Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-17-2013, 12:29 PM   #31
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation
Default Re: did the Knicks make the right move in letting Lin go for Felton?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mamba
the knicks all in all are just a mess, and somehow always will be.
Sure, sure.

Thats why, as of January this year, the Knicks franchise is valued at $1.1 billion. According to Forbes, they're #1 valued team in the NBA, ahead of LA.

Value has grown 41% since last year.

So, yeah, they're a real "mess".
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:30 PM   #32
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrono90
Knicks also wanted to pay Lin as least as possible and thought no body else was serious about him. They had a chance to offer and close out a deal but they never offered. He went out the season as a free agent.

Now that I think about it...I can't remember another team besides Rockets seriously pursuing Lin..can you? Maybe the Knicks actually did analysis, analyzed each team, and thought no team would make a big offer.

I actually thought the Suns were going to make Lin a big offer, to replace Nash as face of franchise. But they went with Ivan Drago.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:33 PM   #33
Go Getter
Wild 100's

Go Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation hereGo Getter has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
Sure, sure.

Thats why, as of January this year, the Knicks franchise is valued at $1.1 billion. According to Forbes, they're #1 valued team in the NBA, ahead of LA.

Value has grown 41% since last year.

So, yeah, they're a real "mess".
Finances and on court matters differ.

The Cubs make more cash than most franchises and they are a complete mess. The fact that NY makes all that dough and still can't produce a title team supports the aforementioned claim.
Go Getter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #34
Whoah10115
Linja Status

Whoah10115 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
They were a .500 team because the team was new, young and had significant cap room to spend in the offseason... and then we panicked and got raped in the Melo trade despite Denver having no leverage what so ever.

Now just imagine getting a max level FA to that team and with all the multiple picks..

100% right.

And as far as Lin goes...it's a legit question, if he would mesh well with Melo. But then again, not really. If Anthony was going to start a new season, fresh, with Woodson clearly establishing him as #1, and was going to whine because of some Jeremy Lin problem...then what kind of player is he? He wasn't going to do all that.

It was right to keep Lin. That's the truth. We made a mistake in our approach to signing him. What Lin did isn't exactly kosher with me, but the whole thing was a problem. We would be better off this year and in the future, with Jeremy Lin.
Whoah10115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:40 PM   #35
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Go Getter
Finances and on court matters differ.

The Cubs make more cash than most franchises and they are a complete mess. The fact that NY makes all that dough and still can't produce a title team supports the aforementioned claim.
Finances are always a big part of the picture.

On court, how exactly do you justify calling a team that has consistently been among the top 3 in the conference a "mess"?

The overwhelming factor in the Knicks problems this year do not stem from mismanagement, but from injury. With a fully healthy squad, does anyone doubt that NY would present a serious challenge to Miami?

In no way, shape or form are the Knicks a "mess". There are a number of teams that deserve such a designation. NY is not one of them.
Old 03-17-2013, 12:44 PM   #36
SacJB Shady
College superstar

SacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputationSacJB Shady has a very bad reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
They didn't let him go for Felton. They let him go because he went behind their back and asked for more money. The tax penalty for him in the third year would have been 50 million dollars.

And yes they made the right trade by getting Melo. Those guys wouldn't be with the team by next year.

How do u know he went behind their back and asked for money?
SacJB Shady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:52 PM   #37
plUto or bUst
I hit open 5-footers

plUto or bUst has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by SacJB Shady
How do u know he went behind their back and asked for money?

This is just a fairy tale disgruntled Knicks fans tell themselves so they can feel better about their team. From everything I've heard, Houston offered Lin a contract, and they Knicks said they would match everything up to a billion dollars. Morey tested that resolve by upping the offer when Lin flew in to Houston to sign the contract. What was Lin supposed to do, say no? Especially after the Knicks said they would match "up to a billion dollars?".
plUto or bUst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:12 PM   #38
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

Quote:
Can you substantiate this? I've heard this argument over and over, but have yet to see solid facts which point to any windfall for the Rockets due to Lin's presence.

I can't substantiate my claim. I am simply going by Lin fanboys and haters who assume that Lin is a token who can bring the Asian/Chinese fan base to poor in money to the NBA.

Did the NBA enjoy increased revenue for the Linsanity run? Yes.

Lin is taking a piece of the pie that I think belonged to him. It's just that the Rockets are the ones paying for the money the Knicks, NY market, and the NBA made off of Lin.

The Chinese are indeed paying attention of the NBA based on the All star voting alone. Lin was 3rd in guards. he almost started and almost.

In the end, money talks. The NBa is a business will cater to any demography to make that extra buck. It's that now Asians have more influence and have a voice.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:49 PM   #39
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputation

Quote:
Finances are always a big part of the picture.

On court, how exactly do you justify calling a team that has consistently been among the top 3 in the conference a "mess"?

The overwhelming factor in the Knicks problems this year do not stem from mismanagement, but from injury. With a fully healthy squad, does anyone doubt that NY would present a serious challenge to Miami?

In no way, shape or form are the Knicks a "mess". There are a number of teams that deserve such a designation. NY is not one of them.
how can you field a team of geriatric players, players with prior injury history, weight issues and not realize injury is a real and probable risk? risk management is certainly within the purvey of front office activites and knicks definitely were not sufficiently prepared given the players they had signed.
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:18 PM   #40
GMAC
Get RED

GMAC has an OK reputation so far

Only delusional NYK fans keep talking about this backstabbing business. As it has been said many times in this thread, Morey called the Knicks' bluff and added the poison pill AFTER Woodson's $1B claim. Morey offered the same contract to Asik, which the Bulls also declined to match.

Lin got a single offer and signed the only paper that was presented to him. In the GQ article in the Lin issue, he said himself that he thought he would spend the rest of his career playing in front of those MSG fans. If the Knicks weren't so busy chasing pipe dreams of landing Steve Nash, they could have offered the same contract they offered Novak.

NYK was going to be over the cap anyways. Since when have the Knicks been known to be frugal? They chose the worst time to be cheap and now they are stuck with Fat Felton (who has regressed back to his mean after a good start), while Lin continues to improve this season.
GMAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 05:48 PM   #41
Shepseskaf
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
The Chinese are indeed paying attention of the NBA based on the All star voting alone. Lin was 3rd in guards. he almost started.
That is true. But there was a long thread a couple of months ago that cast lots of doubt on exactly how popular Lin was in China -- given the fact that his parents are actually from Taiwan.

Some posters who said they were living in China wrote that Lin wasn't really a big deal there, and got far less pub than, say, Kobe and LeBron. Of course, Yao got much more, but he was a fixture in Chinese basketball.

In short, the articles pretty much concluded that a lot of Chinese view Lin is an American, and haven't embraced him based on his racial heritage.
Old 03-17-2013, 06:44 PM   #42
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation

Quote:
That is true. But there was a long thread a couple of months ago that cast lots of doubt on exactly how popular Lin was in China -- given the fact that his parents are actually from Taiwan.

Some posters who said they were living in China wrote that Lin wasn't really a big deal there, and got far less pub than, say, Kobe and LeBron. Of course, Yao got much more, but he was a fixture in Chinese basketball.

In short, the articles pretty much concluded that a lot of Chinese view Lin is an American, and haven't embraced him based on his racial heritage.

I think it depends on who you talk to IMO.

Some Chinese from China would gladly accept Lin as one of "theirs" while others don't and will see Lin as some traitor or whatever.

In Taiwan though, he is definitely loved by the locals there.

I do follow Lin's FB fan page and a large portion of his comments are written in Chinese. I clicked on their profiles and many of them said they were from Chinese cities as well as Taiwan. Another portion are Asian Americans who truly hail Lin as their hero more so than the Chinese fans themselves. Lin has more of a niche compared to Yao that's why he didn't lead all vote getters like Yao did.

Personally I still think his $25 million contract will be covered by the fan following in Asia or the US.

Considering the NBA accumulates at least $3 billion/year. Paying Lin $8.3 mil is peanuts in relation of the Linsanity run alone.

Last edited by 9512 : 03-17-2013 at 06:47 PM.
9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 06:50 PM   #43
Shepseskaf
Old School

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9512
Personally I still think his contract will covered by the fan following in Asia or the US.
I hear you, but I'm skeptical. Until I can see solid numbers and fact regarding his financial impact, in jersey sales, tickets sold, tv ratings, etc., I won't be a believer in this.

It should also be mentioned that the vast majority of the new Asian fans are followers of Lin only, not really of the Rockets or the NBA. So, they'll tend to be a lot more transitory than a person who is into the game itself.
Old 03-17-2013, 07:00 PM   #44
TheBigVeto
Negging Me Is Gay

TheBigVeto has a bad reputationTheBigVeto has a bad reputationTheBigVeto has a bad reputationTheBigVeto has a bad reputation

Hell no. Lin >>>>>>>>>>>> Felton.
TheBigVeto is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: