.

secondly... in like middle school we were playing 21 on a 7 and half foot call and i straight up dunk on my friend and ended up with my legs over his back like i was riding him like a horse. everyone there went crazy.

Last edited by LBJMVP : 07-25-2013 at 12:11 AM.
LBJMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
jstern
College star

jstern has decent reputationjstern has decent reputation

Today I went to play for the first time this year. 2 on 2, one of the neighborhood teenagers grew and was not like 6 inches taller than me. I could not guard him, it was depressing, I'm getting older and he was killing my team. We lost that game, and he destroyed us. He just kept pinning me down, and turning around and I couldn't get to it, and he kept blocking my shots when I got by him.

But then I got motivated, because I have a high IQ when it comes to moves, so as he was pinning me down, when his teammate would try to pass him the ball, I would do this spin move and get in front of him. That gave me extra energy. And in the second game his team was beating my team 16 to 4 points. I just wanted to win, so we managed to tie the game up, and then I just isolated him, kept crossing him and laying it up with my left hand for the last 5 possessions or so.

Beat his team, but the best part was him saying at one point saying, "I can't guard him." It was really satisfying because he's so much taller now and his moves are so much more solid.

Last edited by jstern : 07-25-2013 at 12:11 AM.
jstern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:21 AM   #10
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJMVP
here is me getting lifted in the air... one of my favorite pictures.

Good stuff. My last regular season game against my rivals didn't quite go that well. They were mediocre while we were coming off of a 15 game win streak. We beat them by double digits earlier in the year and had to win a second time to earn a share of the conference championship. We were up by two in the waning seconds then this had to go and happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcMrhOzZhfU
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #11
WayOfWade
Returning AUG 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
Good stuff. My last regular season game against my rivals didn't quite go that well. They were mediocre while we were coming off of a 15 game win streak. We beat them by double digits earlier in the year and had to win a second time to earn a share of the conference championship. We were up by two in the waning seconds then this had to go and happen: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CcMrhOzZhfU
Dang, that stinks. Must've felt like the villain walked away the winner.
Old 07-25-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
LongLiveTheKing
Go HEATLES!

LongLiveTheKing has decent reputationLongLiveTheKing has decent reputation

I just love burying threes whenever I play. I can't find my greatest moment but I just love when people talk trash and I end up schooling them.
LongLiveTheKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:45 AM   #13
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayOfWade
Dang, that stinks. Must've felt like the villain walked away the winner.
Yeah, it wasn't the coolest thing ever. But it probably made a great memory for the other fellows.
Rake2204 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:49 AM   #14
Laker Logic
I hit open 5-footers

Laker Logic has decent reputationLaker Logic has decent reputation

My most memorable game was a pickup game about a year after I moved into a new neighborhood, about a block away from a nice outdoor court.

I was already more than 10 years out of high school, married, and a shadow of my former self in athletic terms, but I'd gotten got into a routine of going to the park for at least an hour, 5 nights a week, just for exercise.

The park was in was a pretty quiet suburban neighborhood in SoCal (Pasadena) with a lot of parks and gyms, so it wasn't an everyday magnet for games. As a result, I'd spend hours at a time by myself, working on off-hand dribbling, or baseline turnaround jumpers, or below-the-FT-line bank shots from either side.

It was really just for variety and to keep from being bored, but in hindsight it's by far the most consistently I've ever practiced (as opposed to playing either pickup or organized games).

Because I was a little older, I was consciously working on weaknesses in my game, so in some ways I knew I was getting "better" - I remember getting incredibly comfortable with the ball, and thinking through and developing moves that would give me options from anywhere on the court.

Depending on who showed up on a given night, I was also playing everything from 1-on-1, to 21 with 3-5 players, to full court games 2-3 nights a week, but the level of competition varied widely, and I really wasn't usually that focused on winning - I'd try to win games of 21 by only hitting bank shots, or playing strictly in the post, just to see if I could.

So one night a squad showed up from a local HS school team, kids I mostly recognized from the neighborhood and from watching the occasional HS game. They weren't all amazing players but were all 6' minimum, played for the same coach, played together daily, and we immediately had enough people for a full court run when they arrived.

But in true assholeish HS athlete form, they refused to break themselves up to even out an assorted group of younger kids, older dudes like me, and just a random person or two who showed up that night to shoot jumpers with an exaggerated arch.

We tried to argue them into breaking themselves up for parity, but when it was clear they wouldn't, I got offended at their arrogance and said fvck it, let's play.

I have never been so on fire, before or since, and it was like every facet of the game I'd been working on all of a sudden just clicked into place. It's probably the only game in my life where I could say I was unconscious, and it wasn't just shooting - I was throwing no look passes and drawing the defense to set up teammates for layups that were two passes away. It was to the point that when the game got close,my teammates were literally refusing to shoot and just kicking the ball back to me to do something, and every time I'd pull something out of my ass and hit a step back jumper or drive for an off-balance layup or just pull up for a ****-you jumper from 3 feet beyond the arc, and I must have shot 65% for the game.

I don't remember what my line was, and I won't lie - we ended up losing by two, but I was essentially playing 1 on 5 (cue Kobe jokes). My team should have gotten run off the court but we probably played for 35-40 minutes and had multiple ties and game points before we lost. Literally every other person on the court congratulated me afterwards for a hell of a game, and was asking me which college I'd played for. I clearly remember thinking, "this is how elite players feel - all the time."

It was amazing and no one was there to see it except those of us on the court and it never happened again for such an extended stretch, but I will never forget that night or that feeling.
Laker Logic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2013, 12:50 AM   #15
thabisyo
Local High School Star

thabisyo is starting to rub some people the wrong waythabisyo is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204

that sucks .... Sorry man
thabisyo is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: