Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-24-2013, 01:03 AM   #46
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

Default Re: NBA players obligated to "try" to win championships? Can players play for fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quizno
they're not being paid to have fun

100% of the NBA franchise owners agree with you
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:15 AM   #47
I<3NBA
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: NBA players obligated to "try" to win championships? Can players play for fun?

it isn't fun if you are losing. yes i'd like to have fun. for me to have fun, i need to be winning. and winning big. like destroying the competition as Lebron is doing.

i would be satisfied with just one ring tho. i could chill and relax after that.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:24 AM   #48
DuMa
Canned

I always thought there should be extra incentive for players to play harder in some regular season games to win. we all know they can play so much harder because half of the league plays so hard in the playoffs. its like a night and day difference. I would be ok with some kind of monetary prize for the winner of the game each night. it would give players extra incentive to win.
DuMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:38 AM   #49
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Being
As if playing a "game" is any more respectable than having fun. LMAO
Playing basketball accomplishes what, exactly?
Its not about the fact thats its a "game" but rather it is what these men dedicated their life to. You better take that shit serious. Its part of being a man.. something this generation doesnt know anything about. Or you risk becoming some worthless douche like Lil Wayne, whos spent his whole life rapping and has contributed absolutely nothing to rap. As soon as he is done he will be forgotten.

Its called a legacy. Like Dwight Howard for example... Everyone knows hes an ass cus hes not taking shit serious and wants to have fun. Dont be Dwight Howard.
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:44 AM   #50
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

And to touch on another point. What exactly is having fun? Can anyone here explain to me? How do you play for fun? Which team has the most fun in the NBA now?

Just the concept alone makes my brain hurt and exposes how sad this generation really is. A bunch of clowns here. Clowns are fun right?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:46 AM   #51
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
If you play basketball just for fun, you'll get a career like Tmac or Wince Harder's.
2 players who have had some of the most depressing careers. How exactly did they play for fun?
Old 02-24-2013, 01:57 AM   #52
iamgine

Rather than using the OP's confusing definition, lets just say a very talented players who don't put basketball as one of his priority. It's just a mean to get money and it's fun.

Someone who chose to spend holidays with his children instead of training and getting better. Someone who attend their wife's delivering their baby instead of playing in the playoff. Someone who polish their shot because they don't wanna bang bodies in the paint due to more risk of injury thus endangering his source of income.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:05 AM   #53
alleykat
High school junior varsity star

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
So should we call it the Dirk era? The Celtic era? The Chauncey era?

Nope, the Lebron era fits perfectly considering in his own words " championships don't define a career" (odd considering he jumped ship to increase his chances ten fold at a chip..)

But mostly it stems from his fans claiming for 6+ years that "winning isn't everything" to help themselves cope with the possibility of Bron never winning a championship.

Back in his Cleveland days once they lost a series it was always "who cares if they lost did you see those stats????"

This is an era where a players actively think about FG% during games, don't take last second shots in the 1st 2nd & 3rd if its more than likely they'll miss, its an era where players don't take losses personally and find some sort of satisfaction or contempt if their stats look good on paper even after a loss

It's not an era unless u dominate the league man.....call it whoevers era u want, just know that it seems ur defining a player u hate than an era....should we call Kobe's era the "jack up shot era" or Duncan's "boring fundamentals era"?

If they dominate that way, it is still their era then, regardless if u don't like how they play.

Last edited by alleykat : 02-24-2013 at 02:08 AM.
alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:52 AM   #54
Living Being
Entity of Existence

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
Its not about the fact thats its a "game" but rather it is what these men dedicated their life to. You better take that shit serious. Its part of being a man.. something this generation doesnt know anything about. Or you risk becoming some worthless douche like Lil Wayne, whos spent his whole life rapping and has contributed absolutely nothing to rap. As soon as he is done he will be forgotten.

Its called a legacy. Like Dwight Howard for example... Everyone knows hes an ass cus hes not taking shit serious and wants to have fun. Dont be Dwight Howard.
I agree with you that if they are dedicating their life to it, they better take it seriously. Dwight is someone who should probably not be in the NBA, but has the natural gifts to have automatic "success" in the league at some level.

I guess my thought in the OP was that fans don't like players just playing the game for the game's sake. Fans want the players to dedicate themselves to winning big, for the sake of their team and their city. It is more respected. What I was thinking is that it should be okay for players to desire to just enjoy playing at a high and entertaining level and not be labeled as failures if they don't win big. Perhaps that doesn't fit with the idea of pro sports, but I wanted to see what others thought.

In general, owners are only concerned about revenue, whether it comes with championships or not. If the fans want wins, then the owners want wins. If the fans want shot-jacking, then the owners want shot-jacking.

Do player contracts have a detailed job description, and if so, what does it say?
Living Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 03:55 AM   #55
RidonKs
NBA Legend

this is a great threat, well done op. lots of great angles to take on the issue.

first off it's kind of funny that the word for what these guys do happens to be 'play'. because that's what they're doing. they're playing, which in literally every other usage would be synonymous with 'having fun'... but of course that's unacceptable for the dedicated sports fan.

have some perspective. basketball players can treat their job as a life/death matter all they want, every sport in the world up to and including the olympics is still a total joke in terms of real world impact. who cares who won what which year? the difference in outcome is either THIS city gets jazzed for a week and throws a parade or THAT city gets jazzed for a week and throws a parade.

of course, it should be noted that you don't make it to the NBA unless you take your shit seriously, work at it, and 90% of the time, actually care about how you and your team performs. there's only 400 of these guys or w/e. professional athletes who care about winning are self-selecting because that's part of what drives you to further success.

but i also think there are pros who don't put much stake into winning. they may put on a face for the media or for fans because they know what people expect of them, but that doesn't mean every guy has a kobe-level drive to WIN WIN WIN deep down within them.

and honestly who fking cares? does it mean they should be thrown out of the league? of course not. they aren't there because 'they care', they're there BECAUSE THEY'RE GOOD. and even if they don't give two shits about the final tally of any game, they worked hard enough to be good enough to play in the league... so they're playing in the league.

athletes get paid for the same reason anybody at any job in the world gets paid; they perform their duties at an acceptable level. good enough. the only difference in sports is that the bar happens to be unbelievably higher. but that's it.

so to answer the question, of course not. the only obligation is playing to the satisfaction of the coach, gm, and through proxy, the owner of the team.

another interesting aspect is how most fans tend to view ring chasing in comparison with showing team loyalty. i know i value the latter way more and with good reason. winning can be cheapened. and i can therefore deduce from that conflict that winning isn't the absolute be all end all barometer of anything, sports related or otherwise.
RidonKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:02 AM   #56
BoutPractice
I'll pass

NBA players aren't "obligated" to do anything. They certainly have no obligation to the fans.
If they want to remain NBA players, they'd better fulfill their contract, but that's about it.

It's all a question of will, not obligation.
Ultimately, those who take the harder route and put extra pressure on themselves to win end up enjoying themselves a lot more when the reward comes than those who were just along for the ride, but it's their decision to make.
BoutPractice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:18 AM   #57
Svendiggity
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Rather than using the OP's confusing definition, lets just say a very talented players who don't put basketball as one of his priority. It's just a mean to get money and it's fun.

Someone who chose to spend holidays with his children instead of training and getting better. Someone who attend their wife's delivering their baby instead of playing in the playoff. Someone who polish their shot because they don't wanna bang bodies in the paint due to more risk of injury thus endangering his source of income.

I get what you're saying about training. But you don't have to be skilled at something to compete hard. Your children and fans are watching you every night, so don't create a negative image of man for them to see. By being a wuss, you have to understand that can impact more than just your life. People are emulating you.
Svendiggity is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: