Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #16
dh144498
Banned
 
dh144498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,894
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingwillball
Bottom line one on one Lebron would blow by Bird to the basket for layups and dunks while bird would shoot contested fadeaways.. Sorry Bird fans hang on to your argument now as a few years from now Lebron will easily pass him at this pace.



bu bu but don't Lebron stans always say: it's a 5 on 5 game?
dh144498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #17
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 10,947
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
How can he be your favorite player and youve never seen him play on a consistent basis. Meaning im sure youve seen highlights or some of his greatest games etc.

This.
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:12 PM   #18
Blue&Orange
NBA lottery pick
 
Blue&Orange's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,886
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

You give Lebron, Bird's athleticism and Lebron wouldn't even play in the NBA.


The game is called Basketball, if you want to worship athletes go watch the Olympic games or the world championship in athletics.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #19
hitmanyr2k
Complete Player
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: PA
Posts: 5,451
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

All things being equal Bird isn't going to spend the last 5 minutes of a winnable playoff game bitching up and passing to scrubs to bail him out while he stands in the corner because he's scared of his own shadow. It's a no-brainer. Bird is the more skilled player + he was a killer.
hitmanyr2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:14 PM   #20
dh144498
Banned
 
dh144498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,894
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
You give Lebron, Bird's athleticism and Lebron wouldn't even play in the NBA.


The game is called Basketball, if you want to worship athletes go watch the Olympic games or the world championship in athletics.


I wouldn't go that far, he'll still be a top 30 player in the league.
dh144498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #21
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,926
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuniva_dAMiGhTy
This.
Hes the most confusing poster on the site. Hes a 22 year old Laker fan that lives in Golden State whose favorite player (Larry Bird) and team (1986 Celtics) hes never seen play. Hell he wasnt even born during the Celtics dynasty. Hell he wasnt even born in the 80s.
97 bulls is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #22
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star
 
ShaqAttack3234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 12,992
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

It is very close, but I still have to go with Bird. Lebron is much better as a defender, finisher, ball-handler and open court player. But Bird was the much better shooter despite Lebron's improvements, a much off the ball player, a much better rebounder, a better post player and a better passer. Plus, intangibles, particularly leadership are in Bird's favor. His left hand was also as good of an off hand as any player you'll see. Check out the "left hand game" to see what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHAQisGOAT
Bird a bit more than 1 inch taller and by like his 5th season Larry was pushing over 230 lbs.... do ya really think Lebron's 280 lbs??? Or even 270...

I doubt 280, but 270 is pretty likely for Lebron. I don't know why people make a big deal out of this and refuse to believe it. Lebron has been 265-270 for 5 seasons now.

This is Lebron when he was a 245 pound rookie. And yes, he was officially weighed at 245 at the pre-draft camp.



Considering Lebron has obviously put on 20-25 pounds since then and pretty much every source has put Lebron in the 265-270 range, I don't know why people have such a hard time with this.

As far as Bird, I think his top weight in the 80's was 240ish, but I'm not sure.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:17 PM   #23
Carbine
Facts Are Misleading
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: A Court Near You
Posts: 7,943
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

LeBron.

He's too well rounded now on offense (can beat you any way you want it) and is clearly a better defender.
Carbine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #24
Rondo
High School Varsity 12th Man
 
Rondo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 749
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingwillball
Bottom line one on one Lebron would blow by Bird to the basket for layups and dunks while bird would shoot contested fadeaways.. Sorry Bird fans hang on to your argument now as a few years from now Lebron will easily pass him at this pace.

Shame basketball isn't a one on one playground game, huh?
Rondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #25
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life
 
TheReal Kendall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Roll Tide Roll
Posts: 6,872
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

I haven't watched much of Bird play but I think I would go with Bird because Lebron relies on his athleticism too much. Bird was just skills and bball IQ. Plus he was tough minded and didn't back down when things got tough. Just a tough nosed country down to earth guy. To me if you take away Lebron's athleticism it's gonna be tough for him to score cause he can't shoot well and he has no post moves.
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:19 PM   #26
HardwoodLegend
The Magical T-Mac
 
HardwoodLegend's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: The Rec Center
Posts: 3,686
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
You give Lebron, Bird's athleticism and Lebron wouldn't even play in the NBA.


The game is called Basketball, if you want to worship athletes go watch the Olympic games or the world championship in athletics.

So dumb.

Size and athleticism have always been assets in this sport.

Give MJ Bird's athleticism, and Bird may very well be the better player.
HardwoodLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #27
tikay0
Banned
 
tikay0's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 4,858
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Hes the most confusing poster on the site. Hes a 22 year old Laker fan that lives in Golden State whose favorite player (Larry Bird) and team (1986 Celtics) hes never seen play. Hell he wasnt even born during the Celtics dynasty. Hell he wasnt even born in the 80s.

Dude. You can spot these Lebron stans from a mile away.

"Ya see, I love Hakeem, but I think Lebron has a slightly better post game."
tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #28
Nash
NBA rookie of the year
 
Nash's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 6,612
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue&Orange
You give Lebron, Bird's athleticism and Lebron wouldn't even play in the NBA.


The game is called Basketball, if you want to worship athletes go watch the Olympic games or the world championship in athletics.
Give Nate Robinson Shaq's body and he'd the the goat.

Anyway, Lebron is elite at both ends of the floor and during Bird's time the game was played at a much higher pace.

But I'm not going to say anything because I've never watched Bird play, just like most of you.

What I do know though is that Bird(and his buddy Magic) has plenty of times said that Lebron is up there with Jordan as the best player in the history of the game.

Last edited by Nash : 05-23-2013 at 06:23 PM.
Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #29
dh144498
Banned
 
dh144498's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 1,894
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikay0
Dude. You can spot these Lebron stans from a mile away.

"Ya see, I love Hakeem, but I think Lebron has a slightly better post game."


who actually said that?
dh144498 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #30
TheReal Kendall
Love Live Life
 
TheReal Kendall's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Roll Tide Roll
Posts: 6,872
Default Re: peak Bird vs peak Lebron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingwillball
Bottom line one on one Lebron would blow by Bird to the basket for layups and dunks while bird would shoot contested fadeaways.. Sorry Bird fans hang on to your argument now as a few years from now Lebron will easily pass him at this pace.



Lebron doesn't even have a quick first step like that. So how did you come up with this conclusion?
TheReal Kendall is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:23 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy