Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 07-07-2013, 11:50 PM   #16
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Default Re: Who can the Lakers get in 2014 FA????

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
THIS

2014 draft is LeBron or bust actually. All other players are restricted (The Kyle's, George, and Wall's). 2015 is the BIG year with Love, Rondo, Hibbert, and LaMarcus. If I were in the front office I would be aiming for this RIGHT NOW.

Lakers need to be smart with their cap next season. Maybe sign one years deals or sign Kobe and Gasol to low paid $$$ in 2015. I hope they are cultivating a plan as we speak. But this means we will have 2 seasons coming up of sub par b-ball.

We shall see.
I don't think Lebron will enter free agency. He took such a drubbing last time around he's going to avoid that as long as possible into 2016 or grab the first extension offer that comes along
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 11:52 PM   #17
longtime lurker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by daily
I don't think Lebron will enter free agency. He took such a drubbing last time around he's going to avoid that as long as possible into 2016 or grab the first extension offer that comes along

If the Heat lose next year he's gone. You can quote me on that.
longtime lurker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:05 AM   #18
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by longtime lurker
It's a dicey scenario considering Bosh, but you have to remember NBA players aren't always about championships, sometimes they want a change of scenery or different opportunities. If the Heat win the championship next year I say there's no chance that Bosh or Lebron leave. If they lose next year, especially before even making the finals than Lebron is gone for sure considering he's a front runner. If Lebron leaves, Bosh is going to bolt and LA could be a good landing spot. Carmelo is king of New York right now, but it all depends how things start looking with the Knicks, he's less likely to leave since the Knicks will have cap space themselves in a couple seasons, but he's already shown a strong interest in playing in LA. Kobe and Carmelo have a good relationship and they've also successfully played on Olympic teams which are loaded with talent. I have no reason to believe they wouldn't coexist and that Kobe isn't willing to give Melo the keys to the team provided that Melo proves himself.

The important thing about this is that the Lakers need to be an attractive destination for free agents. This is why I'm against the whole tanking idea. If the Lakers tank, they may end up with a number 1 pick but they'll be seen as playing with old Kobe and a rebuilding team(Dallas for example). This is why I'm more in favour of making a playoff push so they'll be viewed more favourably by potential free agents. Sign some young free agents to cheap deals so they can show case their talents and at best make a playoff push, at worse they'll build their value and get traded for picks. Otherwise if they're just going to tank anyways then trade Gasol, Nash and Kobe(pretty much impossible due to his contract) and be prepared for a full rebuild.

I agree, I wasn't saying Bosh definitely won't leave I just don't see him leaving if LeBron doesn't leave or if Miami wins next season, whether that happens or not who knows, but if you win 3 titles in a row and 4 times in a row in the finals I highly doubt anyone would want to leave that time, although the problems may mount with Wade's injuries and aging, depends a lot on the personality and temperament of the players, I think Bosh is likely to stay in Miami because he does strike me more as a type of player willing to sacrifice numbers for championships. Although if he feels he is deeply under appreciated or anything like that he well could leave, or if LeBron leaves he might follow him who knows, I agree that I don't see them leaving if they win three titles, even if they make the finals and lose I think they stay, I don't see LeBron leaving unless the team as a whole go backwards and a fair bit backwards for him to say yeah I've won 3 championships here or 2 championships but I can't win anymore, I think Wade and Bosh would have to contribute very little next year or them to do poorly in the playoffs for LeBron to leave, although I think Cleveland are going to be a very enticing team to go backwards. I don't so much see LeBron going to another different team (although before Andre went to the Warriors I thought it'd be fascinating to see him on that team). I would also agree on the Melo + Kobe, I think they could get along, but there is also a possibility they could really clash with their scoring mentalities, depends how Kobe progresses with age and how he accommodates others, he showed this year in patches he could really be past first, but then he kind of went too pass orientated instead of taking shots he would make an odd pass so I think if he can find a balance between shooting and passing preferably not extreme of either I think they could get along, but maybe they could clash due to mentalities and both liking the ball and isolation plays etc.

I think 2014 is potentially good but as I said before I think it could be more of a consolidation year of free agency or more building blocks than consolidating, I think 2014 you make mild improvements and then present a viable team for the 2015 free agents with players who are in my opinion more likely to come to the Lakers. Although who knows with current potential management maybe the potential future with cap space won't be as great as some are idealizing. Or with D'Antoni as coach, I don't see that many players wanting to play for him to be honest (decent to good offensive coach but I'd be really put off by how virtually married he is to his system and this year only seemed to change when the players changed themselves without him doing it, although maybe he did change it just seems like the players changed without D'Antoni). Although might be a little harsh I don't think that many would or with a potentially old Kobe depending on how he modifies his game with or in the twilight period of his career. Although maybe neither will be there in 2015 who knows. I just think 2014 you just try and add a few solid pieces, maybe re-sign Kobe and Gasol to smaller deals if they will take them I don't know how much Kobe would demand if he is on a two year deal, hopefully he's willing to take a large pay cut, I'd love to see some of the players in the 2015 class join the team, especially go after Rondo if he is a free agent/doesn't re-sign with Boston.
Lakers91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:07 AM   #19
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:
If the Heat lose next year he's gone. You can quote me on that.

Do you think if they make the finals and lose he will leave?
Old 07-08-2013, 01:30 AM   #20
longtime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakers91
I agree, I wasn't saying Bosh definitely won't leave I just don't see him leaving if LeBron doesn't leave or if Miami wins next season, whether that happens or not who knows, but if you win 3 titles in a row and 4 times in a row in the finals I highly doubt anyone would want to leave that time, although the problems may mount with Wade's injuries and aging, depends a lot on the personality and temperament of the players, I think Bosh is likely to stay in Miami because he does strike me more as a type of player willing to sacrifice numbers for championships. Although if he feels he is deeply under appreciated or anything like that he well could leave, or if LeBron leaves he might follow him who knows, I agree that I don't see them leaving if they win three titles, even if they make the finals and lose I think they stay, I don't see LeBron leaving unless the team as a whole go backwards and a fair bit backwards for him to say yeah I've won 3 championships here or 2 championships but I can't win anymore, I think Wade and Bosh would have to contribute very little next year or them to do poorly in the playoffs for LeBron to leave, although I think Cleveland are going to be a very enticing team to go backwards. I don't so much see LeBron going to another different team (although before Andre went to the Warriors I thought it'd be fascinating to see him on that team). I would also agree on the Melo + Kobe, I think they could get along, but there is also a possibility they could really clash with their scoring mentalities, depends how Kobe progresses with age and how he accommodates others, he showed this year in patches he could really be past first, but then he kind of went too pass orientated instead of taking shots he would make an odd pass so I think if he can find a balance between shooting and passing preferably not extreme of either I think they could get along, but maybe they could clash due to mentalities and both liking the ball and isolation plays etc.

I think 2014 is potentially good but as I said before I think it could be more of a consolidation year of free agency or more building blocks than consolidating, I think 2014 you make mild improvements and then present a viable team for the 2015 free agents with players who are in my opinion more likely to come to the Lakers. Although who knows with current potential management maybe the potential future with cap space won't be as great as some are idealizing. Or with D'Antoni as coach, I don't see that many players wanting to play for him to be honest (decent to good offensive coach but I'd be really put off by how virtually married he is to his system and this year only seemed to change when the players changed themselves without him doing it, although maybe he did change it just seems like the players changed without D'Antoni). Although might be a little harsh I don't think that many would or with a potentially old Kobe depending on how he modifies his game with or in the twilight period of his career. Although maybe neither will be there in 2015 who knows. I just think 2014 you just try and add a few solid pieces, maybe re-sign Kobe and Gasol to smaller deals if they will take them I don't know how much Kobe would demand if he is on a two year deal, hopefully he's willing to take a large pay cut, I'd love to see some of the players in the 2015 class join the team, especially go after Rondo if he is a free agent/doesn't re-sign with Boston.

I think a lot of whether Lebron leaves Miami is how the team players. I mean look at this year there were already articles comparing this team to the Cavs. Another year older means another year to decline. I don't think they get viable help unless all 3 players opt out at the together and take a paycut to sign some more help or they trade Bosh. We already know Lebron doesn't have loyalties to a team and the NBA is all about the story, Lebron is too so I could see a reunion in Cleveland the most likely destination. If Lebron leaves Bosh is gone.

I agree that it's important to look toward 2014/2015 and that the Lakers don't blow their wad on the 2014 draft class. But they have to make a significant signing in 2014 and make signings that compliment the team instead of just going for the name. Just look at the Rockets, a team's fortunes can change in just 2 seasons. If Lakers can get Kobe and Pau to commit to taking pay cuts, then 2014 should be used as a time to acquire assets by taking on contracts and signing at least one free agent. Sign two if they can clear extra capspace from Nash's contract. Otherwise they should be a playoff team in 2014 with space for 1 max contract in 2015.
D'Antoni's not going to make it past next season which is why I think Dwight was an idiot for giving up so quickly but that's a completely different matter.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:05 PM   #21
lakersNUMBA1
I hit open 5-footers

Damian Lillard is very underrated. I really like his game. Kobe seems to think so too. We should pick him up, before Nash leaves.
lakersNUMBA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #22
DKLaker

Quote:
I think a lot of whether Lebron leaves Miami is how the team players. I mean look at this year there were already articles comparing this team to the Cavs. Another year older means another year to decline. I don't think they get viable help unless all 3 players opt out at the together and take a paycut to sign some more help or they trade Bosh. We already know Lebron doesn't have loyalties to a team and the NBA is all about the story, Lebron is too so I could see a reunion in Cleveland the most likely destination. If Lebron leaves Bosh is gone.

I agree that it's important to look toward 2014/2015 and that the Lakers don't blow their wad on the 2014 draft class. But they have to make a significant signing in 2014 and make signings that compliment the team instead of just going for the name. Just look at the Rockets, a team's fortunes can change in just 2 seasons. If Lakers can get Kobe and Pau to commit to taking pay cuts, then 2014 should be used as a time to acquire assets by taking on contracts and signing at least one free agent. Sign two if they can clear extra capspace from Nash's contract. Otherwise they should be a playoff team in 2014 with space for 1 max contract in 2015.
D'Antoni's not going to make it past next season which is why I think Dwight was an idiot for giving up so quickly but that's a completely different matter.

Lakers 91 and longtime lurker, thank you guys for the excellent posts, this is the type of discussion we need to have on ISH
I apologize for my part of the garbage that happened in some other threads....stuff that I did not start.

I seriously question whether we should sign Pau at any price after this season, he is very injury prone, unwilling to play through it and will only get worse......just my opinion.
I do hope Kobe forgets about the money and takes a major cut to help the team.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:10 PM   #23
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

Quote:
I disagree. Even if they don't land Lebron they can still sign some difference makers, gamble on some young prospects or take salary in a trade like Utah did and get draft picks in the process. They need to make a significant signing in 2014 and possibly leave space for one max free agent in 2015.

So take in players for cap space for 2015.
Like who?

And that just leads up to my point that 2015 is the year we make moves.

Imagine

pg Rondo
sg Kobe?
sf ?????
pf Love
c Hibbert or Marc Gasol
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #24
bladefd
Good college starter

There is one other possibility..

-Trade Nash for Shawn Marion's expiring contract.
-Amnesty MWP
-With MWP amnestied, we would be under the cap I think. That would give us the ability to use full MLE.
-Sign a PG to the full MLE.. I dont know who. Maybe Billups?

Last edited by bladefd : 07-08-2013 at 08:48 PM.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 10:25 PM   #25
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladefd
There is one other possibility..

-Trade Nash for Shawn Marion's expiring contract.
-Amnesty MWP
-With MWP amnestied, we would be under the cap I think. That would give us the ability to use full MLE.
-Sign a PG to the full MLE.. I dont know who. Maybe Billups?

Player 2013/14
Kobe Bryant$30,453,000
Pau Gasol $19,285,850
Steve Nash $9,300,500
Metta $7,727,280
Steve Blake $4,000,000
Jordan Hill $3,500,000
Jodie Meeks $1,550,000
Chris Duhon $1,500,000
Robert Sacre$ 988,872
TOTALS: $77,316,630

The MINIMUM roster size is 13 players, if you remove Metta, this puts us at 8 so we are forced to add 5 players.....so we are guaranteed to be over the cap barring a trade or two. This is why I don't understand how we let cheap labor like Goudelock, Morris and Ebanks go. We seriously need cheap filler.
Old 07-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #26
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Player 2013/14
Kobe Bryant$30,453,000
Pau Gasol $19,285,850
Steve Nash $9,300,500
Metta $7,727,280
Steve Blake $4,000,000
Jordan Hill $3,500,000
Jodie Meeks $1,550,000
Chris Duhon $1,500,000
Robert Sacre$ 988,872
TOTALS: $77,316,630

The MINIMUM roster size is 13 players, if you remove Metta, this puts us at 8 so we are forced to add 5 players.....so we are guaranteed to be over the cap barring a trade or two. This is why I don't understand how we let cheap labor like Goudelock, Morris and Ebanks go. We seriously need cheap filler.

Thanks for the numbers. I was looking for those. I agree that letting morris and goudelock go may have been rash, considering those guys don't make much. Ebanks it was expected. No one used him, and he got to a point in games where he was just laughing. He wants to play and he couldn't do it here.
So now we've subtracted Artest and added Kaman. That gives us only 3 more cheap guys to go. The Steve Nash deal is whats making me scratch my head a little bit. I don't think he deserves the 9 million. Maybe 5 would suffice seeing that he isn't even the primary ball handler. But we let go of 30 million with Dwight walking and Metta being amnestied. then about 50 million with Kobe and Pau alone. Kobe shouldn't make anymore than 13 mill and Pau should make 10 mill or less. If Kobe can take a big paycut, maybe we let Pau walk if we can land two big time players, like Kevin love and Paul George.

Edit: Rumor is that Sasha and Farmar want to come back but I doubt they make minimum wage at this point. I don't see how we could afford them.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #27
longtime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
Lakers 91 and longtime lurker, thank you guys for the excellent posts, this is the type of discussion we need to have on ISH
I apologize for my part of the garbage that happened in some other threads....stuff that I did not start.

I seriously question whether we should sign Pau at any price after this season, he is very injury prone, unwilling to play through it and will only get worse......just my opinion.
I do hope Kobe forgets about the money and takes a major cut to help the team.

As far as Pau and Kobe in order to entice them to take pay cuts all management has to do is point to two players...Payton and Malone. If Lakers management can sell these guys on a game plan I believe they'll resign. Ideally you'd like to have Pau as the first big off the bench. I know Lakers fans will be like whoa whoa Pau's not a bench player, but he'll be a year older with more miles on his body. He can only play Center and he doesn't provide a defensive presence. I can see Kobe and Pau taking a pay cut 2 year deals with player options on the 2nd year, but management can't screw up. They have to land at least one big free agent and sign some young players with potential. No, oh well we gave it a shot, we'll just fill up the roster with min. contracts and wait for 2015. That's just not a good way to do business.

Oh and stop getting into internet beefs! It aint that serious
Old 07-09-2013, 02:07 AM   #28
longtime lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisoner
So take in players for cap space for 2015.
Like who?

And that just leads up to my point that 2015 is the year we make moves.

Imagine

pg Rondo
sg Kobe?
sf ?????
pf Love
c Hibbert or Marc Gasol

What I mean by taking players for cap space is exactly what Utah did. They took in expiring contracts and got picks as compensation. The problem is though that the Lakers can't think 2015 or bust. That's absolutely the worst thing they could do. I can guarantee you there's no way they'll all 3 of those free agents that you've mentioned. And they won't get any of them if they're coming off an appearance in the lottery. If the 2014 free agent list doesn't quite pan out they need to sign one major free agent, a couple young players with high potential, take on expiring deals for picks from other teams looking to clear cap space and maintain 1 max free agent space for 2015. There's no way Lakers sign 3 max contracts in 2015 unless there was collusion like the Heat. It's only happened once in the NBA and too many things can go wrong between now and then.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:47 AM   #29
DKLaker

Quote:
As far as Pau and Kobe in order to entice them to take pay cuts all management has to do is point to two players...Payton and Malone. If Lakers management can sell these guys on a game plan I believe they'll resign. Ideally you'd like to have Pau as the first big off the bench. I know Lakers fans will be like whoa whoa Pau's not a bench player, but he'll be a year older with more miles on his body. He can only play Center and he doesn't provide a defensive presence. I can see Kobe and Pau taking a pay cut 2 year deals with player options on the 2nd year, but management can't screw up. They have to land at least one big free agent and sign some young players with potential. No, oh well we gave it a shot, we'll just fill up the roster with min. contracts and wait for 2015. That's just not a good way to do business.

Oh and stop getting into internet beefs! It aint that serious

Great stuff!!!! I like your ideas.....and yes, Pau off the bench would work much better than as a starter.

Yeah, you are right about staying out of beefs, but I'm a competitive, feisty old man I'll try
Old 07-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #30
Lakers91
Decent playground baller

Quote:

Too many things to reply to at once darn Australian American time difference , I think it's pretty much LeBron stays in Miami or goes to Cleveland, I think he took a bit too much heat or well virtual hatred for leaving Cleveland in the first place I don't think he wants to be seen I suppose team jumping again, I don't blame him for leaving Cleveland I am not in the position to judge because I've never been in that position to say I would have done different but I can understand why so many were disappointed. Which is part of the reason I see him staying in Miami or going home to Cleveland, at least then he's kind of not being as disloyal, because he could spin it that he left things undone in Cleveland or left an unpainted full picture/I.E he didn't bring them a championship, so he could return he could say marketing wise that he is returning to finish the final chapter in his career/to make things right and I think fans would accept that more than if he jumped ship to another team, or he could just stay in Miami. He well could leave in a totally different scenario that's just my interpretation of whether he will leave, in all likelihood I can't see him leaving Miami for anywhere else than Cleveland if he cares about his image and that side of sports anyway.

I kind of do agree, I'd like to see a big signing to try and then entice free agents the year after that, just the ones that might actually be that caliber I don't know, I think the best out of any potential massive signing in 2014 would be Carmelo I think he's far more likely to come here than LeBron but I don't know how likely that is anyway, he might want to leave New York because of their cap situation and Amare's huge contract which is another two years after the 13-14 season I think.

Do you think they will fire D'Antoni then? I mean it doesn't make that much sense to me if they were just going to fire him in 2014, although it didn't make a great deal of sense in the first place, but I just think considering firing D'Antoni at the end of the off season I think may have wanted Dwight to come back because I think that was part of the reason he left along with clashes with Kobe and maybe the pressure of the second biggest media market in the NBA (New York first in terms of the media pressure I'd think although LA close enough behind), I just think if they were going to get rid of D'Antoni it would have been this off-season to try and sway Dwight, it's almost just a year too late getting rid of him just seems a little pointless to me. To not get rid of him to maybe sway your all star center to staying but then get rid of him the next season, why not just get rid of him this offseason? Not criticizing you thinking he won't make it more just if the Lakers do that what's the point or incentive to not do it this off-season instead? To make it appear like you have given him a 'fair go' at coaching or a full pre-season so then you can get rid of him and say yeah it wasn't getting better even with a full training camp?
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: