Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Toronto Raptors Forum

Toronto Raptors Forum Toronto Raptors message board - Toronto Raptors forum

Old 04-19-2013, 10:08 AM   #1
AC Earl
I airball my layups

Default Valanciunas For Harden

As for Valanciunas, the promising Raptors big man who's been averaging a 15-7 since mid-March, here's a true story: When Sam Presti was quietly shopping James Harden last October, he called Toronto to feel out a Jonas package. And got rebuffed. Quickly.

http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/...-column-part-1

Wow.

Last edited by AC Earl : 04-19-2013 at 10:12 AM.
AC Earl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #2
Qwyjibo
Yankee.Hotel.Foxtrot

Default Re: Valanciunas For Harden

In hindsight, you obviously do this trade. No questions asked. I'm sure there would've been more to it but Valanciunas would've been the main piece and I assume the Raptors would've still kept this past lottery pick.

But back then? I'll admit, I probably would've been hesitant to let Valanciunas go as I was a big fan of his talent but probably would've done it still. I always thought Harden was absolutely worthy of a max deal. A missed opportunity but whatever, we all know the Raptors have incompetent management. We don't know the full details here. I'll choose to bash the management for moves that were actually made (Fields, Ross, Derozan).

But damn, imagine a core of:

PG: Lowry
SG: Harden
SF: ?????
PF: Amir
C: Drummond
Qwyjibo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
Prodigy
Diaw Fan

How do you assume that we'd have kept the pick when trading for an all-star? Also, I think it's a little too early to say that we'd do the trade hands down when we haven't seen what Jonas is capable of yet.
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:50 AM   #4
brwnman

I wouldn't have done it back then as a GM for one reason. I would have wanted Valanciunas on his rookie deal for 3 years as opposed to paying Harden max (though I do think he is worth it); and my plan would be to tank for Wiggins. I'd be thinking down the road with Wiggins and Valanciunas. Now obviously if we were going after Drummond (like we should have even with JV); it makes sense.

Lowry
Harden
Gay (cause we would still have Ed Davis + Calderon to trade for him)
Amir
Drummond

not a bad team on paper. That team could actually be a top 4 seed in the east and at minimum, I think it goes second round. But question still remains, but then what? Also, I would assume they would have Derozan to dangle as well...
brwnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2013, 04:45 PM   #5
Himan12
On the clouds

Too early to roast the moron on this rebuff. Valanciunas has massive potential and if he reaches it, I wouldn't be too down on not getting harden. Great centers are harder to come by then great guards and are more valuable to boot.
Himan12 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: