Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Trade Idea: Cavaliers and Timberwolves

Just an Idea.......

Cleveland - #1 Pick, #19 Pick, and filler if necessary

Minnesota - Kevin Love

I know many fellow Minnesotans/Wolves fans are tired of Love's attitude about remaining in Minnesota, the direction of the roster/franchise, and his commitment to making the Wolves a winner. Personally, I think that each month/year that goes by only diminishes his trade value considering he's extremely likely to opt out and leave after two more seasons.

With the #1 pick they can either add an athletic shot-blocker next to Pekovic (he actually WANTS to remain in Minnesota) or the elite shooter needed next to Rubio in McLemore.

They also can then package their own #9 with their new #19 to move up into the 4-7 range which teams are reportedly seeking to deal, and address whichever position they didn't solve with their #1 pick (SG or big)

Cleveland gets a bonafide All-Star for next to Kyrie, which would form an absolutely lethal pick-and-roll combo, and would absolutely be a playoff team moving forward without compromising future cap flexibility.

Thoughts???
BankShot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:41 PM   #2
IncarceratedBob
just a flesh wound

IncarceratedBob is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIncarceratedBob is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: Trade Idea: Cavaliers and Timberwolves

Love won't stay in Cleveland.
IncarceratedBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
GOBB
Sixers|Eagles|Phillies

GOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableGOBB is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Good trade for both teams. Like it for both a good deal. Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love? I see a commercial in their future. Wait what?
GOBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #4
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This seems to be the dream scenario, hearing a lot of people in town calling into talk radio and whatnot.

Maybe if Kahn was still running things, this would be an outside possibility. That is assuming the rumors of a strained relationship between the FO and Love were true.

With Flip Saunders the new guy running things, I really don't see them dealing their best player and arguably the best PF in the league right from the jump. Didn't Love represent the T-Wolves at the Lottery a few a nights ago?

It seems to me that franchise is doing whatever it can to make sure Love stays. That's just the general impression I get.

From Cleveland's perspective, it is fun to think about, but Love's injury history would concern me. Then again, we're almost certainly going to draft a guy who is coming off of ACL surgery, so that would be less of a factor assuming Noel is the pick.

Outside of that? Being able to keep Waiters and Thompson and add a player like Kevin Love to go with that young nucleus? Yeah, I'd probably do it... As intriguing of a prospect as I consider Noel.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:45 PM   #5
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

BankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBankShot is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOBB
Good trade for both teams. Like it for both a good deal. Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love? I see a commercial in their future. Wait what?

I honestly think its something both GMs should at least look at... Kyrie and Love are both elite shooters and good/great passers, so building a winning team around the two of them shouldn't be too hard. Love/Varejao isn't great at protecting the rim, but it should be a formidable front line on defense and ridiculously nasty on the glass.

Like I said before, Pekovic wants to stay in Minnesota, and with Love off the books it will open up money for a worthy deal for him to remain a Timberwolf, while also adding one or two high-end prospects. They can take a hard look at Noel at #1, or decide if they want to get a shooter in McLemore.

Rubio - McLemore - AK47 - Williams - Pekovic

I dont know.... if Cleveland is serious about moving the #1 for a proving veteran all-star, it seems like a good place to start.

Also now that Kahn is gone, I don't have to worry about him taking Burke with the #1 pick
Old 05-23-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
KyrieTheFuture
College superstar

KyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputationKyrieTheFuture has a terrific reputation

Don't want anything to do with Kevin Love
KyrieTheFuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #7
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

The biggest concern, I guess, would be defensively. That's why Noel is such an obvious pick and so exciting to most Cavs fans. Our interior defense has been horrid for the last three years.

Love wouldn't help in that area. Hibbert showed last night why it can be such a huge thing to have a shot blocker around the rim. In fact, of the four teams left, three of them have an excellent defensive presence around the basket, which makes guys have to alter/abandon their scoring ability at the hoop.

I guess it all comes down to how highly Cavs' management thinks of Noel. John Calipari said in a recent interview that the Cavs scouted Noel during the college basketball season more than any other team in the NBA.

This is the kind of trade I think it would take to pry that No. 1 pick away from us.

The more I think about it, though... We REALLY need a defensive presence around the rim. Bad. It just so happens this draft has the best rim protecting prospect to come out in a long time. It really is a perfect fit, especially since Varejao will be coming back from injury and we don't necessarily need Noel right off the bat.

I'm torn.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 05-23-2013 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:48 PM   #8
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
This seems to be the dream scenario, hearing a lot of people in town calling into talk radio and whatnot.

Maybe if Kahn was still running things, this would be an outside possibility. That is assuming the rumors of a strained relationship between the FO and Love were true.

With Flip Saunders the new guy running things, I really don't see them dealing their best player and arguably the best PF in the league right from the jump. Didn't Love represent the T-Wolves at the Lottery a few a nights ago?

It seems to me that franchise is doing whatever it can to make sure Love stays. That's just the general impression I get.

From Cleveland's perspective, it is fun to think about, but Love's injury history would concern me. Then again, we're almost certainly going to draft a guy who is coming off of ACL surgery, so that would be less of a factor assuming Noel is the pick.

Outside of that? Being able to keep Waiters and Thompson and add a player like Kevin Love to go with that young nucleus? Yeah, I'd probably do it... As intriguing of a prospect as I consider Noel.

I understand them wanting to keep Love and all.... but the perspective around the Twin Cities (at least that of semi-informed NBA fans) is that its only a matter of time before it turns into a Melo-drama, even if they make the playoffs the next two years.

Like I said I absolutely don't care for his attitude, and if he eventually will want out I'd rather do what the Jazz did with D-Will and deal him before his value takes a serious hit.

I'm not sure Rubio-McLemore-AK47-Williams-Pekovic is a playoff team right away, but it certainly has a higher ceiling that Rubio-Ridnour-AK47-Love-*maybe*Pekovic..... especially moving forward.
Old 05-23-2013, 05:51 PM   #9
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
I guess it all comes down to how highly Cavs' management thinks of Noel. John Calipari said in a recent interview that the Cavs scouted Noel during the college basketball season more than any other team in the NBA.

It will depend on the medical report, I'm sure.... I'd also be concerned at how ridiculously thin he was at the combine... something like 25 lbs lighter than Davis which is skinny as is.

He's a nice prospect but he won't be seriously contributing until at least midway though the 2014-2015 season.... and I think the FO and the city and fans want to be a viable playoff team before then.

The Love trade makes that happen.... IMO
Old 05-23-2013, 05:59 PM   #10
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
It will depend on the medical report, I'm sure.... I'd also be concerned at how ridiculously thin he was at the combine... something like 25 lbs lighter than Davis which is skinny as is.

He's a nice prospect but he won't be seriously contributing until at least midway though the 2014-2015 season.... and I think the FO and the city and fans want to be a viable playoff team before then.

The Love trade makes that happen.... IMO
Everything is contingent on the medical. If they don't like what they hear, I do think they do everything in their power to trade the pick. I'm assuming everything will check out with him medically when I say he'd be the reason to stay at No. 1.

Also, like I said above, the Cavs don't necessarily need him right away. With Varejao coming back from injury and Thompson/Zeller being a year older and more mature (TT took huge steps last year) with Speights coming of the bench, our front court is actually in decent shape. We can afford to stash Noel until he's ready and then bring him along slowly.

The weight doesn't concern me much at all. He was 228 during the season and he really doesn't look rail thin when you watch him play. Also, you brought up Davis, but I think KG was 6-11 215 pounds coming into the league at about the same age as Noel.

If a guy has the goods, that won't be what holds him back.

I've been watching a lot of tape recently on the kid and he really is a phenomenal natural athlete. To have a 7-4 wingspan and 9-2 standing reach and to be able to jump and move the way he can... It's a pretty rare combination in a 18-19 year old.

Right now, I'm totally sold on that pick. If Kevin Love is on the table, it might change things.... I just seriously doubt he's on the table. And, I think the T-Wolves would be foolish to make that trade for McLemore. I'm not quite as high on him as some others seem to be.

He's a nice prospect, but not No. 1 overall worthy, imo. His passivity bothered me at Kansas.

Last edited by RedBlackAttack : 05-23-2013 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:01 PM   #11
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by BankShot
I understand them wanting to keep Love and all.... but the perspective around the Twin Cities (at least that of semi-informed NBA fans) is that its only a matter of time before it turns into a Melo-drama, even if they make the playoffs the next two years.

Like I said I absolutely don't care for his attitude, and if he eventually will want out I'd rather do what the Jazz did with D-Will and deal him before his value takes a serious hit.

I'm not sure Rubio-McLemore-AK47-Williams-Pekovic is a playoff team right away, but it certainly has a higher ceiling that Rubio-Ridnour-AK47-Love-*maybe*Pekovic..... especially moving forward.
Interesting to hear it from a Minnesota fan's perspective. And, that makes a lot of sense if that is indeed the climate with the franchise. If he does force a trade later on, no way Minnesota gets anything close to the Nos. 1 and 19 picks in the draft. Probably nothing in the same ballpark, judging by recent All-Star forced trades.

That is also another aspect of this the Cavs would have to consider... They won't be trading #1 and #19 for a guy who is going to opt out in a year, especially not at this early stage of the rebuilding process. They'd have to be pretty certain Love is there for the long haul to even consider it, imo.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:08 PM   #12
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
That is also another aspect of this the Cavs would have to consider... They won't be trading #1 and #19 for a guy who is going to opt out in a year, especially not at this early stage of the rebuilding process. They'd have to be pretty certain Love is there for the long haul to even consider it, imo.

I'm pretty sure its two more years (2013/14 and 2014/15) that he's under contract, and an opt-out for the 2015/16 season.... but yeah i completely understand why that would be a major part of the decision-making process.

The real question is whether Love is unhappy in Minnesota because of the management and lack of star power, or his desire to be in a larger/sunnier market.

If its the roster, you can't go wrong with the top young PG and a ton of potential future capspace.... if he wants to be in LA/Houston/NY/etc, then he'll do what he wants to do
Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Interesting to hear it from a Minnesota fan's perspective. And, that makes a lot of sense if that is indeed the climate with the franchise. If he does force a trade later on, no way Minnesota gets anything close to the Nos. 1 and 19 picks in the draft. Probably nothing in the same ballpark, judging by recent All-Star forced trades.

Thats why I see this as a perfect opportunity. Cleveland wants to trade a #1 pick in a weak-ish draft for a legitimate veteran all-star, and the Wolves should want to get maximum value for a disgruntled all-star.

It almost makes too much sense if you ask me.... but that wholly depends on how the Cavs' FO views Noel.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:11 PM   #14
alenleomessi

alenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputationalenleomessi has a bad reputation

noel will be an impact player... love on the other hand, just numbers.
alenleomessi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:15 PM   #15
BankShot
5-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alenleomessi
noel will be an impact player... love on the other hand, just numbers.

I was really hoping the whole "Love empty stats" argument could be avoided in this thread... now it will inevitably be de-railed because of it.

It really is about tangible substance in a veteran All-Star PF versus the potential of a raw but talented athletic shotblocker or a sweet-shooting athletic SG.

For Cleveland neither rookie would likely be solely enough to push them over the hump into the playoffs, but could be fantastic complimentary pieces or even All-Stars for the future.

Its the known versus the unknown for the Cavs's FO right now.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: