Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-20-2013, 05:05 PM   #1
Unstoppabull
High School Varsity 12th Man

Unstoppabull has decent reputationUnstoppabull has decent reputation
Default Job Hunting Tips?

What are some advice for job hunting? I've applied for 5 yesterday and still haven't gotten a single call back yet. How do you look for a job?

Usually do you do job searches online, or do you walk in and apply in person? Which method would be more effective?

Just curious. Thanks in advance.
Unstoppabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:07 PM   #2
Balla_Status

Balla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this boardBalla_Status is popular on this board
Default Re: Job Hunting Tips?

What kind of job are you looking for? What kind of job experience do you have? Is your resume good? Do you have a degree? What is it?
Balla_Status is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
LamarOdom
Banned

LamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLamarOdom is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unstoppabull
What are some advice for job hunting? I've applied for 5 yesterday and still haven't gotten a single call back yet. How do you look for a job?

Usually do you do job searches online, or do you walk in and apply in person? Which method would be more effective?

Do not look for a job on the internet, I did that never worked. When I was in high school I wanted a job and tried looking for them online never even got a callback.

Instead I printed out some CVs and went to some places here and there and I always managed to score a job that way.

Or you could ask family, friends, cousins etc. if they can recommend you somewhere. Of course it depends on what jobs you're applying for.

If it is for simple jobs like at a restaurant or cafe or retail you should go there and be confident.
LamarOdom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 10:53 AM   #4
Unstoppabull
High School Varsity 12th Man

Unstoppabull has decent reputationUnstoppabull has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LamarOdom
Do not look for a job on the internet, I did that never worked. When I was in high school I wanted a job and tried looking for them online never even got a callback.

Instead I printed out some CVs and went to some places here and there and I always managed to score a job that way.

Or you could ask family, friends, cousins etc. if they can recommend you somewhere. Of course it depends on what jobs you're applying for.

If it is for simple jobs like at a restaurant or cafe or retail you should go there and be confident.
That's exactly how I felt. I always felt like they just scan your resume for 5 seconds and hardly look at it online. I never got callbacks either. The callbacks I actually got were the ones when I walked in and applied in person. So on that part, I totally agree with you.

I'm trying to get an internship. Don't know where to start. Applied for 2 via email, sending in my resume. I got those offers from a professor's email. Still don't have a callback. But the problem is other than bagging groceries when I was in high school, I have literally no relevant work experience at all. CS major btw. So I have no idea what to do. Finding a job is hard for someone with no experience.

And what's a Curriculum vitae? Isn't it just a resume?
Unstoppabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:03 AM   #5
embersyc
Lurker

embersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation hereembersyc has a near all-star reputation here

You can get a job through the internet.

First off, used LinkedIn, if you have a skill at all and are on LinkedIn you will get lots of random recruiters messaging you.

The other thing is keywords. Know what the keywords are for your industry and make sure your resume/profile has them all.

It will be software that scans your online resume first, so write it so that it looks good to the software.
embersyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
shaq2000
mde

shaq2000 has decent reputationshaq2000 has decent reputation

Computer science? What city? There are lots of jobs waiting to be filled if you're any good or at least have a passion for it.
shaq2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:51 PM   #7
n00bie
Vince's Real Daddy

n00bie is considered somewhat cooln00bie is considered somewhat cool

Quote:

Applied to 5 jobs online? How long did that take? 20 minutes?

Apply to 50 more before you whine about not getting an interview.
n00bie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #8
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
That's exactly how I felt. I always felt like they just scan your resume for 5 seconds and hardly look at it online. I never got callbacks either. The callbacks I actually got were the ones when I walked in and applied in person. So on that part, I totally agree with you.

I'm trying to get an internship. Don't know where to start. Applied for 2 via email, sending in my resume. I got those offers from a professor's email. Still don't have a callback. But the problem is other than bagging groceries when I was in high school, I have literally no relevant work experience at all. CS major btw. So I have no idea what to do. Finding a job is hard for someone with no experience.

And what's a Curriculum vitae? Isn't it just a resume?
Craigslist is the best because usually the job posting is coming directly from the source and more importantly, they need someone right away.

Here's what you do: Tomorrow morning, go to Craigslist and search for jobs that have recently been posted. Copy and paste their email and reply with an attached resume, cover letter and a few words about yourself to make you stand out.

Trust me, you will get more callbacks if you do this because I have done it myself. A lot of times I have gotten a callback on the same day.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:18 PM   #9
MichaelCheazley
B-Eazy Mike Beasley

MichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMichaelCheazley is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarik One
Craigslist is the best because usually the job posting is coming directly from the source and more importantly, they need someone right away.

Here's what you do: Tomorrow morning, go to Craigslist and search for jobs that have recently been posted. Copy and paste their email and reply with an attached resume, cover letter and a few words about yourself to make you stand out.

Trust me, you will get more callbacks if you do this because I have done it myself. A lot of times I have gotten a callback on the same day.
Make sure the employers company name is stated and google it to confirm. Dont just email your resume and stuff. Alot of people trying to steal identity and info.
MichaelCheazley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:24 PM   #10
IamRAMBO24
NBA lottery pick

IamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardIamRAMBO24 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelCheazley
Make sure the employers company name is stated and google it to confirm. Dont just email your resume and stuff. Alot of people trying to steal identity and info.

Nice catch.

F*ck craigslist then. Too risky.
IamRAMBO24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:25 PM   #11
kNIOKAS
Medium Rare

kNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablekNIOKAS is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Straight away - apply for ten times more... Nobody cares to send you an answer, it's your job to get noticed and given an answer. They'd write to you when they need somebody, so just keep on doing. Your target could be 10 applications a day, or more, depending on whether you're looking for a specific job in specific industry, or just shitty place like fast food chain. More = better.
kNIOKAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #12
lefthook00
College star

lefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected posterlefthook00 is a pretty well-respected poster

You pretty much have to go apesh*t on the job search, literally apply for every relevant job posting that you see, even if it is remotely similar to what you want to do, even if you are under-qualified. Call everyone you know, you're more likely to get in somewhere from a connection than from the internet imo.

Pretty much, treat your job search as your full time job.
lefthook00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:05 PM   #13
Tarik One
NBA rookie of the year

Tarik One is considered somewhat coolTarik One is considered somewhat cool

And stay away from job fairs. Complete waste of time, unless it's the actual company hosting it.
Tarik One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:14 PM   #14
B-Low
The Love B-Low

B-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableB-Low is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:

You applied for 5 jobs on a Friday afternoon, and wonder why you haven't gotten called back by Saturday? Most HR depts don't work weekends so once 5pm Friday kicks in they're gone til Monday. Guarantee nobody's even seen your app yet

Just apply for a LOT more than 5 and give it time
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Low
You applied for 5 jobs on a Friday afternoon, and wonder why you haven't gotten called back by Saturday? Most HR depts don't work weekends so once 5pm Friday kicks in they're gone til Monday. Guarantee nobody's even seen your app yet

Just apply for a LOT more than 5 and give it time

This lol. Just be patient.. Might take up to 2-3 weeks for the company to call you back if they are interested.
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: