Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-10-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default I Attended the Hornets @ Lakers Game (04/09/13)

Pic Posted on Page 2 of this thread, or just click me!

This was my third live NBA event ever, and it was the third Lakers game I went to since March 3rd of this year.

The Seats:
My wife got them from her mom, who gifted the tickets to us just because. We sat in section 109, which wasn't bad at all, though I didn't like the seats we sat on. They didn't have cup holders, and they seemed to be too close to one another to the point where if everyone in the row leaned back, we'd be touching arms, shoulders and elbows.

The Fans:
As I expected, the crowd was pretty quiet until about the 4th quarter. Sometimes I'd be the only one who was chanting "DEFENSE!" loudly. It didn't seem like most people were into it. The woman sitting next to my wife & I didn't even know anybody's name on either team, except Kobe, Pau & Dwight. There was a guy sitting directly behind me who kept calling Earl Clark 'Devin Ebanks', and there were two women sitting a few rows in front of me who were on their phones practically the entire game. I don't recall them putting their phones down until about the last few minutes of the 4th quarter.

The Glove:
Gary Payton walked past my row and I immediately yelled, "Oh, shit! Is that Gary Payton?" People looked but nobody seemed to care. My wife, unfortunately, didn't know who he was. I don't blame her because she just started watching basketball in 2010 (sound familiar, Miami fans?) when we moved in together.
I asked an usher standing close by, "Isn't that Gary Payton?"
She replied, "No... Um.. Actually, I don't know. I don't know who Gary Payton is."

A few minutes later, GP was congratulated on the jumbo-tron for being elected into the Hall of Fame, and they showed him on the screen. I yelled, "What did I say?" And I heard a few people, "Oh, he was right!"
Gary started leaving a couple minutes into the 4th quarter (I believe), and people got up, trying to shake his hand.
As he was walking past me, I asked, "Gary, will you take a picture with me, please?"
He did! Made me entire night! A guy congratulated me, saying, "Damn, man! You got lucky. Congrats. I wanted a pic, too!"

The Pic:
Sorry, guys. I don't feel comfortable posting my pictures here any more. Last year, a poster named Millwad took my pics, made a thread and posted them in there, acting like he was me. I don't know why he did that. We never had a problem before then. When I PM'd him about it, he deleted the pics from the thread, and then sent me a PM saying someone logged into his account and posted me pics. Yeah, sure.
I want to post the pic I took with GP, but I don't know if I should . . .

The Game: A Look at the Lakers
Kobe had 4 points in the 1st half. He ended the night with 30. Enough said. That was the greatest performance I've ever seen live, and I'm glad I got to see Kobe do what he used to do back in his actual prime one last time before his potential retirement. People were chanting his name during the timeout in the 4th quarter after he caught fire. It was truly awesome!
D12 seemed so out of the game at times. He missed a lay-up and instead of going up for the rebound, which Jamison got, Dwight seemed to pout and just stand off to the baseline, watching the action instead of taking part in it.
Earl Clark got in early foul trouble, but I didn't expect him to end the night without a single point. I love EC, but c'mon. I know he got into a car accident earlier in the day, but no excuses, Earl.
Antawn Jamison came off the bench with great intensity. It still shocks me that early on in the season, there was a stretch of maybe 5-6 games where Mike D'Antoni didn't play Jamison. lol wtf?
Pau had an amazing game. I don't want to look up the exact numbers but I know he ended up with 20+ pts & 11 reb. It's games like this where I think Pau is still worth his keep, though I do wish he wasn't getting paid $19 million next season.
Jodie Meeks played atrocious defense on Eric Gordon. I think Gordon dropped 17 points on him in the 1st half. I might be incorrect about the exact number, but I do know EG was demolishing Meeks all night.
Metta. World. Peace. What do you expect? 12 days after surgery, he plays 15 minutes. Derrick Rose, months after surgery, and a couple months after being cleared to play, still sits on the sidelines. You can hate Metta's game, but you've gotta love his efforts.
The team overall was great. I hated how they allowed a 17-2 run in the 1st half, but I'll take a W any time in any fashion. It also looks like the team has figured out how to effectively use D12 & Pau on the court together. It's a beautiful thing to see.

The Game: A Look at the Hornets
Ryan Anderson scared me at first, but he was pretty ineffective for most of the game. He missed several wide open 3's. He did hit one in the last 30 seconds or so to make it a 2 possession game, and that shot was too sick for comfort. He had 2 Lakers contesting the shot, too.
Eric Gordon seems too one-dimensional. All he did was score, score, score. He only had a couple rebounds and a couple assists, I believe. I thought that was pretty sad. He did destroy Jodie Meeks practically all night, and it wasn't until Kobe started guarding him that he slowed down in scoring. Gordon did get blocked by Steve Blake, which was a crowd pleasing moment.
Robin Lopez was getting mocked by people in the crowd. It was pathetic because nobody said anything funny. I even heard one guy yell, "It's Carlito from the WWE!"

Greivis Vasquez scared me with his runners and floaters. It didn't seem like the Lakers had an answer for those shots for a while. Steve Blake seemingly couldn't keep the guy in front of him.
Anthony Davis is uglier in person than on TV, but I swear he had a good game. Dwight either didn't bother or just couldn't guard him. I know he ended up with a double-double, but I don't remember the exact numbers. Maybe 18 pts and 13-14 reb? He did have quite a number of steals, too.
The Hornets overall played a good game, but it just wasn't enough. I think they should just be happy that they gave the Lakers so much trouble for the first 40-45 minutes of the game.

The Overall Experience:
The crowd seemed out of the game until the start of the 4th quarter. There were actually people who started leaving the game when it was still a one possession game in the 4th quarter with 4-5 minutes to go. I didn't understand why, but who am I to judge?
I think I had to be the loudest person in there. I almost lost my voice from cheering so much.
The Lakers not having a double-digit lead throughout the game somewhat irritated me because I felt like they were able to go on a run at any time, but just didn't do it. They should've had this game in the bag from the get-go if Dwight actually boxed out more and at least tried to get more than just 6 rebounds, but I'll take a W in any fashion. It could be a blow out win or a struggle to get there, but as long as it's a win, I love it.

Last edited by Scholar : 04-10-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
toooo
Local High School Star

toooo has decent reputation
Default Re: I Attended the Hornets @ Lakers Game (04/09/13)

Tl;dr

Cliffs on cliffs?
toooo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #3
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #4
thabisyo
Local High School Star

thabisyo is starting to rub some people the wrong waythabisyo is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz

thabisyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
TheCalmInsanity
High School Starter

TheCalmInsanity is considered somewhat coolTheCalmInsanity is considered somewhat coolTheCalmInsanity is considered somewhat cool

Good experience, glad you enjoyed it. I'm sorry you had to deal with the fair weather fans in the place but the Lakers have had those for a while. Nice to know you're not one of them.
TheCalmInsanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:04 PM   #6
Djarum
I airball my layups

Djarum has not been impressing people

Great write-up. You are pathetic for getting excited when Gary walked by, for asking the usher if that was Gary, and ESPECIALLY for wasting Gary's time and getting a picture with him. Shame on you.
Djarum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #7
klee
I hit open 5-footers

klee has decent reputation

Nice post--good to hear about a fan's genuine excitement for the game. Always been a Payton supporter; I would have been stoked if I were sitting in your area and saw another fan excited about his presence.

If you get a chance to, try going to a playoff game. The experience is so different from that of a regular season game (at least it is in Chicago/was in Seattle).
klee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:42 PM   #8
Element
It's ugly ass B.Walton

Element has decent reputation

Damn me and my gf had the same seats in the game vs WAS we lost a couple of weeks ago. The fans there weren't really the type to look on theie phones 24/7 but they never really cheered either. They were staring at me whenever me and my gf were cheering or clapping as if to say "Seriously? Grow up kids.". Up until crunchtime, 99% of those fgts were pretty much under shock with stoic expressions on their faces and moved like they had a giant stick up their ass. Our friends' seats were in row 208 and the fans there were much more engaged. Sometimes they can really make or breake the experience.

nice write up though. Hope u enjoyed it
Element is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 12:47 PM   #9
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Element
Damn me and my gf had the same seats in the game vs WAS we lost a couple of weeks ago. The fans there weren't really the type to look on theie phones 24/7 but they never really cheered either. They were staring at me whenever me and my gf were cheering or clapping as if to say "Seriously? Grow up kids.". Up until crunchtime, 99% of those fgts were pretty much under shock with stoic expressions on their faces and moved like they had a giant stick up their ass. Our friends' seats were in row 208 and the fans there were much more engaged. Sometimes they can really make or breake the experience.

nice write up though. Hope u enjoyed it

I went to that Wizards game, too. I sat in section 318. The crowd there wasn't great, but they were better than last night's crowd.
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Sounds amazing,glad you enjoyed it.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:05 PM   #11
tomtucker
Prince of Wallachia

tomtucker is popular on this boardtomtucker is popular on this boardtomtucker is popular on this boardtomtucker is popular on this board

nice...... ......post the pic, just blur out your face.......or photoshop something over it...........like chris bosh wife ass
tomtucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 PM   #12
Sparts Arwell
Banned

Sparts Arwell has an OK reputation so far

Sounds like a fun experience. Sometimes you just need to unwind and have fun. Especially if you crunch numbers all day etc.

Where in Los Angeles do you live? Theres some pretty nice views out there thats for sure, does your place overlook anything noteworthy?
Sparts Arwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:30 PM   #13
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Post the pic with GP bro!
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:54 PM   #14
fiddy
HC4L

fiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfiddy is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar

The Overall Experience:
The crowd seemed out of the game until the start of the 4th quarter. There were actually people who started leaving the game when it was still a one possession game in the 4th quarter with 4-5 minutes to go. I didn't understand why, but who am I to judge?
The old timers (they havent been around the forum for a while (gts and socalmike) said that people leave early staples to avoid the traffic at the parking lot so they can get away smoother avoding the traffic. Got tacos?

I wish i visit an NBA game in the next decade.

BTW you can mask your face and post the G Payton pic.
fiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 PM   #15
flipogb
Banned

flipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected posterflipogb is a pretty well-respected poster

if the people that usually sit in the 300s were around you, they would have recognized Payton
flipogb is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: