Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-21-2013, 08:07 PM   #16
wakencdukest
Local High School Star

wakencdukest has decent reputationwakencdukest has decent reputation
Default Re: Andrew Wiggins wants to play for the Raptors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Superstars only want to play for big market teams. Not surprised by this at all.

If you're going by size, it is a big market. I'm guessing there's not enough black people, not enough night life, not enough hood? Otherwise, I've heard it's a beautiful city.
wakencdukest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 08:53 PM   #17
kaiteng
CONGRATS MAN XD

kaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekaiteng is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakencdukest
If you're going by size, it is a big market. I'm guessing there's not enough black people, not enough night life, not enough hood? Otherwise, I've heard it's a beautiful city.
There are loads of those around Toronto.
kaiteng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
Sham
Great young streetballer

Sham has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuMa
thats gotta be the first black guy who ever wanted to play for toronto raptors

Kevin Durant says hi....

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-ba...2883--nba.html

Quote:

Kevin Durant wanted to play for the Toronto Raptors

Every team in the league would love to have Oklahoma City Thunder star Kevin Durant on their roster. But as a young NBA fan growing up in Washington, D.C., which roster did Durant himself wish he could join? Surprisingly, the answer wasn't his hometown Washington Bullets/Wizards; as a matter of fact, as the 24-year-old three-time scoring champ said during an appearance on Thursday's episode of "The Dan Patrick Show," it wasn't even a team in the United States.

From that interview, by way of Mike Johnston of Sportsnet.ca:

"Believe it or not, I wanted to play for the Toronto Raptors, that was my favorite team. [...] They were a new team when I was growing up, so I wanted to be a part of that," Durant said.

Another reason Durant cheered for the Raptors was because he was a big fan of Vince Carter, Toronto's former franchise player.

"His enthusiasm he showed, just his athleticism, and how he brought Toronto from being one of the newer teams in the league to almost going to the finals. He changed the culture there in Toronto."

First thing's first: If Kevin Durant loves the Raptors, he has a funny way of showing it:

Clearly, there's been at least some love lost.

Still, it's not like he's making it up. After all, this isn't the first time Durant's referenced his childhood love of the Raps during a Twitter chat with fans back in 2008, KD acknowledged his dino-centric fandom. Unfortunately for Raps fans, though, the team's never had a chance at landing Durant.

For one thing, Toronto was without a first-round selection in the Durant/Greg Oden-headlined 2007 NBA draft after packaging its first-round pick with center Michael Stewart in a September 2002 trade that brought back reserve swingman/cousin of Tracy McGrady cousin Lamond Murray and a 2004 second-rounder. For another, their own first-round choice would've done them no good, as they were slated for the No. 22 pick after a Chris Bosh- and T.J. Ford-led Raptors squad went 47-35 to win the Atlantic Division the previous season; Durant, you'll recall went second to the Seattle SuperSonics, after the Portland Trail Blazers tapped Oden No. 1 overall.

For a third, Durant never reached free agency, as the relocated Thunder re-upped the young star to a five-year, $80 million max-level contract as soon as they could in the summer of 2010. Oh, well. There's always the summer of 2016, when Durant's extension runs out, I guess. The Raps might have pretty clean books by then, so anything's possible!

Durant tells Patrick that he loved Carter's play growing up, which is of course understandable, because he was basically the most exciting thing alive for his first three seasons or so in Toronto. However, he also says that he loved the Raptors because they were a new team in the league and he loved their jerseys; as a result, despite the fact that the Carter-era Raps only wore them for one season, I'm going to choose believe that Kevin Durant's desire to play for the Toronto Raptors growing up stemmed from a desire to someday wear a giant dinosaur on his chest both at home and on the road. To which I can only say: Been there, bro.
Sham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 09:57 PM   #19
kenny817
Good High School Starter

kenny817 is popular on this boardkenny817 is popular on this boardkenny817 is popular on this boardkenny817 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haymaker
Hopefully the Raptors will tank again.

It's not on purpose
kenny817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #20
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The whole "superstars want to play in big markets" thing should have died with the Miami Big 3 a few years ago. As most know, Miami is not a large sports market.

Miami-Ft. Lauderdale isn't even in the top half of greater metro areas in terms of market size.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011...-numbers-game/

I really truly hope Wiggins ends up in Toronto. That would be awesome. My only fear as that his presence might sway the Cavs' Canadian players (Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett) to join him. One thing is for sure... Canadian basketball is making a splash in recent years. Back-to-back no. 1 picks? Pretty amazing.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 07-21-2013 at 10:08 PM.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 10:49 PM   #21
Ron Jeremy
I airball my layups

Ron Jeremy has an OK reputation so far

Last edited by Ron Jeremy : 07-21-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Ron Jeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 PM   #22
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Burgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected posterBurgz V2 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakencdukest

Wrong on all accounts, but it is a beautiful city. Compared to a city of comparable size it has very little crime, very clean, very safe. If players were smart they would jump at the opportunity to play here. The tax thing is always such a deal breaker but it isn't even that bad if you live in the 'burbs.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #23
Flash31
Local High School Star

Flash31 is a pretty well-respected posterFlash31 is a pretty well-respected posterFlash31 is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno

when has Canda,much less Toronto EVER been helped

The league this season had to apolgize to Toronto 4 TIMES FOR COSTING THEM GAMES,and Tor is constantly being screwed and insulted by the league and refs

If anything Stern and his prortege will make sure he goes to one of their favorite markets,Boston or LA

Couldnt have them not get a rising star or not be good,Theyre the favs,it would be a league travesty iof the two teams who won over 50% of all the titles werent good,and the two teams whove been in over 65% of all finals to not get a star

Come on,hometown stars only apply to US teams and teams Stern sees fit to reward

CHI,CLE,NY
Flash31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:34 PM   #24
Just2McFly
By Any Means

Just2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputationJust2McFly has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
The whole "superstars want to play in big markets" thing should have died with the Miami Big 3 a few years ago. As most know, Miami is not a large sports market.

Miami-Ft. Lauderdale isn't even in the top half of greater metro areas in terms of market size.

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2011...-numbers-game/

I really truly hope Wiggins ends up in Toronto. That would be awesome. My only fear as that his presence might sway the Cavs' Canadian players (Tristan Thompson, Anthony Bennett) to join him. One thing is for sure... Canadian basketball is making a splash in recent years. Back-to-back no. 1 picks? Pretty amazing.

The Miami metro extends way more than just to ft lauderdale tho. I don't understand TV markets, when I lived in West Palm Beach, I still watched heat games like everyone else in Miami because I was apart of their market
Just2McFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster
Love how the kid is being chastised for expressing where he'd like to live and work, even picking a city in his home country to hell with him!

who is chastising him?
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: