Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-14-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
unbreakable
National High School Star

unbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default I got accepted to be a dorm RA.. any advice?

I just got grades back and I kept my GPA above a 2.5 so Im gonna be an RA afterall.... get my own room too

Very excited. Mid 20s, male, free rent free food..

Anyone got advice on how to follow the rules and how to enforce the rules on 18 yr old college kids twisted up on testosterone and hormones? Also im not allowed to date any of the girl residents (700 people live at this dorm.. probably around 60% are female) and i have to be very careful not to get into any trouble with beer or weed

Last edited by unbreakable : 05-14-2013 at 01:42 AM.
unbreakable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:45 AM   #2
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: I got accepted to be a dorm RA.. any advice?

Here's a piece of advice: nobody likes a dirty snitch. Don't be a power hungry biitch, a campus is for socializing not for soldiering.
macmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:49 AM   #3
unbreakable

unbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryunbreakable posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
Here's a piece of advice: nobody likes a dirty snitch. Don't be a power hungry biitch, a campus is for socializing not for soldiering.

i agree. however if i dont snitch in big things (like weed) i can get fired so im gonna tell them "zero tolerance on marijuana". i will also tell them "dont be stupid enough to smoke indoors at a campus facility. go to a friends house or somethiing"
Old 05-14-2013, 01:58 AM   #4
macmac
Gov'n

macmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablemacmac is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbreakable
i agree. however if i dont snitch in big things (like weed) i can get fired so im gonna tell them "zero tolerance on marijuana". i will also tell them "dont be stupid enough to smoke indoors at a campus facility. go to a friends house or somethiing"

See no evil, hear no evil. Don't go poking your nose around. I don't know about a position like this, not likely to make many friends. On top of that, you can't sleep around? What the fukk is the point of college? People gonna be avoiding you like the plague. You can forget about being invited to parties.

Blah. I say you shove this position in their faces. Start selling dimes and nicks to pay for food and board. You will make many more friends and the end result is the same, financially.
macmac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:04 AM   #5
unbreakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmac
See no evil, hear no evil. Don't go poking your nose around. I don't know about a position like this, not likely to make many friends. On top of that, you can't sleep around? What the fukk is the point of college? People gonna be avoiding you like the plague. You can forget about being invited to parties.

Blah. I say you shove this position in their faces. Start selling dimes and nicks to pay for food and board. You will make many more friends and the end result is the same, financially.

i cant sleep with girls that live in my dorm... everyone else is game. as for the rest you trippin
Old 05-14-2013, 02:07 AM   #6
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

After living in the dorms and not having any problems myself, I would advise a few things. First off, just hold floor meetings and tell them what things will be allowed, what won't, tell them you don't want to ruin their fun but there has to be guidelines.

As far as weed/alcohol goes, if it isn't in your face don't go looking for it. The dorms I lived in were 18 floors high, and when windy you could tell which sides of the hall would have air flowing into the room and which would have air flowing into the hallway (holding a lighter under your door). If you smell it it's pretty obvious. It's up to you in terms of punishment for offenders, though. I know of some RA's who got in trouble for not punishing when Hall Monitors would make their rounds through each floor and would smell it. I think for alcohol though, you should make them pour it out on the first offense then documentation on subsequent offenses.

Don't be the strict dickhead RA though, last year my friend said an RA knocked on his door saying he heard bottles clanking when my friend was just working out with dumbbells.
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:08 AM   #7
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

My advise: Quit. Being an RA means that you have to be too cautious about partying and others will be weary around you when they want to party. Find another leadership position if that is what you are looking for. At my school, I helped with orientation for incoming freshmen, which required me to be on good behavior for only 2 weeks.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:10 AM   #8
unbreakable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth
My advise: Quit. Being an RA means that you have to be too cautious about partying and others will be weary around you when they want to party. Find another leadership position if that is what you are looking for. At my school, I helped with orientation for incoming freshmen, which required me to be on good behavior for only 2 weeks.

the main thing im after is free rent and free food. theres no way to get that unless im an RA.

all i really do anyways is play ball at the rec, eat, study, and play video games. seems like the perfect gig for now.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:13 AM   #9
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbreakable
the main thing im after is free rent and free food. theres no way to get that unless im an RA.

all i really do anyways is play ball at the rec, eat, study, and play video games. seems like the perfect gig for now.

Fair enough. Remix gave some good advise then.

Here is a piece of advice based on experience with RAs I had. If there is quiet hours and you have to tell a group to keep it down, don't just poke your head in, tell them to be quiet, and then leave. You'll just look like you are being a dick (even though it is your job). My favorite RA was one who would swing by, remind everybody that it is quiet hours, but then would hang with us for the next 5 minutes. We then were able to see he was a good guy and as he was heading out, he'd just give one more reminder that. He also never threatened to get us in trouble. It was just reminders, even though he often had to tell us multiple times in a given night.

Last edited by Myth : 05-14-2013 at 02:17 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:14 AM   #10
Remix
SONICS FAN SINCE '10

Remix has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myth

Reminds me of this story that one of my older friends who just graduated the college I go to told me. He said when he was a freshman living in the dorms, he went to this off campus party where his RA just happened to be. His RA was smoking bud so one of them took a picture and the next day they showed him the picture and said, if you get us in trouble were showing Hall Gov this pic lol
Remix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remix

Reminds me of this story that one of my older friends who just graduated the college I go to told me. He said when he was a freshman living in the dorms, he went to this off campus party where his RA just happened to be. His RA was smoking bud so one of them took a picture and the next day they showed him the picture and said, if you get us in trouble were showing Hall Gov this pic lol

We had a picture of one of our RAs passed out in a shopping cart full of alcohol. But he was the cool one I was describing above, so we never had to threaten him with it.
Old 05-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #12
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

ProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableProfessorMurder is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Narc on everybody.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:39 AM   #13
Patrick Chewing
Cobra Kai Sensei

Patrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablePatrick Chewing is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Buy a crown and wear it every day. Rule with an iron fist. Be brave, bold, and comfort thy lonely maidens in your bed.

But seriously, I'd get a crown.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #14
HomieWeMajor
Thinking we local

HomieWeMajor has a terrific reputationHomieWeMajor has a terrific reputationHomieWeMajor has a terrific reputationHomieWeMajor has a terrific reputationHomieWeMajor has a terrific reputation

What's an RA ?
HomieWeMajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #15
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing

But seriously, I'd get a crown.

Yeah, just own it.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: