Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #16
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation
Default Re: Tim Duncan vs Larry Bird

give me Duncan. guy is a monster on d and on the block. some of those finals performances were insane.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 08:58 AM   #17
Pushxx
Anti-NBA Hipster

Pushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation herePushxx has an incredible reputation here

Bird. Not close.
Pushxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 09:00 AM   #18
Harison
The Awakening

Harison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this boardHarison is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovach
And I can't imagine what what the results would have been like if Bird had played in a 29-30-team joke of the league with more than 70% pure garbage teams.
This goes both ways.

Not only that, Duncan in Golden age wouldnt win any MVPs, DPOYs, and certainly would had won less rings compared to Bird.

Now imagine what Bird could do now, with current rules and weak competition. He would be perennial MVP, and eat current superstars for breakfast.
Harison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:27 AM   #19
DMAVS41
NBA Legend

DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harison
Not only that, Duncan in Golden age wouldnt win any MVPs, DPOYs, and certainly would had won less rings compared to Bird.

Now imagine what Bird could do now, with current rules and weak competition. He would be perennial MVP, and eat current superstars for breakfast.

Certainly would have had less rings? What is the basis for this claim?
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
DMAVS41
NBA Legend

DMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterDMAVS41 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovach
And I can't imagine what what the results would have been like if Bird had played in a 29-30-team joke of the league with more than 70% pure garbage teams.
This goes both ways.

I think that overstates it a bit, but not sure what relevance that really has...it's not like Duncan's numbers are based on his competition or anything like that.

I have no problem with someone taking Bird...just not an easy choice if we are being objective.

The under-rating of Duncan and what he has done is crazy. If he had played the exact same career in a place like Boston or LA or NY...the answers would be extremely different than they have been in this thread. And that is silly.

Just imagine for a second that Duncan had led the Knicks to 4 titles and 14 straight years over 50 wins...LOL at the idea that people would be saying..."Bird and it isn't close"
DMAVS41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:39 AM   #21
kuniva_dAMiGhTy
The First School

kuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation herekuniva_dAMiGhTy has an incredible reputation here

I'll roll w/ Larry Joe Bird.

IMO, Bird at his ABSOLUTE best was simply on another level from Duncan. That's what makes me rank him higher (I have him in my top 6; Duncan somewhere around the 8-9 range).
kuniva_dAMiGhTy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:55 AM   #22
brain drain
Serious playground baller

brain drain has not been impressing people

This is getting ridiculous.

I think everybody agrees that Duncan is clearly the better defender.

Bird played in a significantly higher-paced and higher scoring era, so comparing raw numbers doesn't make much sense.

Let's look at advanced stats for the playoffs (because I guess we all agree that should be the measuring stick for comparing all time greats, who cares about regular season games against teams with losing records?).

Bird:

Duncan:

I don't see how anybody in their right mind could say that Bird was a better playoff performer than Duncan.

Actually, Duncan was better, and it's not even close.

And to those who claim that Duncan had it easy in a weak era: I'd take every bet that the Western Conference during Duncan's era was every bit as tough as the Eastern Conference of the Bird Era.

Last edited by brain drain : 03-16-2013 at 10:57 AM.
brain drain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 10:56 AM   #23
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by brain drain
This is getting ridiculous.

I think everybody agrees that Duncan is clearly the better defender.

Bird played in a significantly higher-paced and higher scoring era, so comparing raw numbers doesn't make much sense.

Let's look at advanced stats for the playoffs (because I guess we all agree that should be the measuring stick for comparing all time greats, who cares about regular season games against teams with losing records?).

Bird:

Duncan:

I don't see how anybody in their right mind could say that Bird was a better playoff performer than Duncan.

stats tell the entire story

Look past the box score, and you will see why Bird is better
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:02 AM   #24
brain drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
stats tell the entire story

Look past the box score, and you will see why Bird is better

Oh yeah, I clearly forgot that Bird won more championship with worse teammates. And that he never lost against lower-seeded teams in the playoffs. My mistake.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:06 AM   #25
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Oh yeah, I clearly forgot that Bird won more championship with worse teammates. And that he never lost against lower-seeded teams in the playoffs. My mistake.

I don't need to explain to you why Bird is better
kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:08 AM   #26
brain drain

Quote:
Originally Posted by kNicKz
I don't need to explain to you why Bird is better
Yeah, I know, cause you just need to smoke some pot, listen to the legends of yore and look beyond the boxscore to see the light.
Old 03-16-2013, 11:11 AM   #27
IGOTGAME
NBA All-star

IGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputationIGOTGAME has a terrific reputation

lol @ people not appreciating Tim Duncan. did you people even watch what he was doing in the playoffs.

Last edited by IGOTGAME : 03-16-2013 at 11:20 AM.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:16 AM   #28
Kovach
Decent playground baller

Kovach is considered somewhat coolKovach is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMAVS41
I think that overstates it a bit, but not sure what relevance that really has...it's not like Duncan's numbers are based on his competition or anything like that.

I have no problem with someone taking Bird...just not an easy choice if we are being objective.

The under-rating of Duncan and what he has done is crazy. If he had played the exact same career in a place like Boston or LA or NY...the answers would be extremely different than they have been in this thread. And that is silly.

Just imagine for a second that Duncan had led the Knicks to 4 titles and 14 straight years over 50 wins...LOL at the idea that people would be saying..."Bird and it isn't close"
I wasn't trying to underrate Duncan, he is one of the all-time greats in my book, I just get agitated by the idea that Bird's success was the reflection of talent he was surrounded by. It was overwhelming team basketball that made Boston a dominant superteam, not individual talents of his team-mates, at least not to an extent people try to present it nowdays.
Kovach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:19 AM   #29
Kovach
Decent playground baller

Kovach is considered somewhat coolKovach is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
And to those who claim that Duncan had it easy in a weak era: I'd take every bet that the Western Conference during Duncan's era was every bit as tough as the Eastern Conference of the Bird Era.
Apart from early 00's Lakers no team stands a chance against those Sixers and Bucks teams.
Kovach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2013, 11:20 AM   #30
wakencdukest
Local High School Star

wakencdukest has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket_Nakedz
tim duncan is whiter than wayne brady and bryant gumble combined.

I see that as a strong quality.
wakencdukest is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: