Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-27-2013, 03:59 AM   #16
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Xiao Yao You is starting to rub some people the wrong way
Default Re: .John Stockton Becomes All-Time Assists Leader (1995) .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
And Probably The Steals Record.

Whats Even More Crazy 1984-87 Stockton Was More of a Bench Player. So He It Did Taking Lesser Games than Magic and Much Lesser Minutes than Magic. Yes he Had Malone But What Did Magic Have? Kareem, Worthy, Scott, Cooper, McAdoo and Wilkes Team. Even More Impressive! The Greatest Pure PG Ever! (Yes, He is White)

Magic had a lot more assists in him before AIDS derailed him early.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:11 PM   #17
Bricklayer
Decent playground baller

Bricklayer has no real reputation yet.

Thanks for the props, Round Mound. For all of us who grew up in Utah during the 90s, Stockton was our guy. Couldn't have asked for a better role model. I loved his Hall of Fame speech, too. Very self-effacing and humble.

I don't think many of us truly realized how good he was until after he retired. He performed on such a high level for nearly 20 years on a nightly basis and I think we took him for granted. For me, it wasn't until about 1998 that I realized how lucky we were to have watched him for all those years and that we would soon lose him.

The only knock I have against him is that he fooled most of us average white boys into thinking we had a shot at the NBA. Ha. "If 6-foot Stockton can do it, why can't I??" But there was nothing average about Stockton. For one thing, his heart rate was a freakishly low 37 beats per minute. He could run for days. And another, he had monstrous hands that allowed him to control the ball like a tennis ball and flip those classic one-handed passes.

I doubt another like Stockton will come around, but I'm glad he came to the Jazz!!
Bricklayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
crisoner
10 plus years on ISH

crisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablecrisoner is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

And he did it all while wearing these gems.
crisoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 01:52 PM   #19
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bricklayer
Thanks for the props, Round Mound. For all of us who grew up in Utah during the 90s, Stockton was our guy.

and the 80's

Quote:
I don't think many of us truly realized how good he was until after he retired.

I thought they should have traded their all-star Rickey Green the first time I saw him. The fact that he was left on the bench and they later lost Rickey in the expansion draft was typical of the franchise. Obviously no one could have predicted all he would accomplish.

Quote:
He performed on such a high level for nearly 20 years on a nightly basis and I think we took him for granted. For me, it wasn't until about 1998 that I realized how lucky we were to have watched him for all those years and that we would soon lose him.

The team certainly took him for granted by underpaying him and not putting the players around him and Karl to take advantage of their good fortune in getting them in back to back drafts and thinking there would always be a next year.

Quote:
The only knock I have against him is that he fooled most of us average white boys into thinking we had a shot at the NBA. Ha. "If 6-foot Stockton can do it, why can't I??" But there was nothing average about Stockton. For one thing, his heart rate was a freakishly low 37 beats per minute. He could run for days. And another, he had monstrous hands that allowed him to control the ball like a tennis ball and flip those classic one-handed passes.

He was also fast and strong. He was very athletic. His biggest knock was being too unselfish and too loyal to the Jazz.

Quote:
I doubt another like Stockton will come around, but I'm glad he came to the Jazz!!

Supposedly Portland wanted him if the Jazz hadn't picked him. Got to wonder what he would have did with all that talent in Adelman's high paced offense. The Jazz were too quick to settle for the half court game when the best he and Karl ever played was arguably their coming out party in '88 against the defending and eventual champion Lakers where they about ran Showtime out in the 2nd round if not for Layden and Ivaroni.

I was also disappointed he didn't take the money at the end of his career and play for a ring.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:58 AM   #20
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick

Round Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation hereRound Mound has an incredible reputation here

John Stockton and Jerry West Never Get Talked About Here on ISHs Because Most Kids Prefer Watching Slam Dunks and Athletic Acrobatic Moves Instead of Fundamental and Skillful Ball. Sad Thing
Round Mound is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:04 AM   #21
LBJFTW
Duncan>Kobe>Lebron

LBJFTW has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Round Mound
And Probably The Steals Record.

Whats Even More Crazy 1984-87 Stockton Was More of a Bench Player. So He It Did Taking Lesser Games than Magic and Much Lesser Minutes than Magic. Yes he Had Malone But What Did Magic Have? Kareem, Worthy, Scott, Cooper, McAdoo and Wilkes Team. Even More Impressive! The Greatest Pure PG Ever! (Yes, He is White)

Even more impressive is KJ averaged 20 points and 10 assists while shooting +50% WHILE having Barkley on his team, and he did it three times.

Stockton didn't shake my hand, but Malone did lol.
LBJFTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJFTW
Even more impressive is KJ averaged 20 points and 10 assists while shooting +50% WHILE having Barkley on his team, and he did it three times.

Stockton didn't shake my hand, but Malone did lol.

A lot of pg's had great seasons during John's career. The difference is he did it year in and year out for 2 decades while they came and went.

John wasn't that friendly when I met him either but he was with two of his young boys. Maybe the one that played in the summer league last year and the one that played college football?
Old 03-28-2013, 02:45 PM   #23
brantonli
In Morey We Trust!

brantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterbrantonli is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorMurder
Love that he beat the record and then still played for 8 more seasons. Dude was so good.

My favourite Stockton video is where he isn't even playing basketball:

http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=6iBhNppSBeE
brantonli is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: