Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 04-22-2013, 08:02 AM   #1306
lakers_forever
National High School Star

Default Re: Boston Marathon Bomb reaction discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmulls
I heard a quote once, sorry I can't remember who said it, but it goes something like this

"With or without religion, there would be good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

It's an interesting quote by Steven Weingerg. But I think the great physicist Freeman Dyson offers a great answer:

Weinberg's statement is true as far as it goes, but it is not the whole truth. To make it the whole truth, we must add an additional clause: "And for bad people to do good things—that [also] takes religion." The main point of Christianity is that it is a religion for sinners. Jesus made that very clear. When the Pharisees asked his disciples, "Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?" he said, "I come to call not the righteous but sinners to repentance." Only a small fraction of sinners repent and do good things but only a small fraction of good people are led by their religion to do bad things

I think he's right. How many killers have changed without religion? How many alcoholics and drug addicts have recovered because of religion?
lakers_forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:16 AM   #1307
bagelred
Stare

It's fun living in Nazi Germany. Everything but the swastikas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2LrbsUVSVl8
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #1308
Blue&Orange
NBA rookie of the year

since this became a political thread,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5srfkerLD3k#t=3m12s

lol that is all.
Blue&Orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #1309
Ronnie
Saw a basketball once

I think the attack was made against the cultural meeting of many people around Boston .
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 09:09 AM   #1310
nathanjizzle
Liberal Crusader

dude got mad, because he failed in our society, especially living in boston where everyone is successful. his jealousy drove him to hate us. the end.
nathanjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:04 AM   #1311
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanjizzle
dude got mad, because he failed in our society, especially living in boston where everyone is successful. his jealousy drove him to hate us. the end.
how did he fail? wasn't the older brother married with kids and a professional boxer?

the younger brother seems like a well adjusted college kid. if they failed, most americans are failures. that doesn't explain everything imo
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #1312
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
It's fun living in Nazi Germany. Everything but the swastikas:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=2LrbsUVSVl8
Exigent circumstances
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:27 AM   #1313
ErhnamDjinn
“Homo homini lupus est

America is far from perfect, but what I would give to live in your country or a similar 1st world country and these idiots just mess things up, baffles me why these guys did it unless they were a sleeper group that planned this many years back.
ErhnamDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:49 AM   #1314
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakers_forever
It's an interesting quote by Steven Weingerg. But I think the great physicist Freeman Dyson offers a great answer:

Weinberg's statement is true as far as it goes, but it is not the whole truth. To make it the whole truth, we must add an additional clause: "And for bad people to do good things—that [also] takes religion." The main point of Christianity is that it is a religion for sinners. Jesus made that very clear. When the Pharisees asked his disciples, "Why eateth your Master with publicans and sinners?" he said, "I come to call not the righteous but sinners to repentance." Only a small fraction of sinners repent and do good things but only a small fraction of good people are led by their religion to do bad things

I think he's right. How many killers have changed without religion? How many alcoholics and drug addicts have recovered because of religion?
Word

For some reason people like to just ignore all the good things religion does in these debates

My wife's sister is a Christian minister and right now as I type this she is in the Congo with her church group saving the lives of children. The Congo is an absolute WAR ZONE right now, and she is there with other Christians saving lives.

Not to mention the fact the some of the biggest charity organizations are religion based...people think Jesus doesn't do anything real? They are ignoring the billions of dollars Jesus has raised over the years that goes toward medicine and science.

And yes, like you mentioned, drug addicts and alcoholics and those that have " lost their way" usually get back on track using religion...

IMO it has done much more good in the world than bad, but just like your local news station, people only like to focus on the bad news.
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM   #1315
NBA4EVER

read the whole report here: http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/...ev_718200.html
NBA4EVER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 02:58 PM   #1316
PrettyCool
Banned

So has beck come out and said anything? Today was supposed to be the day but can't find anything.
PrettyCool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:05 PM   #1317
Patrick Chewing
King of the 5 Boroughs

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErhnamDjinn
America is far from perfect, but what I would give to live in your country or a similar 1st world country and these idiots just mess things up, baffles me why these guys did it unless they were a sleeper group that planned this many years back.

This is what I believe. You will not see attacks the size of 9/11 ever again, at least not in this country. What you will see (at least I hope not) are small sleeper cell attacks by people that were thought to be "good, nice, smart" just like Dzohkar was thought to be by many of his friends.
Patrick Chewing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 03:14 PM   #1318
KevinNYC
Perfectly Calm, Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Chewing
What you will see (at least I hope not) are small sleeper cell attacks by people that were thought to be "good, nice, smart" just like Dzohkar was thought to be by many of his friends.

I don't think there's any evidence they were a sleeper cell. The younger kid was 8 years old when he came here. That would mean his parents were part of the cell.

There's no evidence so far, that anyone other than the two brothers were involved.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 PM   #1319
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrettyCool
So has beck come out and said anything? Today was supposed to be the day but can't find anything.
Glenn Beck Reveals Controversial Intel on Saudi National Once Suspect in Boston Bombings

By Leonardo Blair , CP Contributor
April 22, 2013|2:41 pm

(Photo: Shoebat.com/Okaz)
Former Boston bombing suspect, Saudi national, Abdul Rahman Ali Issa Al-Salimi Al-Harbi in the hospital after the bombings.

After highlighting that some of his sources are now under threat of 20-year prison terms, conservative political commentator Glenn Beck revealed intelligence on Monday that questions the exoneration of a Saudi national once considered a suspect in the Boston bombings by federal agents.

"We don't know at this point how he was involved … but I do know he was involved," said Beck on The Blaze TV.

"You can ask yourself this question, 'How many times does lightning have to strike in the first place for this guy to be at the scene of the crime and in the hospital and not be involved?" he added.

Last week, Beck primed his audience for the explosive revelation of the story that could be the most important story "of our lifetime."

Claiming that he wanted the federal government to come clean with the American people, he gave them until this Monday to tell the truth about the Saudi national. In referring to the former suspect, he said: "We know [he] is a very bad, bad, bad man," while flipping three fingers indication three unspoken reasons why.

On Monday, when federal authorities failed to respond to his ultimatum, Beck revealed the questionable circumstances under which Saudi national Abdul Rahman Ali Issa Al-Salimi Al-Harbi, or Alharbi was downgraded from a dangerous suspected terrorist to essentially a "nobody" by federal authorities.

Follow us

(Photo: Reuters/Chris Keane)
Fox News host Glenn Beck speaks during the National Rifle Association's 139th annual meeting in Charlotte, North Carolina in this May 15, 2010 file photo.

In his report, Beck disclosed that Al-Harbi was first identified as a person of interest in the Boston bombings and noted that the U.S. Customs and Border Protection's National Targeting Center had issued an event file recommending his deportation under section 212, 3B indication "proven terrorist activity."

"We are not sure who actually tagged him as a '212 3B,' but we know it is very difficult to charge someone with this — it has to be almost certain," Beck explained. "It is the equivalent in civil society of charging someone with premeditated murder and seeking the death penalty — it is not thrown around lightly."

Beck further explained that Secretary of State John Kerry later met with Saudi Foreign Minister Saud last Tuesday then the FBI began "backtracking on the Saudi national from suspect, to person of interest, to witness, to victim, to nobody," according to The Blaze report.

RELATED
Tamerlan Tsarnaev Triple Homicide? Boston Bomber Suspected in Friend's Murder

Friends of Tamerlan Tsarnaev now believe that the Boston bombing suspect could ...

Boston Bombing Victim Was Involved With Christian Student Ministry

InterVarsity Christian Fellowship, an inter-denominational student ministry ...

Boston Bombing Suspects Are Terrorism Nightmare

"He was so grateful to be here, he was compassionate, he was caring, he was ...

Then last Wednesday, President Barack Obama reportedly had a "chance" encounter with Saudi Foreign Minister Saud and Saudi Ambassador Adel al-Jubeir. Later that day, Al-Harbi's event file was altered.
"Wednesday at 5:35 p.m. the file is altered," explained Beck in his report. "This is unheard of, this is impossible in the timeline due to the severity of the charge …. You don't one day put a 212 3B charge against somebody with deportation, and then the next day take it off. It would require too much to do it."

Among other evidence, Beck pointed out that the Saudi national was once flagged on a terror watch list but was granted a student visa to enter the U.S. anyway.

In another report from Okaz.com and translated for The Blaze by Steven Miller, a research associate with the Foundation for the Defense of Democracies, Al-Harbi allegedly says federal authorities only asked him about what he saw during the bombings, apologized and promised him "special health care."

"He clarified that security officials asked him to focus on what he saw before the bombings, and on the nature of the event [to see] if he remembers what happened around him … he thanked American authorities who refuted media allegations about his status as a suspect …," according to the report.

Beck promised on his show that there is more intelligence to be revealed possibly well into next week.

Read more at http://www.christianpost.com/news/gl...zHtvRt4tuKF.99
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 04:17 PM   #1320
rezznor
Nosetradamus

Forbes says he got his Saudis mixxed up. can't really blame him, i'm sure they all look the same to him.

Quote:
Glenn Beck Just Doesn't Get America's Strong Character
122 comments, 39 called-out Comment Now
Follow Comments

(Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Glenn Beck has announced that he has uncovered a government conspiracy related to the Boston Marathon bombing which involves the Saudi national originally termed a ‘person of interest’ shortly after the attack took place. As most are aware, this man was quickly cleared of any involvement in last Monday’s terrorist activity.

Beck is so certain of his information that he has given the White House until Monday, April 22, 2013, to tell the truth about what The Blaze—Beck’s media organization—has uncovered or Beck will spill the beans himself.

Here’s part of what Mr. Beck had to say on his Friday broadcast—

Senator Lindsey Graham Says Suspend the Constitution For Boston Marathon Suspect And Designate Him An Enemy Combatant
Rick Ungar
Contributor

You Won't Believe What Glenn Beck Is Saying About The Michele Bachmann Investigation
Rick Ungar
Contributor
“This is very, very important. What we do going forward from here will determine the fate of our nation. Make no mistake. This story is number two [September 11 was #1] because of what I know. What we do will make this the most important story of our lifetime. What’s happening now is very important. What happens in its aftermath will make it the most important, because it will either save our country, or we will be done.”

According to the Department of Homeland Security, Mr. Beck is getting a bit confused. Apparently, there is a Saudi national who was taken into custody by ICE last week and is being held for deportation due to his being in the country on an expired visa. However, the DHS has said that the individual being held for deportation has nothing whatsoever to do with the Saudi “person of interest” we all heard about in the hours following the attack.

Mr. Beck believes otherwise. From what I understand, he appears to believe that the Saudi national in custody is the same man who was identified as a person of interest in the bombing and that the government is getting him out of the country, rather than face charges, for some reason.

While I tend to be more than a bit skeptical about what Beck believes he has uncovered, we will all learn soon enough if this is yet another Glenn Beck conspiracy drama or whether he actually has information of interest.
rezznor is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: