Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2013, 01:31 AM   #181
DMAVS41
NBA Legend
 
DMAVS41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,656
DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
When the refs set the tone for one team that "No, we're calling it tight tonight" but for OKC it's "No, we're going loose. We're gonna let you guys get in there and D up". That affects how you play. You can't set 2 different tones and then also go out of your way to make sure the other team is in the penalty a couple minutes into each quarter.

You have to give some credit to the player though. If it was so easy to get to the line like that, everyone would do it.

People did the same thing with MJ...they bitched an bitched and bitched about his free throws.

If it's so easy...get to the line more. My point is that it's not easy and that guys like Durant and Harden deserve credit.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:34 AM   #182
maybeshewill13
**** u Thabo u ****
 
maybeshewill13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: ═sjaki
Posts: 7,007
maybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected postermaybeshewill13 is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
When the refs set the tone for one team that "No, we're calling it tight tonight" but for OKC it's "No, we're going loose. We're gonna let you guys get in there and D up". That affects how you play. You can't set 2 different tones and then also go out of your way to make sure the other team is in the penalty a couple minutes into each quarter.
Mad as fuq as always. ****ing love it Get a life you salty princess
maybeshewill13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:42 AM   #183
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 22,801
NumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
You have to give some credit to the player though. If it was so easy to get to the line like that, everyone would do it.

People did the same thing with MJ...they bitched an bitched and bitched about his free throws.

If it's so easy...get to the line more. My point is that it's not easy and that guys like Durant and Harden deserve credit.
How exactly do you go about getting the refs to blow the whistle when nobody fouled you? Stop playing dumb. Let's not act like this is some kind of special skill that Durant possess that others simply lack. There's obviously an agenda to push this guy.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:44 AM   #184
DMAVS41
NBA Legend
 
DMAVS41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,656
DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
How exactly do you go about getting the refs to blow the whistle when nobody fouled you? Stop playing dumb. Let's not act like this is some kind of special skill that Durant possess that others simply lack. There's obviously an agenda to push this guy.

Then you are saying that all the refs get together and agree to give phantom calls to Durant and Harden.

So what is more likely? That Harden and Durant do something to get more calls?...or that there is a conspiracy?

Really take a minute and think about it.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:47 AM   #185
Greg Oden 50
Banned
 
Greg Oden 50's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 1,233
Greg Oden 50 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryGreg Oden 50 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryGreg Oden 50 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

stats paddar,protected by the refs = KD
Greg Oden 50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:49 AM   #186
Graviton
The Last Alpha Lion
 
Graviton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Pauk's essay
Posts: 4,326
Graviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterGraviton is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
Then you are saying that all the refs get together and agree to give phantom calls to Durant and Harden.

So what is more likely? That Harden and Durant do something to get more calls?...or that there is a conspiracy?

Really take a minute and think about it.
You are asking one of the most dense trolls on this board to do something his brain can not possibly accomplish.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 01:58 AM   #187
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 22,801
NumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
Then you are saying that all the refs get together and agree to give phantom calls to Durant and Harden.

So what is more likely? That Harden and Durant do something to get more calls?...or that there is a conspiracy?

Really take a minute and think about it.
Not a conspiracy, just a benefit of the doubt.

Like if Durant stumbles over his own foot, the ref blows his whistle. It's like he's thinking "Well, Durant just stumbled. Clearly that guy near him MUST have fouled him. I didn't see a foul but what other explanation could there possibly be?".

If Durant loses control of the ball "Oh, KD just lost the handle. That guy must have hit him".


Even OKC fans will admit that shit shit is commonplace for Durant this season. He's not doing it on purpose to strategically get calls. He's just messing up and getting the benefit of the doubt. It's not being unbiased to just pretend this isn't the case.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:01 AM   #188
DMAVS41
NBA Legend
 
DMAVS41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,656
DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Not a conspiracy, just a benefit of the doubt.

Like if Durant stumbles over his own foot, the ref blows his whistle. It's like he's thinking "Well, Durant just stumbled. Clearly that guy near him MUST have fouled him. I didn't see a foul but what other explanation could there possibly be?".

If Durant loses control of the ball "Oh, KD just lost the handle. That guy must have hit him".


Even OKC fans will admit that shit shit is commonplace for Durant this season. He's not doing it on purpose to strategically get calls. He's just messing up and getting the benefit of the doubt. It's not being unbiased to just pretend this isn't the case.


Again though. Why? It's either Durant doing something to get more of these calls...or you are claiming that refs give Durant the benefit of the doubt for reasons not related to basketball.

Sorry...can't have it both ways.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:11 AM   #189
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 22,801
NumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
Again though. Why? It's either Durant doing something to get more of these calls...or you are claiming that refs give Durant the benefit of the doubt for reasons not related to basketball.

Sorry...can't have it both ways.
How am I having it both ways? Those two scenario are mutually EXLUSIVE.

I've been saying this entire time that it's NOT Durant doing something to get calls and it IS the refs giving him the benefit of the doubt. I've been perfectly consistent here.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:18 AM   #190
iamgine
...
 
iamgine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 11,136
iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Like if Durant stumbles over his own foot, the ref blows his whistle. It's like he's thinking "Well, Durant just stumbled. Clearly that guy near him MUST have fouled him. I didn't see a foul but what other explanation could there possibly be?".

If Durant loses control of the ball "Oh, KD just lost the handle. That guy must have hit him".
Are there enough examples of this to say it?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:32 AM   #191
DMAVS41
NBA Legend
 
DMAVS41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,656
DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
How am I having it both ways? Those two scenario are mutually EXLUSIVE.

I've been saying this entire time that it's NOT Durant doing something to get calls and it IS the refs giving him the benefit of the doubt. I've been perfectly consistent here.

I'm saying it is either a conspiracy or he's doing something. When you have a sample this big with different refs..different games...different circumstances...all of it. And he's getting to the line like he is....it's not a fluke stat anomaly or something.

So all the refs either choose to give Durant phantom calls...or Durant/Harden do things to get the refs to make the calls you are talking about.

That is what I mean by not having it both ways. You can't say it's not a conspiracy type situation...and then say that Durant gets extra free throws each game on phantom calls that you know other players don't get. And then say Durant does nothing to get these calls...he just gets them. That implies a ref conspiracy to give Durant more free throws than other players.

And I asked you to think about it...and I guess you didn't.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:51 AM   #192
fos
It's not rebound-ball.
 
fos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Hell's Half Acre
Posts: 1,737
fos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected posterfos is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

One thing that is being overlooked is that all things being even, Durant will still get more foul calls than any of the other superstars because he's a 90% shooter so he'll be the guy shooting ALL technical freethrows (not huge but noteworthy). He also is just better at drawing fouls than the other guys mentioned because of his freakish wingspan, it's simply not enough to put a hand up on his jumpshot like you would do with Lebron, Melo, or Kobe and since he's such a deadeye shooter and so quick for his size he gets fouled at a much higher rate when he puts the ball on the floor. The fact of the matter is you can have a game where you get some phantom/bad calls but over the course of an entire season you can't explain his high number of attempts on refereeing. It's like flipping a coin heads or tails, sure you can have ten heads in a row or some "fluke" in the short run, but the higher number of tosses the closer to 50% you'll get in the long run. Durant is clearly the second best player in the league behind Lebron and there is a smaller gap from Lebron to Durant than from Durant to whomever you rank third.
fos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:01 AM   #193
DMAVS41
NBA Legend
 
DMAVS41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,656
DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fos
One thing that is being overlooked is that all things being even, Durant will still get more foul calls than any of the other superstars because he's a 90% shooter so he'll be the guy shooting ALL technical freethrows (not huge but noteworthy). He also is just better at drawing fouls than the other guys mentioned because of his freakish wingspan, it's simply not enough to put a hand up on his jumpshot like you would do with Lebron, Melo, or Kobe and since he's such a deadeye shooter and so quick for his size he gets fouled at a much higher rate when he puts the ball on the floor. The fact of the matter is you can have a game where you get some phantom/bad calls but over the course of an entire season you can't explain his high number of attempts on refereeing. It's like flipping a coin heads or tails, sure you can have ten heads in a row or some "fluke" in the short run, but the higher number of tosses the closer to 50% you'll get in the long run. Durant is clearly the second best player in the league behind Lebron and there is a smaller gap from Lebron to Durant than from Durant to whomever you rank third.

I brought up the techs and the fact that the Thunder are in the bonus more than any other team other than the Lakers...and that is probably solely due to the hack a howard. These points were mostly ignored.

What you say is exactly true. Over the course of the season...statistical anomalies even out. So it's either 1 of 2 things;

1. Durant does something to get to the line more often than some of the other players

2. There is a league wide ref conspiracy to send Durant to the line more often

Those are your only 2 options.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:02 AM   #194
NumberSix
Big Booty Hoes!!
 
NumberSix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: The Internets
Posts: 22,801
NumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected posterNumberSix is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
I'm saying it is either a conspiracy or he's doing something. When you have a sample this big with different refs..different games...different circumstances...all of it. And he's getting to the line like he is....it's not a fluke stat anomaly or something.

So all the refs either choose to give Durant phantom calls...or Durant/Harden do things to get the refs to make the calls you are talking about.

That is what I mean by not having it both ways. You can't say it's not a conspiracy type situation...and then say that Durant gets extra free throws each game on phantom calls that you know other players don't get. And then say Durant does nothing to get these calls...he just gets them. That implies a ref conspiracy to give Durant more free throws than other players.

And I asked you to think about it...and I guess you didn't.
Who am I to say there's a ref conspiracy? I have no knowledge of their staff meetings or discussions. I have no evidence to claim that I know what they do or don't do behind closed doors. All I can go by is what I see for myself. I can tell you what I see take place, but I can't speak to the motivations or reasons for it. I can tell you that I see Durant getting officiated unusually softly, but I can't speculate why.
NumberSix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #195
DMAVS41
NBA Legend
 
DMAVS41's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 19,656
DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Do people really believe KD is only a good scorer because of his free throws?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NumberSix
Who am I to say there's a ref conspiracy? I have no knowledge of their staff meetings or discussions. I have no evidence to claim that I know what they do or don't do behind closed doors. All I can go by is what I see for myself. I can tell you what I see take place, but I can't speak to the motivations or reasons for it. I can tell you that I see Durant getting officiated unusually softly, but I can't speculate why.

And you think Durant has nothing to do with it though...so that means the refs ref Durant differently than other players for no reason.

How do you not see what I'm saying? Think about it. You have different refs, reffing different games, with different defenses and players, different scenarios...etc.

And Durant continues to shoot his free throw rate. So either the refs have chosen to give him softer calls...or he does something to warrant more trips to the line.

You watching the games is worth something, but it's also extremely limited because you don't watch every second of every game of Durant, Harden, Kobe, Melo, Lebron..etc.

So it's a limited analysis and prone to confirmation bias.
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:10 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy