Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 05-14-2013, 05:08 AM   #16
flipogb
Banned

Default Re: during hot days do you drive with the AC on or windows down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by qrich
I've had a good taste of humidity living in L.A. for the first 20 years of my life. And, no clue on how it compares to the humidity in the south, but I'd prefer that over this.

Way I see it, humidity is like walking into a sauna. Dry heat is like walking into a clay oven.

im comparing living here in LA to my country (Philippines) which is tropical humidity so it could be different from the South, but I would prefer the summer there. being extremely sweaty is nasty but il take that over a headache in what feels like an oven like you mentioned
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:15 AM   #17
InspiredLebowski
Roy Hibbert Super Star

MY AC/heat only works if I have it on full blast, so usually windows down. BALLIN.
InspiredLebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:19 AM   #18
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Meh, if I recall, the sweat drying-up/evaporating is what helps you cool off when it's hot.

You don't sweat as much in dry heat, you just burn up like you have a fever. I usually try to roll with the windows down, but during the summer here it is just a no-go. We're not even into peak summer temps yet and it was still 100 degrees outside around 9 PM earlier.
PHX_Phan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:38 AM   #19
Cali Syndicate
well, well, well...

Windows down when rolling down the street smokin endo.

Ac when cruisin on the freeway smokin endo.

Don't sip gin n juice when driving. That's a big no no.
Cali Syndicate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 AM   #20
qrich
King Heno

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
You don't sweat as much in dry heat, you just burn up like you have a fever. I usually try to roll with the windows down, but during the summer here it is just a no-go. We're not even into peak summer temps yet and it was still 100 degrees outside around 9 PM earlier.

No kidding. Says its 86 right now and its 2 AM
qrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:04 AM   #21
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
No kidding. Says its 86 right now and its 2 AM

To me 90 degrees in Phoenix felt like 70 in Charlotte.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:23 AM   #22
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

My car's AC actually died last year. And the heat works, but only on full blast and sometimes it'll turn on without me asking it to, at which point I cannot turn it off. So... I'm a windows down person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX_Phan
I'm with KG on this one. Our sweat system tends to operate the same in any environment. It's the absorption aspect that varies depending upon the humidity. You still sweat a lot in dry heat, but there's more room in the air for your sweat to evaporate. You sweat, then a lot of it leaves.

In a humid environment, there's already so much moisture in the air, the sweat your body is releasing has no place to go. So a lot of it stays on your body and it feels as though you're sweating more when in fact, it's just a matter of your sweat having no place to go.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 11:24 AM   #23
Kaspah
We hoopin?

I live in Illinois, so I get all the seasons through the course of a year.

My driver side window is only up if my cars parked and off. If I'm driving, that window is always down.

I like the wind, I like jamming out with the windows down, and I'm a smoker so I am usually smoking while driving. When it gets super hot, like over 80-100 degrees, ill use the a/c on low with the windows down. I feel like a/c uses so much gas in the mustang.

Even during the winter when it's 0 degrees out here ill leave the window down while I smoke.

I dunno what it is, but dealing with the cold like that I always view it as a challenge. Like in my head, what if I got stranded outside and haaaad to deal with this cold? Then I proceed to keep the window down as if I am conditioning myself lol.
Kaspah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM   #24
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake2204
I'm with KG on this one. Our sweat system tends to operate the same in any environment. It's the absorption aspect that varies depending upon the humidity. You still sweat a lot in dry heat, but there's more room in the air for your sweat to evaporate. You sweat, then a lot of it leaves.

In a humid environment, there's already so much moisture in the air, the sweat your body is releasing has no place to go. So a lot of it stays on your body and it feels as though you're sweating more when in fact, it's just a matter of your sweat having no place to go.

This is kind of why I feel the dry heat is worse, at least from a health perspective. I don't deny that humid heat is a lot more unbearable on a general level. I spent a summer back east and it was probably the most uncomfortable living I've ever felt in my life. It was like I could never dry off after getting out the shower.

That being said, the dry summers here can be very dangerous if you don't take proper caution. Headaches, muscle stiffness, tunnel vision, light-headedness. When the sweat evaporates so quickly, it's hard to tell when you are dehydrated because of the rapid loss of water. We get quite a few yearly deaths, mostly from out-of-towners who underestimate the effect dry climates have on the body.

If you want to do any outdoor activities, sunscreen or protective clothing and tons of water is an absolute must. It's also smart to keep a drinking routine in mind, because you really won't know how much your body needs the water until you start feeling the effects.
Old 05-14-2013, 01:01 PM   #25
baller562
I airball my layups

You should never drive with your windows down, especially in traffic... a jammed freeway is one of the worse hazards to your health, especially if there's a lot of diesel trucks. Diesel fuel contains some particulate matter which a fine enough to get entrained into your lungs, which in long periods of exposure can cause cancer. At least with the A/C, the air goes through some filters... and like some people said, the fuel efficiency thing is BS, especially at higher speeds.
baller562 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:40 PM   #26
ProfessorMurder
I am your soldier!

Depends.

AC:
- If I'm on the highway
- Having an important conversation
- Over 90 and humid (maybe 7 days in the summer)

Windows:
- Any other time

Also, you guys are forgetting something about Arizona. There's no clouds. I said this in another thread but you don't know how hot that is when it's like 112/115 until you've been there.
ProfessorMurder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
LikeABosh
Banned

Windows open creates drag and uses more gas than the AC would. Not even an option in south Florida though with 95+ degree temp and humidity
LikeABosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #28
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Quote:
I've had a good taste of humidity living in L.A. for the first 20 years of my life. And, no clue on how it compares to the humidity in the south, but I'd prefer that over this.

Way I see it, humidity is like walking into a sauna. Dry heat is like walking into a clay oven.
Average humidity level in LA usually ranges from 50-75 percent. I used to know this stuff better, but I think humidity in general is worse in the morning and early afternoon, and lessens in the late afternoon and early evening. So it'll be in the 70's or so in the morning and early afternoon and drop into the 60's or 50's by evening.

I live in Arkansas and I believe it usually ranges from 80-90 and down to the 60's or so in the evening. And Arkansas humidity levels are generally lower than other southern states like Florida, Alabama, Mississippi, and Georgia.

I honestly have no idea the different "health" effects between the two; but in my opinion (and I've just always been under the impression this was the consensus) is that a 105 degree day in Alabama was more unbearable than a 105 degree day in Phoenix.

If you spend any amount of extended time outside here, once you start sweating, it doesn't stop, and it's miserable. I spent a few summers working at a summer camp, where we pretty much spent from 8 a.m. to 8 or 9 p.m. outside. It was especially miserable two summers ago when it was 105+ degrees for like 30 straight days. But even in more "mild" 90-95 degree weather, I'd start sweating even I was just sitting down somewhere, and it wouldn't stop; and I'm not fat or anything (6'4" 200 pounds).

It's been awhile since I spent a couple of weeks in Arizona, but I don't remember sweating nearly as much or as easily there as I do here. And like Rake pointed out, once you start it just doesn't really stop because the air is so moist, and the sweat doesn't have anywhere to go.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #29
embersyc
Lurker

I hate driving with the windows open. Not to mention my car has climate control and will just decide to turn the AC on whenever it feels like its needed.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:28 PM   #30
PHX_Phan
Local High School Star

Decent read on humid and dry heat:

http://www.azpaths.com/learn/weather...rticle.php?id=
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: