Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2013, 01:58 AM   #1
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,442
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

At least that's what was said on the post game radio broadcast (fvck you CSN!)

Anybody know if this is true? Where would you even find a stat like that? They are incredibly young so I wouldn't doubt it. Plenty of growth potential with this team if they can continue to make the right moves.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:25 AM   #2
imnew09
2*/5
 
imnew09's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Lakers' Cruise
Posts: 3,848
imnew09 has not been impressing people
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

OKC says hi.
imnew09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:27 AM   #3
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,442
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnew09
OKC says hi.

What was their average age?
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:34 AM   #4
1987_Lakers
NBA All-star
 
1987_Lakers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 9,469
1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here1987_Lakers has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
What was their average age?

23. OKC was younger in 2010.
1987_Lakers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:37 AM   #5
b0bab0i
National High School Star
 
b0bab0i's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 2,256
b0bab0i is a pretty well-respected posterb0bab0i is a pretty well-respected posterb0bab0i is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by imnew09
OKC says hi.
You guys had Kevin Ollie & Etan Thomas on your team.
b0bab0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 02:49 AM   #6
bdreason
Game. Set. Match.
 
bdreason's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: HB, CA
Posts: 20,943
bdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbdreason is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

I'd like to see the Rockets be aggressive this offseason and sign a solid PF/C like Smith, Jefferson, Milsap, Pekovic... someone like that.


Grats to Rockets fans. I've been rooting against the Rockets for awhile now, for obvious reasons, but I like their squad.
bdreason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:00 AM   #7
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,442
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1987_Lakers
23. OKC was younger in 2010.

Not true.. I just did the math myself going by NBA-reference.com's team rosters guides

The 09'-10' Thunder had a average age of 25.17

The 12'-13' Rockets have a average age of 24.3

So maybe the stat I heard on the radio is true.. Houston may be the youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs. Impressive, especailly when you consider this is the first season they've played together (only player left from last year's roster is Chandler Parsons)

Last edited by TMac&Luther : 04-10-2013 at 03:07 AM.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:04 AM   #8
noob cake
Good college starter
 
noob cake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,451
noob cake has not been impressing people
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
Not true.. I just did the math myself going by NBA-reference.com's team rosters guides

The 09'-10' Thunder had a average age of 25.17

The 12'-13' Rockets have a average age of 24.3

So maybe the stat I heard on the radio is true.. Houston may be the youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs. Impressive, especailly when you consider this is the first season they've played toghter (only player left from last year's roster is Chandler Parsons)

Our starting 5 will probably go down as the youngest ever.
noob cake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:21 AM   #9
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20,273
KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

This in order of MPG in the playoffs. These 9 were the rotation in the playoffs. Guys like Etan Thomas, Kevin Ollie, and Kyle Weaver only played in 1 or 2 playoff games. The 9 I listed also played 55+ games in the regular season. If you want to make it an even 10, I could throw Kevin Ollie in there who was 37, but he only played in 25 games, so I didn't include him. Obviously the average age goes up quite a bit if you include Ollie and Thomas, but since neither played in more than 25 games and since neither played in the playoffs, I'm not including them.

Durant - 21 years old
Jeff Green - 23 years old
Westbrook - 21 years old
Ibaka - 20 years old
Krstic - 26 years old
Collison - 29 years old
Sefolosha - 25 years old
Harden - 20 years old
Maynor - 22 years old

Average Age: 23.0 years old


Average age of Rockets top 9 in terms of MPG (and guys still on the team):

Harden - 23 years old
Parsons - 24 years old
Lin - 24 years old
Asik - 26 years old
Delfino - 30 years old
Garcia - 31 years old
Beverly - 24 years old
Greg Smith 22 years old
Motiejunas - 22 years old

Average Age: 25.1 years old

So, if you go by that, the Thunder in 2010 were actually younger. Hard to say how you should really figure the Rocket's average age since they traded away some players. I believe the Thunder were maybe the 2nd youngest team ever to reach the Finals. Want to say I read or heard somewhere the '77 Blazers were the youngest.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:30 AM   #10
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20,273
KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noob cake
Our starting 5 will probably go down as the youngest ever.
While it's just a matter of a few 10ths of a year (whatever that comes down to in days and months), OKC's starting 5 in 2010 was younger than Houston's starting 5 this year. And I don't even know if that's the youngest starting 5 to ever make the playoffs. It probably isn't.

Westbrook - 21
Sefolosha - 25
Durant - 21
Green - 23
Krstic - 26

Average Age: 23.2 years old


Lin - 24
Harden - 23
Parsons - 24
Motiejunas - 22
Asik - 26

Average Age: 23.8 years old
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:36 AM   #11
TMac&Luther
Karl Malone's bastard
 
TMac&Luther's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,442
TMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat coolTMac&Luther is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
This in order of MPG in the playoffs. These 9 were the rotation in the playoffs. Guys like Etan Thomas, Kevin Ollie, and Kyle Weaver only played in 1 or 2 playoff games. The 9 I listed also played 55+ games in the regular season. If you want to make it an even 10, I could throw Kevin Ollie in there who was 37, but he only played in 25 games, so I didn't include him. Obviously the average age goes up quite a bit if you include Ollie and Thomas, but since neither played in more than 25 games and since neither played in the playoffs, I'm not including them.

Durant - 21 years old
Jeff Green - 23 years old
Westbrook - 21 years old
Ibaka - 20 years old
Krstic - 26 years old
Collison - 29 years old
Sefolosha - 25 years old
Harden - 20 years old
Maynor - 22 years old

Average Age: 23.0 years old


Average age of Rockets top 9 in terms of MPG (and guys still on the team):

Harden - 23 years old
Parsons - 24 years old
Lin - 24 years old
Asik - 26 years old
Delfino - 30 years old
Garcia - 31 years old
Beverly - 24 years old
Greg Smith 22 years old
Motiejunas - 22 years old

Average Age: 25.1 years old

So, if you go by that, the Thunder in 2010 were actually younger. Hard to say how you should really figure the Rocket's average age since they traded away some players. I believe the Thunder were maybe the 2nd youngest team ever to reach the Finals. Want to say I read or heard somewhere the '77 Blazers were the youngest.

Why would you discount the games they won (which helped them make the playoffs) by players who were dealt at the deadline. Making the playoffs takes a entire collective season of wins and effort. You can't just throw out the wins they had with other players who are no longer here and then add in just the players they finished the season with, it doesn't make sense. See you adding in Garcia who just now started playing with Parsons and Delfino out, yet you disregard all the minutes/games Patterson and Morris put in.


Houston was a younger team. Granted OKC had a younger playoff rotation, but the fact remains Houston was the youngest collective roster to qualify for the NBA playoffs.
TMac&Luther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 03:40 AM   #12
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer
 
KG215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 20,273
KG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterKG215 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMac&Luther
Why would you discount the games they won (which helped them make the playoffs) by players who were dealt at the deadline. Making the playoffs takes a entire collective season of wins and effort. You can't just throw out the wins they had with other players who are no longer here and then add in just the players they finished the season with, it doesn't make sense. See you adding in Garcia who just now started playing with Parsons and Delfino out, yet you disregard all the minutes/games Patterson and Morris put in.


Houston was a younger team. Granted OKC had a younger playoff rotation, but the fact remains Houston was the youngest collective roster to qualify for the NBA playoffs.
Like I said, it's hard to figure the Rockets average age since they traded away some younger payers. I'm not saying the should be discounted or you should throw out their wins, but they're also not actually part of the team that made the playoffs anymore. So correctly figuring out their average age is tough. I have no problem if you want to include Patterson and Morris. I was just going by the top 9 in MPG of the actual playoff roster.

Last edited by KG215 : 04-10-2013 at 03:42 AM.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 04:47 AM   #13
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!
 
brantonli's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: 13433 km from Land of 2 Rings
Posts: 6,627
brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

Quote:
Coach McHale 4 Coach of the Year! He has the most inexperienced tm ever on brink of West Playoffs! Also,6th youngest tm ever 2make playoffs


Daryl Morey's tweet, so even the GM concedes that this Rockets aren't the youngest. However, I think a previous tweet (can't find it now) mentioned that based on previous season's minutes, the Rockets have the least experienced team in the playoffs.
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 05:22 AM   #14
9512
hon hon hon eat snails
 
9512's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,291
9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

If the Lakers don't want Dwight Howard, the Rockets should have a go at him.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #15
Mr Exlax
McFailed next season
 
Mr Exlax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Houston
Posts: 4,155
Mr Exlax is a pretty well-respected posterMr Exlax is a pretty well-respected posterMr Exlax is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: 2013 Houston Rockets.. Youngest team in NBA history to make the playoffs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
If the Lakers don't want Dwight Howard, the Rockets should have a go at him.

If we can land him this offseason, Rockets 2014-2015 season Finals. 2015-2016 Champions. Mr Exlax FMVP. Goat Towelboy
Mr Exlax is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:45 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site















Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy