Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 PM   #1
Akhenaten
Great young streetballer

Akhenaten has an OK reputation so far
Default Question about FTA in playoff series by All-Time Greats

I posted this reply in response to a poster who is of the opinion that refs/SNAQ carried Wade to his first ring.

I am well aware that this guy is a troll, however I am also well aware that there are people who sincerely believe this (the ref thing more than the SNAQ thing), the Shaq thing is specious and not even worthy of a rebuttal, the freethrow thing though isn't wholly ridiculous considering that on facevalue Wade shot an inordinate amount of FT's in that series.

A player shooting 16 FTA in a game doesn't happen everyday, let alone over the course of 6 or 7 games. So I'm curious to know who are all the players in NBA history who have shot 13 or more FT's per game in a playoff series (5+ games) and what is the correlation/s in all of those instances?

Here's my theory:

Jordan has a playoff run (17 games in the 89 playoffs) where he avg 14FTA, including a 8 game stretch where he avg 16 per game, including a 2 games where he shot over 25 FT's (27 in one, 28 in the other), of course Jordan was taking a lot of shots 23 to be exact and presumably many of those shots were in the paint.

Similarly prior to the Finals Wade was attempting less than 18 shots per game but in the Finals he was shooting over 23 field goals per game.

Lebron also has a series where he avg 16 FTA (09 ECF).

It's no coincidence that these guys are probably the 3 greatest perimetre paint scorers/penetrators/finishers of all time. Wade's series is the only one that has received widespread criticism, because his happened in the Finals, his team WON, he had consecutive games of 20+ attempts, and his occurred in the Finals.

IMO the correlating factors are: high volume of FGA, a SUPREME penetrator capable of avg 8+ attempts per game in the paint and finish at an avg clip of 65-70% at the basket, and then finally playing against a team that has no one to matchup with said player.
Akhenaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:33 PM   #2
Living Being
Entity of Existence

Living Being has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Question about FTA in playoff series by All-Time Greats

The big difference here is that Snaq carried Wade. Wade should not have had that many FTA, so obviously the refs were in his favor.
Hence the name DWhistle.
Living Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!

NumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Question about FTA in playoff series by All-Time Greats

Snaq?
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: