Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-23-2013, 07:35 AM   #1
Shepseskaf
Old School

Shepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputationShepseskaf has a terrific reputation
Default Should the Pacers leave Indiana?

It seems that some people in Indianapolis will continue to punish the Pacers forever because of the team's role in the 'Malice in the Palace' back in 2004.

Despite having one of the best records in the East, home attendance is fifth from the bottom, above only NO, Sac, Milw, and Phx.

The lack of local support has been addressed in a number of media venues, most recently on The Herd.

I've read some of the comments posted to the Indianapolis Star newspaper, and it appears that a sizable number of ex-fans don't ever plan to support the team again.

If the Pacers make a good playoff run this year, and the fan support still lags behind, should plans be made to move the team? Possible destinations?
Shepseskaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:10 AM   #2
Haymaker
Great college starter

Haymaker has decent reputationHaymaker has decent reputation
Default Re: Should the Pacers leave Indiana?

If Kings stay in Sac, bring the Pacers to Seattle.
Haymaker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 08:50 AM   #3
HorryIsMyMVP
Good college starter

HorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputationHorryIsMyMVP has a bad reputation

No one cares about malice in the palace. Pacers are a boring team.
HorryIsMyMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #4
QuebecBaller
Next Great White Hope

QuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected posterQuebecBaller is a pretty well-respected poster

Seattle or Vancouver
QuebecBaller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:27 AM   #5
3peated
High School Varsity 6th Man

3peated has an OK reputation so far

bring pacers to VA, I'll denounce my lakers and support my local team!
3peated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:58 AM   #6
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

INDY is BBALL

I was in Indy one time , watched a game, and the fans are some of the best in the country

/
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:02 AM   #7
Scholar
Gawdbe GOATsol Nashty

Scholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableScholar is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I've been wanting to address this issue for about a week now, but I just didn't get around to posting about it.

On the ESPN radio show The Herd, the host Colin Cowherd suggested that the reason why the Pacers have one of the lowest home-game attendances in the NBA is "because of race. There's no other explanation why people don't go to Pacers games."
Cowherd even read e-mails and posts from his Facebook page made by Indianapolis residents where fans were calling the Pacers' players "thugs," even though nobody on the current Pacers roster has been arrested for any criminal activities.

Some people cite that ticket prices are keeping them away from Pacers' games, but I just looked up the prices of Pacers' home game tickets on various websites. Here are some of the starting prices for Pacers' home games on the ticket brokering website StubHub:

vs. the GS Warriors (02/26/13): starting @ $0.70/ticket!!!

vs. the Clippers (02/28/13): tickets starting as low as $2.95/ticket.

Just look at the prices here for the rest of their home games: http://www.stubhub.com/indiana-pacers-tickets/

They may be the cheap seats, but even the lower level seats start off around $20 for most of the games.

The Pacers even have a deal for Tuesday games where "for $28, you can get a ticket to any Tuesday home game and a second one free for a friend or family member. Or, you can upgrade to the Lower Level for only $50 more."

You can be working a minimum wage job and still make enough to buy tickets to the Pacers' games.

I am 100% in support of Colin's assertion that racism is the primary factor for the Indiana Pacers having low attendance. It's the middle of America, where the majority of residents are white. Some of them claim that basketball is boring, which is their opinion, but what else is there to do in Indiana? You're telling me that for just a few bucks, maybe as low as $20 for a group of friends to attend a game together, Pacers' games aren't worth it? What else could you possibly be doing in Indiana with your free time?
Scholar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 AM   #8
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar

I am 100% in support of Colin's assertion that racism is the primary factor for the Indiana Pacers having low attendance. It's the middle of America, where the majority of residents are white. Some of them claim that basketball is boring, which is their opinion, but what else is there to do in Indiana? You're telling me that for just a few bucks, maybe as low as $20 for a group of friends to attend a game together, Pacers' games aren't worth it? What else could you possibly be doing in Indiana with your free time?

Seriously? Blaming racism for their low attendance?

Atlanta's attendance is just as bad and they are a majority black city, what's their problem?..

More likely they are low market teams with little star power. I'm sure Indy sells out quite nicely when the Heat or Lakers come to town..
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:15 AM   #9
andremiller07
#Quincy Acy Bandwagon

andremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation hereandremiller07 has an incredible reputation here

I heard Memphis as well is not doing as well with fans due to high tickets prices compared to all the other things they could do see like the Memphis Tigers where the tickets are a lot cheaper. I would say its a ticket thing over a race thing.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:24 AM   #10
ispin69
Banned

ispin69 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryispin69 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryispin69 posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

The Malice In The Palace shouldn't be reflective on their team, it was solely Ron Artest and detroit fans.
ispin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:32 AM   #11
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

how bout we just have the heat in miami, lakers in los angeles, and just rotate the ither 28 teams amongst another 35/40 cities? sounds good?
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:35 AM   #12
dzav323
OG Jason Smith

dzav323 has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3peated
bring pacers to VA, I'll denounce my lakers and support my local team!
Lakers fan from VA??? Seems Legit
dzav323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:43 AM   #13
Poetry
High School JV MVP

Poetry has decent reputationPoetry has decent reputation

I'm not for a move, but if they absolutely had to, i'd want them in Chicago.
Poetry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 10:59 AM   #14
stephanieg
College star

stephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected posterstephanieg is a pretty well-respected poster

Even when we went to the finals attendance wasn't that great.

Anecdotal, but for all the talk about Indy being "basketball country" I rarely find people who follow the NBA. Mostly football. When I strike up a convo with strangers about the Pacers they take a couple seconds to register that oh yeah, we have a basketball team. More follow college ball.
stephanieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:12 AM   #15
goldenryan
I'm Back

goldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this boardgoldenryan is popular on this board

It's the birthplace of basketball and IMO the best arena in the league. Not gonna happen OP.
goldenryan is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: