It's been a few years since I last posted something like this. The forum guidelines should be enough.
Generally the trolls know they're trolls so I don't answer their complaints often. However there have been a number of circumstances where posters I don't view as trolls have made posts that do violate rules. It's for the sake of this type of poster that I'm putting up this thread. Jeff does tolerate a bit of stupidity but there are smaller offense that will still get your posts deleted and greater offenses that can get you banned if someone draws Jeff's attention to it. Every offense is not caught but we aren't as random as some of you may think.
Lighter offenses that put your post at risk of deletion:
1. ****, ******, ******. Notice the series of asterisks? That's because these words are banned. So when you clever kids do some minor alteration to get around the auto-censor you are still violating the rule, you just avoided the censor. And especially when you are using a word that is offensive to a certain group of people, be it racially or to a certain gender? That's one of the main reasons a forum will have moderators.
2. "Why did my LeBron thread get deleted?" James and Bryant are the two most popular players in the game so a lot of conversation about them is to be expected and is tolerated. What is undesirable (and pushes you towards troll territory) is making a bunch of topics about the same subject. You really think we don't have 20 topics about Bryant's contract extension? We do. A good rule of thumb is, read the first 2 pages of topics. If you don't see a topic like yours, go ahead and post it. If however you do, please just post what you have to say in that topic. Please do not just make a topic so you can get some attention, post a topic because you have something new and interesting to share.
3. If you disagree with your topic being deleted, ask a mod, preferably in pm, why it was deleted instead of reposting it and starting a delete war that can and often does lead to your banning. I absolutely do not promise that you will like the reply you receive and we don''t generally like to step on each other's toes (undeleting a topic someone else deleted) but if you have a real case to make and aren't just some trolling idiot you will be listened to.
There are no doubt other actions that will get your post deleted. Generally a post that's not about the NBA is fair game. If it's interesting I may leave it alone but another mod may not. These are the main things that I wanted to address in terms of just deletion.
Not going to name names but yes, there have been times when I got sick of what a poster was doing, sent a few example links to Jeff and let him deal with it as he saw fit. And this isn't some special power I possess, any poster can do this. So don't do the following:
1. Repeated reposting of a deleted topic. If it's removed even once you should pm a mod and ask about it, assuming you aren't a trolling idiot. IF it's deleted more than once, I assure you, it's not a mistake. I don't think anyone gets any enjoyment out of the deletion process and it can end up wasting both of our time. I don't like wasting my time and am going to send a complaint. And yes, that gets you banned.
2. Sexual fantasy topics about NBA players. You think he's cute? Ok, fine, whatever. Don't make a topic about it.
3. Bigoted attacks. We will not catch everything, we don't have the time to read everything. But not just mods but any poster can report you and when something seriously offensive is brought to my attention I will pass it along. You can call each other idiots, jerks, twits, etc. but there is a line and if you can't tell what crosses it you shouldn't be posting anyway.