Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 07-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
hawkfan
Jeff Teague Fan

hawkfan has no real reputation yet.
Default How will the Utah Jazz do this season?

How will the Utah Jazz do this season?
hawkfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
Gabuyaux
Decent playground baller

Gabuyaux has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: How will the Utah Jazz do this season?

Holy shit is their roster bad.
Gabuyaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
Skep
Jazz State of Mind

Skep has an OK reputation so far

Depends on how hayward/Favors/Kanter respond to playing 36+minutes a night. Its up in the air until then. Optimistically I say theyre battling for the 6-8seed. Pessimistic view point says theyll get a 6-10 lottery pick
Skep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:08 AM   #4
DirkNowitzki41
Monta Have It All

DirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDirkNowitzki41 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

right there with the suns and kings. probably even worse
DirkNowitzki41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:10 AM   #5
no pun intended
Mozart Basketball

no pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation hereno pun intended has an incredible reputation here

With Biedrins and Jefferson's colossal expiring contracts, they are due to signing a big-name free agent next off-season, so they aren't expecting to go big this season, let alone, make the playoffs. Until then, this season is just for them to test the waters of a Favors/Kanter frontcourt.
no pun intended is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:29 AM   #6
Dr. Cheesesteak
Local High School Star

Dr. Cheesesteak has decent reputation

ppl forget they won 43 games this past season. Sure Al and Millsap are gone. But Favors should be a beast now as a starter. Kanter was still raw from what games I saw, but he should improve. Hayward should blow up this season. Biedrins and Brandon Rush are solid bench players. All they need is for Trey Burke to live up to some of his expectations, rather than be shooting 2/14 each game. Sure the starting 5 could all be under 24 years old (first ever to all be born in the 90s?), but Corbin has proven he can coach. I don't see why ppl think this team is expected to be so awful, even in the new loaded West.

...that being said, I'd be surprised if they make the playoffs. So many teams in the West have improved, it's hard to see the Jazz getting 40 wins again. I'm thinking around 33~35 wins. Definitely not as bad as the Suns in the West (unless Hornacek is some coaching god). Definitely shouldn't be one of the bottom 10 teams in the league.
Dr. Cheesesteak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 04:30 AM   #7
WayOfWade
Returning AUG 2015

WayOfWade has an OK reputation so far

I think they'll win a game or two... hopefully.
WayOfWade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 05:22 AM   #8
HarryCallahan
Banned

HarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation hereHarryCallahan has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skep
Depends on how hayward/Favors/Kanter respond to playing 36+minutes a night. Its up in the air until then. Optimistically I say theyre battling for the 6-8seed. Pessimistic view point says theyll get a 6-10 lottery pick

That's a bit more than optimistic.
HarryCallahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:30 AM   #9
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by no pun intended
With Biedrins and Jefferson's colossal expiring contracts, they are due to signing a big-name free agent next off-season, so they aren't expecting to go big this season, let alone, make the playoffs. Until then, this season is just for them to test the waters of a Favors/Kanter frontcourt.

Marvin Gaye, Rush, Lucas, Hayward, Favors also expiring. The money will likely go to signing Favors and Hayward(possibly Tomic finally?) though not a big free agent. What money is left will be earmarked for Kanter and Burks the following year.

Quote:
Favors should be a beast now as a starter.

Defensively anyway. He's very raw and hasn't really shown much improvement. We'll see if The Mailman can make him into a better all around player. They've really been going at it from all reports. Foul trouble has been a problem with him too. We'll see if he can even stay on the floor. If he doesn't show big improvement I might look to trade him(with Burke) before giving him the Hibbert like contract he'll probably get especially with Gobert waiting in the wings.

Quote:
Kanter was still raw from what games I saw, but he should improve.

He is better than Favors and has shown the most improvement. Wait til his shoulder is healthy and Karl shows him how to throw that body around! He and Burks should be the guys they look to most for scoring.

Quote:
Hayward should blow up this season.

He's finished strong every season. Let's see if he can put it together for a full year finally. Based on what we've seen from Burke he and Burks to a lesser extent should be initiating the offense so he needs to lead them.

Quote:
Biedrins and Brandon Rush are solid bench players.

If they were really looking to compete which they're obviously not they would start Biedrins and either Rush or Jefferson and probably 3rd string talent Lucas based on what we've seen from Burke thus far. They're returning young guys have shown they can play but starting all of them together is a lot to ask when only Hayward is proven as a starter and some of his best ball has been coming off the bench.

Quote:
All they need is for Trey Burke to live up to some of his expectations, rather than be shooting 2/14 each game.

Is that all? He looks like he should start the year in the D-League. Behind him you have Lucas who's a good end of the bench guy not a back-up. Let's hope They bring Neto over and let him compete for time and the starting job because he looked like the better player. I'm guessing the Jazz won't do that. They would look bad if their 2nd rounder continued to outplay the guy they traded up for.

Quote:
Sure the starting 5 could all be under 24 years old (first ever to all be born in the 90s?), but Corbin has proven he can coach. I don't see why ppl think this team is expected to be so awful, even in the new loaded West.
Because vets win. They'e had a mix of vets and kids the past two years with vets taking the leading role. Now they will be heavy on the kids. The vets could all be traded by the trading deadline(hopefully Marvin anyway!)

Quote:
...that being said, I'd be surprised if they make the playoffs. So many teams in the West have improved, it's hard to see the Jazz getting 40 wins again. I'm thinking around 33~35 wins. Definitely not as bad as the Suns in the West (unless Hornacek is some coaching god). Definitely shouldn't be one of the bottom 10 teams in the league.

I think they could challenge the 9 win 76ers. Their pg position could be the worst in the league and it wasn't very good last year. Biedrins could be on the bench behind other young guys like Evans and Gobert. Evans has played well when giving the opportunity and now has a jump shot but can he be a regular? I figured Gobert for the D-league but he looks like a perfect fit. I can see why Sloan liked him. Jerry would play him now.

Rush is coming off ACL surgery. Jefferson doesn't appear to have a lot left in the tank. Burks hasn't even been in the rotation full time the past two years and should be one of their top two scoring options now. Will he play the one? He and Hayward are certainly the two guys that should have the ball in their hands most feeding Kanter in the post in the half court and pushing the ball when they can.

On the bright side Marvin is out for the first month or two! They will be running without Jefferson to slow them down. They will be playing Jazz ball again in the half court without Jefferson stalling the offense. Defensively all their young guys appear to be very capable and Jefferson won't be getting killed in the pick and roll(have fun with him Charlotte!). They've got a chance to be very exciting at both ends of the floor.

I realize tanking is the big thing these days but getting pounded every night is not a good thing. These guys have gotten used to competing and now they could be getting beat badly every night. It's not something you want to get used. Look at the teams that are in the lottery every year. Where has tanking got them? Could be a long painful season. Should be interesting anyway. They will have one of the top four picks in the draft I'd think but with so many teams tanking who knows?
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 06:35 AM   #10
GreatHILL
Local High School Star

GreatHILL has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkNowitzki41
right there with the suns and kings. probably even worse

lmfao funny mavs fans, did u see the mavs roster? nothing but trash players

have fun with moped driver
GreatHILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 08:11 AM   #11
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I'd probably pencil them in for 30 wins, they'll probably be wildly inconsistent though. I reckon that if they all fired at the same time, they could take down some good teams, but their youth and inexperience will mean they may get beaten by worse teams also.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:16 AM   #12
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

45 wins. 8th seed.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 10:59 AM   #13
Thorpesaurous
NBA rookie of the year

Thorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableThorpesaurous is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I don't see them being able to sign a big a FA even with the money. It's just not a destination most players are dieing to go, fair or unfair, and they're hardly alone.

But what they may be able to do with those expirers is trade them to some other team for their slightly longer bad contract to free up room for that team in FA, and as a tax for doing eating the extra money, get a young controllable asset along with it.
Not looking at contracts or anything, but something like Beidrins 1 year in exchange for Jeremy Lin's 2 (which includes that poison last year), which frees up some money for Houston next summer, but in exchange the Jazz get to take Terrance Jones who they can control on the cheap for three years or so, and try to convince to stay easier then getting a stranger to come, if he turns out. (Totally hypothetical and unresearched, but something like that).

I hate to put too much weight into a weeks worth of summer league games too, but it bothers me how mediocre Burke looked. Especially since I had some doubts about him to begin with.

All in all though I don't think it's impossible for them to compete for the last spot or so in the playoffs. Although that supposes everything turns out as good as possible. Hayward explodes. Burke winds up having sort of an out of no where ROY campaign like Lillard last year. Both bigs thrive in their full time rolls. And all the depth they have, which is pretty substantial, plays well.

Or they're slotted to be picking somewhere from 8 or below.
Thorpesaurous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:07 AM   #14
alenleomessi
hey girl

alenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong wayalenleomessi is starting to rub some people the wrong way

i dont know probably lottery, but what i know kanter will have a huge season, most improved, and 15/10 at least
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2013, 11:50 AM   #15
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorpesaurous
I don't see them being able to sign a big a FA even with the money. It's just not a destination most players are dieing to go, fair or unfair, and they're hardly alone.
Jazz know they're not a big FA destination, which is why they're stockpiling future draft picks again. Clearing their cap space is for two reasons. First, they'll use it this year on deals like the already completed GSW trade to score themselves draft picks and secondly, it still provides them with the required flexability to extend both Favors and Hayward next year, without getting too close to the tax line.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: