Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-26-2013, 12:13 AM   #31
jlip
Good college starter

jlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation herejlip has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: If Duncan gets that 5th ring....

Well according to the stupid logic on ISH, he better win this ring, because if he loses he will no longer be perfect in the Finals. If Duncan loses in the Finals his legacy will take a hit, because according to many, losing in the Finals is worse than not even making it to the Finals.
jlip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #32
Magic 32
College superstar

Magic 32 has a bad reputationMagic 32 has a bad reputationMagic 32 has a bad reputationMagic 32 has a bad reputation

If he wins the Finals MVP.

1 Jordan
2 Russell
3 Wilt
4 Magic
5 Bird
6 Kareem
7 Duncan
8 Kobe
9 Shaq
10 Hakeem
Magic 32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:16 AM   #33
Odinn
I make 50-feet jumpers

Odinn is considered somewhat coolOdinn is considered somewhat coolOdinn is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpliii
No disrespect to Cap, but if Duncan has a dominant finish to this run I might give him that edge.
There is no way Duncan could be ranked ahead of KAJ.
If you do not remember; KAJ was the FMVP in 1985 at his 38 while averaging 26/9/5/2/1 on 60% against Parish&McHale.

Peak, longevity, accolades. Whatever you say a criteria, KAJ has the edge. I guess the only criteria that Duncan being better than KAJ is being a franchise player. But that doesn't mean KAJ was a bad franchise player.
Odinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #34
Magic 32
College superstar

Magic 32 has a bad reputationMagic 32 has a bad reputationMagic 32 has a bad reputationMagic 32 has a bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinn
If you do not remember; KAJ was the FMVP in 1985 at his 38 while averaging 26/9/5/2/1 on 60% against Parish&McHale.

Peak, longevity, accolades. Whatever you say a criteria, KAJ has the edge. I guess the only criteria that Duncan being better than KAJ is being a franchise player. But that doesn't mean KAJ was a bad franchise player.

and he should have won the 1980 FMVP.
Old 05-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #35
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
How does 5 rings + 3 Finals MVP's not = Greatest winner of the era? Who has a better resume than that?

I swear Kobe fans don't even understand basic math.

How does a five year drought between finals appearances with two first round exits and zero back-to-back titles make him the "greatest winner of our era"? Are you really that stupid that a team only "wins" if they win in the finals, but if they lose repeatedly in the playoffs, it doesn't count?
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #36
GoSpursGo1984
Great young streetballer

GoSpursGo1984 has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Depends on how he plays. If he has a good series and wins FMVP, I'd bump him up to 7th ahead of Shaq. Although I'd still take peak Shaq over peak Duncan, Duncan winning a 5th ring as the team's best or second best player this late in his career would be too much to ignore.

I would put him ahead of Shaq already. He never played with a top 15 all time player like Kobe but still lead his team to Championships pus he has had been great for so long.
GoSpursGo1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:17 AM   #37
Noob Saibot
NBA lottery pick

Noob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected posterNoob Saibot is a pretty well-respected poster

It is crazy to see TMac win a ring and not play large minutes to contribute. but Duncan, man if he wins he's going up to Magic and Bird status automatic.
Noob Saibot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:18 AM   #38
MavsSuperFan
NBA rookie of the year

MavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this boardMavsSuperFan is popular on this board

I rank Duncan above Kobe right now.

4 rings as the main man > 2 rings as the Main man + 3 rings as a sidekick
MavsSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:19 AM   #39
DMV2
Keep on Rockin in...

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It'd be pretty cool if he gets F-MVP.
He'll have three(four total) Finals MVP in three different decades. 90's, 2000's and 2010's(if it happens).
That's gotta be the first time ever.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:20 AM   #40
fpliii
sick of agendas...

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odinn

Recency bias and overreaction.

I tend to underrate KAJ to a massive extent at times, so best not to take my comments on him too seriously. I do think a case could be made to legitimately put them in the same approximate class of player though if TD finishes super strong.
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:21 AM   #41
Magic 32
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
I rank Duncan above Kobe right now.

4 rings as the main man > 2 rings as the Main man + 3 rings as a sidekick

So Kobe is just a sidekick, but Parker's FMVP can be ignored (as well as Horry and Manu being decisive factors in 05).
Old 05-26-2013, 12:22 AM   #42
CJ Mustard
Local High School Star

CJ Mustard has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialQue
How does a five year drought between finals appearances with two first round exits and zero back-to-back titles make him the "greatest winner of our era"? Are you really that stupid that a team only "wins" if they win in the finals, but if they lose repeatedly in the playoffs, it doesn't count?
Kobe had a 4 year drought. Lebron had a 4 year drought. Shaq's last trip was in '06. Nobody from this era consistently gets to the Finals. Duncan would be tied for the most rings of this era, and already has the most FMVP's (along with Shaq).

Who from this era could say they have a better resume than Duncan if he wins this year? Nobody. Thus, he's the greatest winner of the era. Need me to walk you through anything else?
CJ Mustard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:23 AM   #43
Kiddlovesnets
NBA Superstar

Kiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation hereKiddlovesnets has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by MavsSuperFan
4 rings as the main man > 2 rings as the Main man + 3 rings as a role player watching Shaq's one man show

Fixed
Kiddlovesnets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:25 AM   #44
Mr. I'm So Rad
So What If It Is

Mr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMr. I'm So Rad is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I always find it amusing how in comparison to every other Top 10 GOAT on ISH, Tim Duncan never gets flak for having a high quality team around him. Everyone just assumes he's always played with mediocre or shitty teammates.
Mr. I'm So Rad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2013, 12:26 AM   #45
Magic 32
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Mustard
Kobe had a 4 year drought. Lebron had a 4 year drought. Shaq's last trip was in '06. Nobody from this era consistently gets to the Finals. Duncan would be tied for the most rings of this era, and already has the most FMVP's (along with Shaq).

Who from this era could say they have a better resume than Duncan if he wins this year? Nobody. Thus, he's the greatest winner of the era. Need me to walk you through anything else?

This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: