Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 08:24 PM   #1
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default GT: 2/23 7 p.m. EST: Cleveland Cavaliers (17-37) @ Orlando Magic (15-40)

Early on in Orlando, Cavs coming out pretty strong.

Kyrie had a nice off the backboard pass to Gee on the break. I was curious to see how they would score it, and they correctly marked it an assist.

Tyler Zeller looks a lot better as of late.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:02 PM   #2
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: GT: 2/23 7 p.m. EST: Cleveland Cavaliers (17-37) @ Orlando Magic (15-40)

Tristan with just one shot attempt so far... They need to start feeding him and testing Nicholson's defense.

Dion having his most inefficient night in a while... Been shooting 55% from the field in the last six games or so. Starting off a little cold. I still love the way he has improved his game in the last couple months.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:39 PM   #3
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Default Re: GT: 2/23 7 p.m. EST: Cleveland Cavaliers (17-37) @ Orlando Magic (15-40)

Tyler. Zeller.
Old 02-23-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
LikeABosh
Banned

Loneliest GT I've seen
LikeABosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:41 PM   #5
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABosh
Loneliest GT I've seen
Excuse me. I'm performing a solo act, here.

Thanks.
Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #6
KG215
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Wait, I thought Tyler Zeller sucked and there wasn't one thing he was even kind of good at as a basketball player?
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #7
AlonzoGOAT
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABosh
Loneliest GT I've seen
Posting here to make it less lonelier.
AlonzoGOAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Jameerthefear
Banned

*sigh. will Orlando win another game this season? :/
Jameerthefear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:17 PM   #9
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jameerthefear
*sigh. will Orlando win another game this season? :/

We are clearly the worst team in the league now. I would be fine without winning anymore except the next Laker game
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:19 PM   #10
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
Wait, I thought Tyler Zeller sucked and there wasn't one thing he was even kind of good at as a basketball player?
As I remember it, that was the mantra of some "Johnny Come Lately" Kyrie fans who were trying to put down his teammates. Most Cavs' fans I've interacted with never wavered in the thought that Tyler was eventually going to be a good player.

He has really looked good in the last few weeks. 16/7 tonight on 7-12 shooting.

His defense still needs a lot of work, but he is coming along.

This whole team is starting to come along, in fact. I said during the first quarter of the season that two things were really causing the Cavs to look a lot worse than they actually were... (1) the schedule to start the season was completely insane for Cleveland. There was a point where they had played something like 16 road games to 4 home games. Something crazy like that. (2) The median age of the starting lineup is 22 and that includes two rookies and two sophomores. It takes time.

Since Jan. 16, this team is 9-6. Since Dec. 21, they are 13-14.

The vastly improved bench with Speights, Ellington and Livingston along with these young guys getting it together has made this, imo, about a .500 team as far as how they are currently playing on the floor... Which is a great sign for such a young squad that lost a player like Anderson Varejao for the season.

Future is bright.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #11
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorKid117
We are clearly the worst team in the league now. I would be fine without winning anymore except the next Laker game
Which shouldn't be a surprise. I seriously thought Orlando could be a 12-15 win team this year. Seems like half the rotation is rookies and second year players, and the best players/veterans on the team are Afflalo, Glen Davis, and Jameer. Not going to win many games when you've got a bunch of rookies and those are your three best players. Redick, too,, before he got traded.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:07 AM   #12
KG215

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBlackAttack
As I remember it, that was the mantra of some "Johnny Come Lately" Kyrie fans who were trying to put down his teammates. Most Cavs' fans I've interacted with never wavered in the thought that Tyler was eventually going to be a good player.

He has really looked good in the last few weeks. 16/7 tonight on 7-12 shooting.

His defense still needs a lot of work, but he is coming along.

This whole team is starting to come along, in fact. I said during the first quarter of the season that two things were really causing the Cavs to look a lot worse than they actually were... (1) the schedule to start the season was completely insane for Cleveland. There was a point where they had played something like 16 road games to 4 home games. Something crazy like that. (2) The median age of the starting lineup is 22 and that includes two rookies and two sophomores. It takes time.

Since Jan. 16, this team is 9-6. Since Dec. 21, they are 13-14.

The vastly improved bench with Speights, Ellington and Livingston along with these young guys getting it together has made this, imo, about a .500 team as far as how they are currently playing on the floor... Which is a great sign for such a young squad that lost a player like Anderson Varejao for the season.

Future is bright.
Yeah, that one dumbass I can somewhat understand. He's a Duke grad/fan so his love for Kyrie and hate for Zeller is somewhat understandable...no matter how ignorant. I don't know what brandonislegend's deal is.

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised Zeller's biggest issue is defense right now. Even with ACC DPOY Jon Henson on the team, Zeller usually graded out higher defensively when the coaching staff watched the game film. They gave out "Defensive Player of the Game" awards and Zeller won more than Henson, and was given the team's DPOY award his junior and senior seasons I believe. He was an excellent on ball post/positional defender. Is it more a strength issue or effort issue?

And I think Cleveland could be a playoff team next year. It may be in the 6-8 seed range, but a core that's a year older with Kyrie Irving as its best player could absolutely make the playoffs in a weak East next year.
Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #13
FatComputerNerd
Decent college freshman

Cleveland would have been a playoff team this year if AV hadn't gone down.
FatComputerNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:15 AM   #14
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

Quote:
Yeah, that one dumbass I can somewhat understand. He's a Duke grad/fan so his love for Kyrie and hate for Zeller is somewhat understandable...no matter how ignorant. I don't know what brandonislegend's deal is.

Anyway, I'm kind of surprised Zeller's biggest issue is defense right now. Even with ACC DPOY Jon Henson on the team, Zeller usually graded out higher defensively when the coaching staff watched the game film. They gave out "Defensive Player of the Game" awards and Zeller won more than Henson, and was given the team's DPOY award his junior and senior seasons I believe. He was an excellent on ball post/positional defender. Is it more a strength issue or effort issue?
I think it is a combination of things...

First of all, he's being asked to do way too much this early in his career, with Varejao going down. I think his ideal scenario would be playing 15-20 minutes a night off the bench at PF or C when we want to go small.

Instead, he's being asked to play starter minutes at center night-in, night-out. He just doesn't have the upper body strength yet to compete at a high level on the defensive end in that kind of scenario.

But, he's getting better. In the long run, this trial-by-fire may end up serving him well. Really, it already has. He's much tougher, both physically and mentally, than he was a couple months ago.

I love the way he runs the floor.

Quote:
And I think Cleveland could be a playoff team next year. It may be in the 6-8 seed range, but a core that's a year older with Kyrie Irving as its best player could absolutely make the playoffs in a weak East next year.

I'm coming to that conclusion more and more. If it is deemed that next year, we make the leap, then Grant and Gilbert will begin using all of that cap space which has been carefully monitored over the last few years. It's pretty clear they've been waiting for the right moment to use it.

With the way these young guys are starting to play and all of that space, there could be a huge leap for this team next year... Again, if it is deemed "the right time" by the front office.

Either way, this team is a lot of fun to watch. When James left us with nothing but a trade exception a couple years ago, I never thought the rebuild would be this much fun. I'm quite enjoying watching all of this potential come together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FatComputerNerd
Cleveland would have been a playoff team this year if AV hadn't gone down.

Meh, not too sure about that. Fact is, the team has been much better since he got injured, at least record-wise. Now, like I said above, there was a brutal stretch of road games to start the season and there was also an 11-game stretch while AV was playing wherein we didn't have Kyrie.

I'm not saying the team is better minus Varejao... He's a great player. But, Tristan is undoubtedly playing way better without having to compete with Varejao for a lot of the same space on the floor.
Old 02-24-2013, 03:16 AM   #15
GatorKid117
Oh the Bealsanity

Quote:
Which shouldn't be a surprise. I seriously thought Orlando could be a 12-15 win team this year. Seems like half the rotation is rookies and second year players, and the best players/veterans on the team are Afflalo, Glen Davis, and Jameer. Not going to win many games when you've got a bunch of rookies and those are your three best players. Redick, too,, before he got traded.

I think if everyone were healthy the whole season and we kept Redick we could have hovered around .400 or so. To start the reason we were doing quite well. But injuries have really taken their toll this season on the Magic which makes our already talentless team even less talented.

I'm quite fine with it though. In 1 year we've completely rehauled the veteran laden team with young players. Vucevic looks like a stud and Harkless has really come on strong the past few weeks. Nicholson is already a competent offensive player (shame his D is so pathetic) so their are bright spots.

The almighty tank cannot be beaten with this current squad
GatorKid117 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: