Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 05-23-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation
Default Older ISHers, drop some knowledge about Ralph Sampson

I'm currently watching the Survive and Advance 30 for 30, and NC State has played Virginia three times, and each time Sampson has looked like a beast. I did some light research on him on bbreference and noticed that he seemed to only have 3 or so good seasons (20 and 10 in his rookie year ) and was selected first overall, and the next year the Rockets selected Hakeem.

Two 7fters on the same team? How well did they coexist? Better than The Admiral and Duncan?

How good could Sampson have been, barring injury (I'm asuming that's what cut his career short)
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:34 PM   #2
SHAQisGOAT
Decent college freshman

SHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat coolSHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat coolSHAQisGOAT is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Older ISHers, drop some knowledge about Ralph Sampson

Sampson never really lived up to the enormous hype, even before injuries but nevertheless a pretty good player, really tall with tremendous athleticism, also skilled.

They coexisted really well, great PF/C duo, Hakeem more as a C playing more inside and Sampson as a PF, could work well outside the paint, posted up when needed, could drive to the basket, had some really good handles for his size, nice passer.

That Houston team had a lot of potential, already a great team, beat the Lakers in 1986 but after Sampson's injury and also other guys with different issues, team fell apart.
SHAQisGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:36 PM   #3
IncarceratedBob
just a flesh wound

IncarceratedBob is starting to rub some people the wrong wayIncarceratedBob is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Hakeem would be nothing w/o Samp
IncarceratedBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:38 PM   #4
Derka
Go C's!

Derka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation hereDerka has an incredible reputation here

I remember seeing him in the 86 Finals and thinking he was just the tallest thing I'd ever seen.

Was hyped to be one of the most dominant players of his generation after a terrific college career. He never really measured up to those expectations due to injuries.
Derka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:48 PM   #5
millwad
NBA rookie of the year

millwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected postermillwad is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IncarceratedBob
Hakeem would be nothing w/o Samp

That's nothing but a lie, I've seen plenty of games from '86 and Olajuwon was the clearly the best player of the team.

In fact, Sampson some what choked in the finals of '86 against the Celtics.
He only averaged 14.8 points, 9.5 rebounds and 3 assists and less than 1 block per game over 6 games in the finals.

Olajuwon in the same series averaged 24.7 points, 11.8 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 3 blocks per game.
millwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
ShaqAttack3234
7-time NBA All-Star

ShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableShaqAttack3234 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad
That's nothing but a lie, I've seen plenty of games from '86 and Olajuwon was the clearly the best player of the team.

He only averaged 14.8 points, 9.5 rebounds and 3 assists and less than 1 block per game over 6 games in the finals.

Olajuwon in the same series averaged 24.7 points, 11.8 rebounds, 1.8 assists and 3 blocks per game.

From what I've seen and read about the '86 team, it seemed that Sampson could be rattled and taken out of his game quite easily. Plus, he didn't seem like the player who could be counted on as much in big games. On the other hand, while Hakeem had quite a temper in his early years and was undisciplined, he was a guy who seemed to come to play in big games right from the start. The '86 playoffs are a perfect example, same with the elimination game vs Seattle the following year, '88 series vs Dallas ect.

Hakeem had his flaws in his early years, like all young players do, but he clearly wasn't afraid of those moments or rattled in them, which is rare for players in their early 20s and first few years.

As far as their games, Hakeem's was just more effective as well. Sampson's versatility was quite effective and it seems that people didn't have a realistic idea of what type of player Sampson could be at his best because while he was over 7 feet, he was about 230 pounds soaking wet and couldn't play a power game. Hakeem on the other hand, seemed to play more of a power game compared to his peak mid 90's years. Sampson had a hook shot and would get put backs, but Hakeem was intent on going hard to the rim and dunking the hell out of the ball in the 80's which is much more effective than a 7'2" player who is essentially a small forward offensively. Hakeem also did already have his baseline fadeaway, though it wasn't as automatic as later and he didn't have all of the moves or the same poise in the post.

What was cool about their duo, though is that they could dominate the boards by pretty much playing volley ball.

Difficult to compare them to Duncan/Robinson, though because that duo was better defensively, much more poised with Robinson being a veteran and Duncan being a calmer player than young Hakeem and Duncan being more of a finished product coming out of college than Hakeem was.

Either way, it's clear that Hakeem was the man on the twin tower Rockets. But I suspect any post claiming Hakeem was nothing without Sampson is not meant to be taken seriously. This post was more because I think Hakeem's early career is underrated and because the twin tower Rockets fascinate me.
ShaqAttack3234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:41 PM   #7
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Here's what happened. Sampson and Olajuwon used to be called The Twin Towers. Then, 9/11 happened. Then, everyone realized it was offensive to call them the Twin Towers anymore. Thus, Sampson's career was over.

The End.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:18 PM   #8
305Baller
LeBron's ex-girlfriend

305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board305Baller is popular on this board

From the limited footage I have seen of him he ran the floor pretty damn well.
305Baller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Here's what happened. Sampson and Olajuwon used to be called The Twin Towers. Then, 9/11 happened. Then, everyone realized it was offensive to call them the Twin Towers anymore. Thus, Sampson's career was over.

The End.

sarcasm?
9erempiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #10
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Sampson was talented, but could get distracted easily. Not a very focused player on a consistent basis.

I always got the feeling that he played basketball because he was 7'4", not because he loved the game.

Due to his inconsistency, I remember that his Virginia team, which was #1 ranked, got shockingly upset in an early season Hawaii tournament final by local school Chaminade. It was the biggest sports story for the entire week.

In the other hand, Sampson was capable of doing the awesome, like when he beat Boston to reach the Finals with an incredible, no-look shot.

With more weight, and more focus he could have been so much better. I'm actually pretty surprised he was elected to the Hall of Fame. I bet he was too.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:22 PM   #11
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Totally off-topic...

I actually met Ralph Sampson when I was kid at the Shenandoah Apple Blossom Festival.

http://www.thebloom.com/celebrities-past.html

Check out 1988. It was a really cool event where a bunch of rich people get to mingle with celebrities from all walks of life. I was 9-years-old at the time and Sampson was like a creature from another planet, he was so tall and skinny. Really, really nice guy though. He sat and talked to me, my dad and brother for a good while.

As for his game, he was like a spider with a ridiculous wingspan, but not a really physical player. His game was based on finesse and he actually had really nice dexterity around the basket. Pretty skilled for a guy his size, actually. He even had a decent little jumpshot and was obviously a great shot blocker.

I'm trying to think of someone in today's NBA to compare him to, but there really isn't anyone. Actually, Anthony Davis sort of reminds me of Sampson in a weird way. Davis is probably more of a natural athlete, but Sampson was obviously much taller/longer.

This should give you some idea...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVjl0QRkLoI
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:23 PM   #12
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
In the other hand, Sampson was capable of doing the awesome, like when he beat Boston to reach the Finals with an incredible, no-look shot.
That was against the Lakers.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:25 PM   #13
9erempiree
26 yrs of watching NBA

9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board9erempiree has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Not to go off topic...you guys remember Sleepy Floyd?

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images...jpg?1295043320
9erempiree is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:27 PM   #14
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
That was against the Lakers.
You're right. My bad.
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:05 PM   #15
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by millwad

Only 3 assists from a guy 7'4 "?

His rookie year was his best. Wasn't as good at the 4. They should have drafted MJ to play with him

Quote:
With more weight, and more focus he could have been so much better. I'm actually pretty surprised he was elected to the Hall of Fame. I bet he was too.

He got up to 250 I think. I remember them showing him on tv curling 90 ib. dumbells. His body wasn't made to carry that much weight and is why he had knee problems. Had a great college career. That's why he's in the Hall. I remember his big match-up with Ewing. I think it was Ewing's freshman year. Hyped as the biggest thing since. Alcindor/Hayes.

Quote:
remember Sleepy Floyd?

Sure. Could fill it up.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: