Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 04-08-2013, 12:56 AM   #1
TAZORAC
High School JV MVP

TAZORAC has not been impressing people
Default Is John Wall now a top 5 PG?

Rose hasn't played in a year, so he doesn't count, I think Rondo is overrated and is a "system" PG. I don't see why John Wall now isn't a top 5 PG. I say he's equal to Derron Williams
TAZORAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #2
keepinitreal
Great young streetballer

keepinitreal has decent reputationkeepinitreal has decent reputation
Default Re: Is John Wall now a top 5 PG?

Parker
Irving
Williams
CP3
Curry
Westbrook

No
keepinitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
TonyD
High School Varsity 12th Man

TonyD has an OK reputation so far

No, and DWill isn't even in my top 5.
TonyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 AM   #4
Random_Guy
I rep the Celtics

Random_Guy is popular on this boardRandom_Guy is popular on this boardRandom_Guy is popular on this boardRandom_Guy is popular on this boardRandom_Guy is popular on this board

IMO John wall has the talent to be top five, and has shown some glimpses of being in the elite tier in spurts this season. However he is way too inconsistent, when his jumpshot is falling he is unstoppable(however this can be said for a lot of players).

PGs I would definitely put above him:Westbrook, Parker, CP3
Curry, Irving and Deron(I consider him elite but his performance this season has been inconsistent albeit playing very well recently) is right up there, but are point guards I consider just a tier under the superstars.

I'm sure there are other PGs like rondo and holiday that can be made an argument for, however I think Wall will eventually get there.
Random_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:11 AM   #5
Rekindled
Pringles Reborn

Rekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryRekindled posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by keepinitreal
Parker
Irving
Williams
CP3
Curry
Westbrook

No

lmao anyone think irving is better than Wall doesnt watch nba. John Wall is leading his team to a winning record unlike Kyrie.

and John Wall is the best pg defender in the league right now , Irving is statistically the worst.
Rekindled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

This year, no.

Next year, yes.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:21 AM   #7
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

If he's not there he's close, which nobody on this board would have said a month ago. I love how he's played this year and if his jumper continues to improve he will be elite.
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:22 AM   #8
TheNaturalWR
Local High School Star

TheNaturalWR has an OK reputation so far

He's going to be the best PG in the game VERY soon, just needs to stay healthy. Only point guard in the league capable of 20-10 atm. Dude is already borderline top 5 in my opinion.
TheNaturalWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #9
ZaaaaaH
Banned

ZaaaaaH has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
If he's not there he's close, which nobody on this board would have said a month ago. I love how he's played this year and if his jumper continues to improve he will be elite.

ZaaaaaH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:23 AM   #10
keepinitreal
Great young streetballer

keepinitreal has decent reputationkeepinitreal has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekindled
lmao anyone think irving is better than Wall doesnt watch nba. John Wall is leading his team to a winning record unlike Kyrie.

and John Wall is the best pg defender in the league right now , Irving is statistically the worst.

I'll admit I have only watched 2 games with John Wall all year, but is he really leading his team to a winning record? Last time I checked they were eliminated from playoff contention.

And I was just throwing some names out there since John Wall isn't currently a top 5 PG, especially if you include Rose/Rondo. His time will come soon for sure though. He's good.
keepinitreal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:27 AM   #11
noob cake
Good college starter

noob cake has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rekindled

You want to compare an almost 23 year old to a just turned 21? Let's not even talk about the extra year of experience in the NBA.

Irving is NOT statistically the worst. Irving being a bad defender is the WORST MYTH in the NBA. Just shut up. It is a myth perpetuated by his rookie season. Yes, at one time in his rookie season, Irving was ranked in the 400's in overall defense. Now he is within the top quarter. Wall is not EVEN IN THE TOP HALF.

Data from Synergysports.com. Irving is by far the better defender. Just because Wall makes flashy plays doesn't make him a great PG defender. If you want to find a real defensive stud PG, look at Rondo.

Task/Irving/Wall
Overall/132/240
Iso/71/207
PnR Ball Handler/160/191
Post-Up/154/-
PnR Man/-/-
Spot-Up/118/118
Off Screen/34/65
Hand Off/-/51

- = insufficient sample size.

Last edited by noob cake : 04-08-2013 at 02:30 AM.
noob cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:29 AM   #12
Graviton
The Last Alpha Lion

Graviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation here

Since All-Star Break and in past month or two...

1) Westbrook
2) Wall
3) Paul
4) Deron
5) Parker

Honorable mentions: Lawson, Curry, Conley, Jeff Teague

Defensively Wall is one of the best and as far as breaking down the defense and finding teammates goes he is as good if not better than Westbrook. What doesn't show up on the statsheet is his dynamic presence, every time he is on the court the opposing team has trouble containing his drives, which leads to open shots for everyone. He has an impact on the court matched only by Westbrook/Rose.

Curry/Irving can get hot and win you a game on offense, but they are not anything special defensively or at controlling the flow of the game. Wall controls the pace and dominates if not gameplanned correctly.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:34 AM   #13
noob cake
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
Since All-Star Break and in past month or two...

1) Westbrook
2) Wall
3) Paul
4) Deron
5) Parker

Honorable mentions: Lawson, Curry, Conley, Jeff Teague

Defensively Wall is one of the best and as far as breaking down the defense and finding teammates goes he is as good if not better than Westbrook. What doesn't show up on the statsheet is his dynamic presence, every time he is on the court the opposing team has trouble containing his drives, which leads to open shots for everyone. He has an impact on the court matched only by Westbrook/Rose.

Curry/Irving can get hot and win you a game on offense, but they are not anything special defensively or at controlling the flow of the game. Wall controls the pace and dominates if not gameplanned correctly.

GTFO with Wall defense. Block =! Defense.

Defense is about rotation. Not making memorable defensive plays.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:37 AM   #14
Graviton
The Last Alpha Lion

Graviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation hereGraviton has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob cake
GTFO with Wall defense. Block =! Defense.

Defense is about rotation. Not making memorable defensive plays.
Check Wizard's defense after Wall came back, they became a top defensive team and actually started beating elite teams with their defense.

It's not about his blocks or highlights, it's about his impact on the court. The way the team itself plays defense with him engaged. If you actually watched the games you would know. Lately he has been concentrating more on offense and scoring, but overall he is a great defender.

I wouldn't say Kyrie is "terrible" defender either, he just gets lost or overpowered at times, which is more an experience, strength and age issue and the crappy overall Cavs defense doesn't help either
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 03:26 AM   #15
noob cake
Good college starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
Check Wizard's defense after Wall came back, they became a top defensive team and actually started beating elite teams with their defense.

It's not about his blocks or highlights, it's about his impact on the court. The way the team itself plays defense with him engaged. If you actually watched the games you would know. Lately he has been concentrating more on offense and scoring, but overall he is a great defender.

I wouldn't say Kyrie is "terrible" defender either, he just gets lost or overpowered at times, which is more an experience, strength and age issue and the crappy overall Cavs defense doesn't help either

Synergy has video replays of every point that Wall has denied and given up.

Wall's presence may raise his team's overall moral/play, but in no way is Wall a good defensive player individually. We'll get those chase down blocks and athletic contests, but numbers do not lie. He gives up more points on average than Irving. You don't need to be an athletic freak to play defense. See old/slow ass Battier and Artest.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: