Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 04:42 PM   #16
OhNoTimNoSho
Your King

OhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation hereOhNoTimNoSho has an incredible reputation here
Default Re: NBA players obligated to "try" to win championships? Can players play for fun?

WTF is fun? Are you 12?

You think any self respecting man at the end of his career would look back and say to themselves, "Well I had fun!"

God this generation is pathetic
OhNoTimNoSho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:45 PM   #17
Is He Ill
Cowboys & Spurs

Is He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat coolIs He Ill is considered somewhat cool
Default Re: NBA players obligated to "try" to win championships? Can players play for fun?

They don't get paid millions to have fun.
Is He Ill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #18
Living Being
Entity of Existence

Living Being has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
WTF is fun? Are you 12?

You think any self respecting man at the end of his career would look back and say to themselves, "Well I had fun!"

As if playing a "game" is any more respectable than having fun. LMAO
Playing basketball accomplishes what, exactly?
Living Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:01 PM   #19
taucesays
High school junior varsity star

taucesays has no real reputation yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Being

What do you do for a living? These guys entertain millions of people just like a writer or actor.
taucesays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:07 PM   #20
alleykat

alleykat has an OK reputation so far

they get multi-million dollar contracts....they're supposed to accomplish something. this is just like any other job. you work hard, do well, and success is measured by how much you accomplish.

if you wanna have fun, so be it. don't let that get in the way of doing your job..
alleykat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:10 PM   #21
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Norcaliblunt has decent reputationNorcaliblunt has decent reputation

Entertainment is out of control, along with celebrity worship. This win at all cost's alpha dog, look at me I'm so intense, all over a children's game stuff is hilarious. First of all it's a team sport and THE TEAM IS WHAT WINS, not any single individual.
Norcaliblunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:12 PM   #22
STATUTORY
Banned

STATUTORY has decent reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhNoTimNoSho
WTF is fun? Are you 12?

dwight howard says wudup
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:13 PM   #23
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Most owners don't even have a commitment to winning, if it means spending money. That's obvious with all the salary dumping that goes on.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:14 PM   #24
alleykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Living Being

millions of dollars of revenue to the franchise and its owners and shareholders. jobs for coaches and staff, cheerleaders, building upkeep. TV ratings across multiple city programs, publicity, even inner city support programs the team is in. sports retailers, food and beverage industry (think gatorade). olympics and national pride. youth camps and training programs...it extends beyond the court. way beyond the court. if this wasn't a business nobody would be in it.

Last edited by alleykat : 02-23-2013 at 07:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #25
TheMarkMadsen
Know what im sayin?

TheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation hereTheMarkMadsen has an incredible reputation here

Because their bosses pay them millions of dollars for the sole purpose of achieving the highest level of success..thus creating revenue?

That'd be like working at Sony and saying " why are we sweating Nintendo & Microsoft? Do we really need to compete against them?"

I swear this Lebron era of "winnig isn't everything" is disgusting. It used to be if you lost, no matter how good your stats were they didn't mean shiit, because winning was the ultimate goal.
TheMarkMadsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 07:16 PM   #26
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleykat
millions of dollars of revenue to the franchise and its owners and shareholders. jobs for coaches and staff, cheerleaders, building upkeep. TV ratings across multiple city programs, publicity, even inner city support programs the team is in. sports retailers, food and beverage industry (think gatorade). olympics and national pride. it extends beyond the court. way beyond the court

These teams come in and expect tax payers to build their freaking stadiums. Lol.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:19 PM   #27
alleykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norcaliblunt
These teams come in and expect tax payers to build their freaking stadiums. Lol.

then it will be the taxpayers that are impacted, meaning players have a responsibility to tax payers as well...
still beyond the court.

Last edited by alleykat : 02-23-2013 at 07:21 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 07:23 PM   #28
alleykat

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
Because their bosses pay them millions of dollars for the sole purpose of achieving the highest level of success..thus creating revenue?

That'd be like working at Sony and saying " why are we sweating Nintendo & Microsoft? Do we really need to compete against them?"

I swear this Lebron era of "winnig isn't everything" is disgusting. It used to be if you lost, no matter how good your stats were they didn't mean shiit, because winning was the ultimate goal.

ironic. it's not an era of anybody unless they win....so
Old 02-23-2013, 07:51 PM   #29
Living Being
Entity of Existence

Living Being has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen

That's what I'm asking, so I appreciate your answer.
I'm not saying they shouldn't care about winning.

Most people are competitive in one way or another, and pride is always at stake, so I think most people in general care about winning. I know that is what drives success and improvement in general. I think sports in general represent individualistic society and it's "self-centered" way of thinking. It's about the success of a few being favored over the success of the many.

It would be different if sports teams were actually facing a real threat, or a real evil worth defeating, as opposed to other regular people who you have no reason to defeat other than "being the best" and being worshipped by millions. The fact that this is the norm is very telling of the world we live in.
Living Being is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:02 PM   #30
Norcaliblunt
Local High School Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleykat
then it will be the taxpayers that are impacted, meaning players have a responsibility to tax payers as well...
still beyond the court.

I was lightweight agreeing with you when I made that comment.

What's funny is this show's how stupid people really are. They will pay for billion dollar stadiums, and then be emotionally and economically impacted by something they have no control over. I think the OP is asking why winning matters so much in the emotional sense? If it's all about economic growth, then there are plenty of avenues beyond a winning sports teams to go about it.

Only one team wins every year, so if winning was everything you wouldn't have half the league. Like anything it's a balance.

Last edited by Norcaliblunt : 02-23-2013 at 08:05 PM.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: