Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 PM   #31
alleykat
High school junior varsity star

alleykat has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: NBA players obligated to "try" to win championships? Can players play for fun?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
I was lightweight agreeing with you when I made that comment.

What's funny is this show's how stupid people really are. They will pay for billion dollar stadiums, and then be emotionally and economically impacted by something they have no control over. I think the OP is asking why winning matters so much in the emotional sense? If it's all about economic growth, then there are plenty of avenues beyond a winning sports teams to go about.

Only one team wins every year, so if winning was everything you wouldn't have half the league. Like anything it's a balance.

ahhh okay ic ic, and ya i agree....makes me think of cleveland cavs so much..
alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #32
Living Being
Entity of Existence

Living Being has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: NBA players obligated to "try" to win championships? Can players play for fun?

Quote:

What's funny is this show's how stupid people really are. They will pay for billion dollar stadiums, and then be emotionally and economically impacted by something they have no control over. I think the OP is asking why winning matters so much in the emotional sense? If it's all about economic growth, then there are plenty of avenues beyond a winning sports teams to go about it.

Only one team wins every year, so if winning was everything you wouldn't have half the league. Like anything it's a balance.
Living Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #33
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleykat
ironic. it's not an era of anybody unless they win....so

So should we call it the Dirk era? The Celtic era? The Chauncey era?

Nope, the Lebron era fits perfectly considering in his own words " championships don't define a career" (odd considering he jumped ship to increase his chances ten fold at a chip..)

But mostly it stems from his fans claiming for 6+ years that "winning isn't everything" to help themselves cope with the possibility of Bron never winning a championship.

Back in his Cleveland days once they lost a series it was always "who cares if they lost did you see those stats????"

This is an era where a players actively think about FG% during games, don't take last second shots in the 1st 2nd & 3rd if its more than likely they'll miss, its an era where players don't take losses personally and find some sort of satisfaction or contempt if their stats look good on paper even after a loss
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:06 PM   #34
iamgine

iamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected posteriamgine is a pretty well-respected poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Being
LeBron got me thinking about this, even though he just won a championship. He received a lot of hate for having his friends hanging around all the time in Cleveland, and for "abandoning" the team before they won a chip. He then left to Miami to apparently have more fun and play with Wade and Bosh. He was, and has always been, a playful goofball on and off the floor. I'm not saying he isn't competitive, but it seems to me that he just loves to have fun and play the game, and happens to be so skilled that he is dominating the league.

It reminded me of myself when I play games. I like the game, but I'm not overly concerned with winning, feel good about winning, or have a desire to show that I'm better than someone. I don't feel good about making someone else feel like they've lost. It's more about the game itself, and the comradery that comes with playing with a team.

Of course players have egos and worry about their image, but that comes with the attention they receive in the first place.

Back to the question at hand: are players obligated to try to win championships? From a business standpoint, teams want success, no doubt, but is the drive always to win? Obviously not all players have the mentality of Jordan or Kobe, to be "the best" or dominate other players.

Is it okay for a player to play the game for fun, while doing their best to achieve a victory, BUT not actually care about winning? Does playing for fun defeat the purpose of a sport?

Of course the game itself is a competition even if you are playing for fun, but should the focus be on fun or competition/victory? Is a team/player robbing their fans of something by playing for fun, if the fans are rooting for victory?
If a player plays for fun while doing their best to achieve a victory, what would be the difference if they play for fun or not? I don't get this part. So you're saying MJ will still perform like MJ...only instead of wanting to win he's doing it for...fun? What?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:09 PM   #35
Quizno
Biyombo Smash!!

Quizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation hereQuizno has an incredible reputation here

they're not being paid to have fun
Quizno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 PM   #36
kenny817
Good High School Starter

kenny817 is popular on this boardkenny817 is popular on this boardkenny817 is popular on this boardkenny817 is popular on this board

It isn't fun until after you win a championship
kenny817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:17 PM   #37
DaSeba5
Heat|Dolphins|Marlins

DaSeba5 has an incredible reputation hereDaSeba5 has an incredible reputation hereDaSeba5 has an incredible reputation hereDaSeba5 has an incredible reputation hereDaSeba5 has an incredible reputation hereDaSeba5 has an incredible reputation hereDaSeba5 has an incredible reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny817
It isn't fun until after you win a championship

This

Plus when it's playoff time, it's time to shut up and play. I hate when players are laughing on the sidelines when they are losing a playoff game.
DaSeba5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:44 PM   #38
Solid Snake
Local High School Star

Solid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong waySolid Snake is starting to rub some people the wrong way

If you play basketball just for fun, you'll get a career like Tmac or Wince Harder's.
Solid Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:55 PM   #39
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

InfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputationInfiniteBaskets has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Most owners don't even have a commitment to winning, if it means spending money. That's obvious with all the salary dumping that goes on.

This is a good point. Are owners obligated to try their "best" when it comes down to winning. Are owners obligated to do whatever it takes to build a winner?

Clearly some if not most owners don't do everything they can do simply to win because otherwise we wouldn't see Chicago letting go of Asik or Korver and we wouldn't see OKC letting go of Harden.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:23 PM   #40
inclinerator
Future NBA G.O.A.T

inclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterinclinerator is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

it;s a business, winning a championship= most money for a franchise
inclinerator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:24 PM   #41
therammingman
National High School Star

therammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputation

ask dwight u fckng ***
therammingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:32 PM   #42
SyRyanYang
Decent college freshman

SyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong waySyRyanYang is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:

What's funny is this show's how stupid people really are. They will pay for billion dollar stadiums, and then be emotionally and economically impacted by something they have no control over. I think the OP is asking why winning matters so much in the emotional sense? If it's all about economic growth, then there are plenty of avenues beyond a winning sports teams to go about it.

Wrong.
Only one team "wins it all" you dumbass
Even the worst team wins some games every year.
SyRyanYang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:34 PM   #43
WolfGang
I hit open 5-footers

WolfGang has not been impressing people

Sadly I think plenty of players don't play hard enough to win championships. I think Rudy Gay is a good example. With his body and talent he should have been a regular all-star by now but he is only a star. Not saying that being a star is bad but if Rudy worked as hard as say, Kobe Jellybean then he would be better.
WolfGang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:48 PM   #44
Lebron23
GOAT Small Forward

Lebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableLebron23 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Yes

But it's very difficult to win an NBA title if you have a $hitty management, small market team, a one dimensional coach, and a cheap owner.
Lebron23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:00 AM   #45
Xsatyr
Samurai Chef

Xsatyr is considered somewhat coolXsatyr is considered somewhat cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solid Snake
If you play basketball just for fun, you'll get a career like Tmac or Wince Harder's.

Tmac did not play for fun; he didn't even have passion for the game.
Xsatyr is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: