Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 07-01-2013, 10:55 AM   #31
Grey Dawn
KG cancer to the NBA

Grey Dawn has not been impressing people
Default Re: Bargnani close to being acquired by the Knicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwyjibo
Not sure about that just yet.

Derozan and/or Gay being traded would be the sign for me. I think Derozan is more likely. I can't see the Raptors dumping Gay on a team without having to take back an equally bad contract.

I wonder what you now do with actual good players like Lowry and Amir. Those two should still have positive value in a trades.

While often doggingly pessimistic, I usually agree with the just of what you're saying, but Lowry is equally garbage as Gay is, his contract is just less bad. They both suffer the same selfsih, inefficient, ball-magnet, immature tendencies that prevent the team as a whole from getting better.
Grey Dawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:08 PM   #32
Dr.Funk
Decent college freshman

Dr.Funk has decent reputationDr.Funk has decent reputation

Quentin Richardson has agreed to a three-year deal as part of a sign-and-trade in order for the New York Knicks and Toronto Raptors to complete their Andrea Bargnani trade.

Richardson will only have one guaranteed season on the contract with the Raptors.
Dr.Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #33
Pistol Pete
Who Dat? Geaux Saints!

Pistol Pete has decent reputationPistol Pete has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Funk
Quentin Richardson has agreed to a three-year deal as part of a sign-and-trade in order for the New York Knicks and Toronto Raptors to complete their Andrea Bargnani trade.

Richardson will only have one guaranteed season on the contract with the Raptors.

Pistol Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:42 PM   #34
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Qwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterQwyjibo is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Dawn
While often doggingly pessimistic, I usually agree with the just of what you're saying, but Lowry is equally garbage as Gay is, his contract is just less bad. They both suffer the same selfsih, inefficient, ball-magnet, immature tendencies that prevent the team as a whole from getting better.
I guess we disagree there. I though Lowry was very good last year. Moreso when he was allowed to attack the rim and look for his own offense. A big part of the Raptors problems last year was too much Gay and Derozan and too little Lowry and Valanciunas on offense, IMO.

He'll never be an All-Star but I get confused when I sometimes read that people would rather have someone like Brandon Jennings instead of Lowry.
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 02:44 PM   #35
Beebo
****ing Rudy Gay man

Beebo has decent reputationBeebo has decent reputation

End of the BC / Bargs era.
Beebo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #36
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

My initial reaction was excitement. My secondary reaction after looking at the deal makes me somewhat upset that it took so long and BC being gone to get rid of him. But anyways, him being gone is something that was badly needed so 2 needs (him and BC's departure) are addition by subtraction.
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 07:25 PM   #37
AC Earl
I airball my layups

AC Earl has an OK reputation so far

can we flip Camby, Novack and Derozan to Clips for Bledsoe and Butler? make it a 3 team trade. Clips get an athletic wing, outside shooter and a veteran big man off the bench, plus they shed Butler's salary.

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=kpvooum
AC Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:02 PM   #38
DJMason
High School JV MVP

DJMason is considered somewhat coolDJMason is considered somewhat cool

http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...9307634512#_=_

Great article at Grantland about the trade and why it is ridiculous on NY's end. I still can't believe it happened. All hail Masai.
DJMason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #39
bokes15
Playoffs!

bokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbokes15 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

From the article:
Quote:
Regardless, pinning hopes on him remains a leap-of-faith proposition at best. It’s very hard to find a 7-foot NBA player who shoots less than 40 percent from the field and averages fewer than four rebounds per game. It’s even harder to justify spending $10 million per season on one.
Toting this as a "win now" move for the Knicks I find to be utterly ridiculous. He's exactly the type of player they don't need and they're giving away picks and a solid defender/rebounder to get him.

As for the comment section, i'm dying here:
Quote:
It's mind-boggling that a human being whose standing reach is only 10 inches shorter than the rim could make less than half of his attempts from within 4 feet of the basket.

Quote:
Knicks fans are going to love Bargnani. He combines the outside shooting, poor defense and terrible rebounding of Novak with the Italian-being of Gallinari on a contract worth nearly both of their deals put together.

Quote:
That is the first time I've ever, in my approaching 2 decades of Raptor fandom, heard the phrase "Acceptable defence" and "Bargnani" in the same sentence. Enjoy NY, enjoy.

Quote:
I realized "Il Mago" was not a compliment years ago. I mean, have you ever seen a 7 footer disappear on a basketball court? Andrea has been doing that for a looooong time. Vegas Summer League MVP if i ever saw one.

Needless to say, the general consensus here is "don't let the door hit your ass on the way out."
bokes15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:10 AM   #40
Jballer
Local High School Star

Jballer has decent reputationJballer has decent reputation

Without being the lightning rod of discontent here in Toronto - the Knicks must figure that they have a floor stretcher 4 and change of pace guy. I dunno what they see but fine...

As to what the Raps get ? I think it is all bandaid stuff too.. we didnt get much. A middle of no where draft pick in 2 years

Novak is a d liability. Where you gonna hide him on the floor in a team that needs to improve D? QRich is probably here for a couple of weeks till they can package his contract with something else ; I assume the non guarenteed aspect of the deal is what makes it so marketable.

Camby is the only interesting piece. I admit I like vets but seriously if Camby shows up - I like the poster who mentioned mentoring Val. Despite his age do we honestly think he will be more of a liability on the floor than Grey ? If he can soak up 15 minutes per game and allow Amir to play at the 4 ... that is actually a nice combination for a year or two.

Basically Barges = middle 1st rounder

Last edited by Jballer : 07-02-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Jballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:21 AM   #41
Jballer
Local High School Star

@ Acearl... I think that is the big question. The extra money coming at TO is a sign and trade without guarentees. Our new GM did fine with a weak card hand...but I think the next move is likely more important and may not happen soon. I would assume Novak is going no where; his type of player are plentiful in this league. We are unsure if Camby will report or retire. I wonder how much QRich's deal is worth... did he come off a vet exception ?

___

QRich on his non guarenteed 3 year deal must be valuable to teams in tight cap space... + Derozan ? = ???

Qrich + Lowry ? = ???

QRich + Ross + Aaron Grey (assuming Camby plays) ? = ???
Old 07-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #42
RapsFan
Great college starter

RapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected posterRapsFan is a pretty well-respected poster

This is all about getting Bargs off the roster, and getting a 1st rounder. There is no need to analyze the players brought back. They will have limited impact if they stay, and get not much in return if dealt.
RapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 10:41 AM   #43
Jballer
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RapsFan
This is all about getting Bargs off the roster, and getting a 1st rounder. There is no need to analyze the players brought back. They will have limited impact if they stay, and get not much in return if dealt.

Maybe.

Although if getting him off the roster was issue 1 - amnesty was available. The first rounder is what I indicated is the only real point of the deal..and it will be 15th or 22nd or essentially a middle of no where pick.

The point of the players coming back are equally important because you didnt use the amnesty. You have to pay them... guess what its about the same money as Barges! So now they ride the pine like Barges rode the stretcher last year. You still have no cap flexibility.

If they have limited impact - well so did barges - so actually there is no net benenfit to the team. Then the amnesty would have been a better option. Swallow the pill and forget the 1st rounder in 2 years that brings a "middling talent" at best.

In fact I think a looking at the pieces is very important to see if they can fill a temporary slot or potentially be repackaged for another player soemwhere you have a need....

The GM has a rep of looking for something now and something in the future.

Well the 20th selection in 2016 is the something in the future... I just dont see the now unless its Camby.

Last edited by Jballer : 07-02-2013 at 10:44 AM.
Old 07-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #44
clipse
I brick open layups

clipse has an OK reputation so far

By having the amnesty available, we can offer cap relief to a team that is packaging a good player with a bad contract signed under the old CBA. For instance, aquire Bledsoe and Butler (not sure if his contract was signed under the old CBA) for Demar & another piece, then turn around and amnesty Butler. We can then get out from the Demar contract and Butler's, while getting a PG that could still benefit from seasoning to help with the tank. Also allows us to see if Ross can handle more, and if he develops, great, otherwise, more L's for more ping pong balls.
clipse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 01:26 PM   #45
Legends66NBA7
Birds of a Feather

Legends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLegends66NBA7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJMason
http://www.grantland.com/blog/the-tr...9307634512#_=_

Great article at Grantland about the trade and why it is ridiculous on NY's end.

They will have a lot of cap space after a couple of seasons.

So by then, either Bargs produces well for them (long ways away) and gets another contract or the Knicks can get some lucrative free agents to their team.
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: