Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 10:05 AM   #16
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Xiao Yao You has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: Which underrated 80's players would be dominant today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementally morale
Not exactly underrated, but I think James Worthy would rule today.

He was/is overrated.

Quote:
Mark Eaton would lead the league in blocks.

He probably wouldn't even be in the league. Probably be the car mechanic he was when UCLA found him to sit at the end of their bench.

Bigger isn't necessarily better like it was during his day. Probably would have never played for anyone other than the Jazz anyway.

They played 4 on 5 on offense with him standing near half court so he could get back on D because he was so slow. He was pretty clueless. Only thing he had going for him was size.

It's no coincidence that the Jazz's best days were after he was forced into retirement. They struggled initially on D as they adjusted from having him guarding the rim but were eventually a better defensive team without him.

I'll go with Darrell Griffith. He was on the verge of being an all-star before breaking his foot while holding out which the Jazz(as they often did) never got over it and he lost his starting job to the 3rd string scrub Bobby Hansen and never got it back. First guy with the green light from 3 as he broke the record twice with 90 and 91 3's which is nothing today.
Xiao Yao You is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:08 AM   #17
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Rasheed1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #18
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locked_Up_Tonight
Um, change of teams played a huge role in it. Utah with Malone and Stockton to being the "best player" on the Charlotte Hornets.

Had more to do with the coach in Utah. He was stuck on the bench with Stockton. I didn't think much of him when they gave Dantley away to get him. I thought he was just a gunner but he was actually a pretty good player who could have helped the Jazz a lot more than he did if they'd played him.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:10 AM   #19
elementally morale
College superstar

elementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xiao Yao You
He was/is overrated.

If anything, Worthy was underrated a little bit, but not criminally underrated. I think it is not really the point of the thread though. We are in search of 80s players who would be great today, and I think Worthy is a fine example. What he did back then would work very well today.
elementally morale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:13 AM   #20
Locked_Up_Tonight
National High School Star

Locked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Had more to do with the coach in Utah. He was stuck on the bench with Stockton. I didn't think much of him when they gave Dantley away to get him. I thought he was just a gunner but he was actually a pretty good player who could have helped the Jazz a lot more than he did if they'd played him.

I was hinting at that with the Stockton/Malone. Not that it was a bad choice but Sloan used it and everyone else was kind of an afterthought in the offense.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #21
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementally morale
If anything, Worthy was underrated a little bit, but not criminally underrated. I think it is not really the point of the thread though. We are in search of 80s players who would be great today, and I think Worthy is a fine example. What he did back then would work very well today.

He was perennial all-star starter and a HOFer. Don't see how he was ever underrated. What he did well was run the floor. He was lucky enough to play with Magic during the run and gun 80's. I never thought he was a whole lot better than Byron Scott personally and Scott was never an all-star nor a HOFer.

Quote:
I was hinting at that with the Stockton/Malone. Not that it was a bad choice but Sloan used it and everyone else was kind of an afterthought in the offense.

Sloan was just an assistant. Layden was the clueless one at that time but yes Sloan relied to heavily on Stockton and Malone and it hurt them when Karl didn't show up in the finals and no one else was prepared to step up because they'd never had the opportunity.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #22
Locked_Up_Tonight
National High School Star

Locked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation hereLocked_Up_Tonight has a near all-star reputation here

You know I totally forgot about Layden. That is sad. For some reason I thought Sloan took over in the late 80's. I didn't realize it was 89 though.

Last edited by Locked_Up_Tonight : 03-17-2013 at 10:39 AM.
Locked_Up_Tonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:40 AM   #23
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Rasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation hereRasheed1 has an incredible reputation here

Sidney Moncrief

Kiki Vandeweghe
Old 03-17-2013, 10:44 AM   #24
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
You know I totally forgot about Layden. That is sad. For some reason I thought Sloan took over in the late 80's. I didn't realize it was 89 though.

I wish I could forget about Frank.
Old 03-17-2013, 10:59 AM   #25
Kovach
Decent playground baller

Kovach is considered somewhat coolKovach is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Isn't it the way this thread works? Name a borderline all-star and say how he would dominate this pitiful league now?
Wrong choice of the word, way too hyperbolic.
Kovach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 11:02 AM   #26
elementally morale
College superstar

elementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputationelementally morale has a terrific reputation

Joe Dumars would be DPOY in 2012-2013.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:04 AM   #27
Kovach
Decent playground baller

What about Terry Cummings? Only 2 time all-star, about 22ppg with less than 19fga. Had an extremely accurate fadeaway jumper that nobody could block.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:06 AM   #28
Kovach
Decent playground baller

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker
Walter Davis
When that guy got hot it was mesmerizing to watch. Had the most beautiful jumper I've ever seen.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:09 AM   #29
elementally morale
College superstar

Chris Mullin and Dale Ellis would have a field day. And Rik Smits, as limited as he was would be a max player.
Old 03-17-2013, 11:18 AM   #30
Rasheed1
3-time NBA All-Star

Adrian Dantley
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: