Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Jimmy Butler or Iman Shumpert

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch
    I don't know,Butler is better offensively but Shumpert is better defensively.

It could go either way,depends on what your team needs.

Based on WHAT? Shumpert's reputation from last season or his actual performance on the court post surgery?

Butler has actually guarded elite players and limtied them, his defense on Kobe, Melo and Lebron was on a level Shumpert could never reach due to his size disadvantage.

And in this series Butler has guarded Joe and Williams and forced them to brick majority of their jumpers. Jimmy is legit and displays his defense on the court, Shumpert was overrated before but has been even worse post surgery.

NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Butler's defense is based on Tom Thibadeau. Shumpert was a beast defensively under Mike 'Antoni. That's an achievement by itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Butler's defense is based on Tom Thibadeau. Shumpert was a beast defensively under Mike 'Antoni. That's an achievement by itself.
    Yea, perfect logic. Butler staying in front of superstars and pressuring them while not getting destroyed in the post is all thanks to Thibs, because his man-to-man defense is reliant on his coach.

Thibs does teach everyone defense and even Korver and Bellineli have improved, but Butler's ability to guard stars effectively is his own talent.

What has Shumpert done under Woodson besides regress? So guess it's Woodson's fault right?

Butler, hands down. Legit defender, nice size. High IQ player. Looks like he can develope a reliable corner 3. Could be the next Bruce Bowen but can actually put the ball on the floor and create. Seriously, what can Shump do better than Jimmy Buckets?

Its Shump, by a pretty clear margin, imo. He's just starting to play consistent elite level ball after the injury.

Next year, there won't even be a comparison.

And Shump does not have a bad haircut. Butler does.

It's very obvious to see who watches the Bulls games who doesn't.

Shump is finally finding his form coming back from an injury, so he can now defend at an elite level and make some shots. That being said, Butler is almost just as good defensively while being the much better creator at offense and a slightly better shooter too.

Next year will be more telling. Hopefully Shump will be healthy, and Butler will be playing alongside a healthy Rose which will make things easier for him.

Shump has the potential to be a star. Not sure if I'd say the same for Butler.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    Yea, perfect logic. Butler staying in front of superstars and pressuring them while not getting destroyed in the post is all thanks to Thibs, because his man-to-man defense is reliant on his coach.

Thibs does teach everyone defense and even Korver and Bellineli have improved, but Butler's ability to guard stars effectively is his own talent.

What has Shumpert done under Woodson besides regress? So guess it's Woodson's fault right?
    I agree with Butler being better but that is not the whole story of being a great defender, knowing you have Joakim Noah a much much much much better anchor this season than Chandler helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Deleterious
    I agree with Butler being better but that is not the whole story of being a great defender, knowing you have Joakim Noah a much much much much better anchor this season than Chandler helps a lot.
    You serious? Chandler was a former DPOY and helped Dallas win a championship. Him and Noah are a wash defensively, Noah just has more heart and intensity.

Still, Noah actually missed shitload of games this season and half the Bulls roster was missing, yet Butler still stepped up against superstars and defended them better than anyone I have seen this season. Him breaking out was thanks to Deng sucking so much this season and missing chunk of games.

Quote Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
    Its Shump, by a pretty clear margin, imo. He's just starting to play consistent elite level ball after the injury.

Next year, there won't even be a comparison.

And Shump does not have a bad haircut. Butler does.

This. Shumpert hasn't had an offseason to improve since coming into the league. The Lockout last year, and the ACL this year. Still he took that ACL injury and made himself into a knock down jump shooter. I think he's the most versatile and talented perimeter defender in the league, and since March he's been looking like it. I said it a long time ago, the Knicks run in March (and even the play before the 3rd Heat game, where they started playing well and then all of the injuries occurred) was in large pushed by Shumpert returning to form and ending the run of guards dominating the Knicks defense...and him becoming a factor offensively.

The addition of Pablo running the team and moving Felton off ball and emergence of Shumpert created mismatches all over the floor...not just Melo's matchup.

I think Shumpert will develop a strong offensive game as he worksout with Melo and JR in the summer. All the skills are there, he just needs to put them together. He has strong handles, can run the pick and roll, and shoot the ball, has athleticism....but he hasn't finished well around the rim this year, and he still needs to learn how to get a shot when well defended...i.e. footwork.

I don't think he'll be a superstar or anything, but he can be the type of "role player" like a Tayshaun Prince...except much more aggressive offensively and the personality to make him popular with the masses. He's a guy that currently thinks he's better than he is, and he's pretty good...he's a tireless worker and good guy so that makes me think one day he'll pull it all together and be as good as he thinks.
    Last edited by Y2Gezee; 05-04-2013 at 11:51 PM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Graviton
    You serious? Chandler was a former DPOY and helped Dallas win a championship. Him and Noah are a wash defensively, Noah just has more heart and intensity.

Still, Noah actually missed shitload of games this season and half the Bulls roster was missing, yet Butler still stepped up against superstars and defended them better than anyone I have seen this season. Him breaking out was thanks to Deng sucking so much this season and missing chunk of games.
    I am aware of the fact Chandler winning DPOY he was on my team but he just was not at the same level this year, not even close his shoulder injury has bothered him all season.

Noah has been much better defensively this season does not matter if it is because of heart and intensity if that is what raises his level of play than shame on other players for not being as intense as him, as for missed game they missed around the same amount of games and I can't say I watched a Bulls game without Noah only reason I watched the Bulls was because of Noah so I can not judge how good Butler played during those games.

But from what I have seen Butler has outshined Shumpert this season, Shumpert coming back from an ACL injury so we will see what he has in storage for next season.

Learning to shoot layups

Iman Shumpert... Doc rivers said he was the best player last night.. hes a championship type player on any team.. he will be a big factor in winning a chip for a team before his career is up.. his game is perfect for playoffs

He was a 1st team defense type of player his rookie year.. he struggled post acl but he looks to have now fully recovered and has improved his shot from last year.. while drose hasnt made it back yet
    Last edited by JoHnNyBoXeR; 05-05-2013 at 02:20 AM.

Anthony Mason, one of my favorite Knicks of all time said Shump would be the only guy from current generation Knicks that would be great for the 90's Knicks. He loves Shump, and so do I

at the person who said Butler's got a higher ceiling. Is this why he was drafted so low? Butler's nice though.

I am your soldier!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic
    Paul Pierce shot 36% with Shumpert on him. Ripped the ball from him a bunch of times too.
    Oh wow, he defended the garbage carcass of Pierce. Pierce is terrible. 3rd worst shooting season of his career at about 43%, dropped to 37% in the playoffs, big whoop.

Quote Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
    Oh wow, he defended the garbage carcass of Pierce. Pierce is terrible. 3rd worst shooting season of his career at about 43%, dropped to 37% in the playoffs, big whoop.
    so, what you're saying is that shump did not really play good defense. gotcha.