Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Utah Jazz Forum

Utah Jazz Forum Utah Jazz forum - Utah Jazz message board

Old 06-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #31
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Xiao Yao You has an OK reputation so far
Default Re: PG Spot

Asked how he performed in Utah, vice president of player personnel Walt Perrin said, "I thought he fought through some things. He struggled a little bit early, but he finished strong.

"He’s been to quite a few workouts, and he’s been away from home for a long time. I’m sure he’s getting a little bit homesick and probably a little tired. But, again, he fought through things and had a pretty good workout."

Last season for Braunschweig of the German Basketball League, Schroeder averaged 11.9 points and 3.3 assists in 24.7 minutes.

"He’s got the ability to get into the paint — get to the basket," Perrin said. "He’s got good explosiveness off the dribble. … He’s got a lot of things he has to learn. But he’s got athletic skills."

In his workouts, Schroeder has noticed a difference between German League and NBA basketball — one he thinks will accelerate his growth as a player.

"In Europe, you play set plays all the time," he said. "In the NBA, you play transition. I think the NBA fits me better than Europe."

Along with Miami’s Shane Larkin, Schroeder is the most highly regarded point guard who has worked out for the Jazz so far. He knows Utah, without a point guard under contract for next season, could be the right place for him.

"It’s a great situation for point guards," Schroeder said. "... You can play right away, I think."
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2013, 11:35 AM   #32
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Perrin and the Jazz brain trust certainly saw some things from Schroeder that impressed them — as well as some things that the young man needs to improve upon.

“He’s got the ability to get to the deep paint, as we call it, get to the basket,” Perrin said. “He’s got good explosiveness off the dribble coming around the wing. He’s able to get into the paint and he’s able to pass to open guys if somebody’s stopping him.

“He’s got a lot of things he’s got to learn and pick up and get better at, but he’s got athletic skills that a lot of guys we don’t see over here (have).

“There’s a lot of things I think he needs to work on,” Perrin said. “I think that (finishing at the rim) is one of them and that comes from getting a little bit stronger, understanding probably better angles on how to finish, especially against the big guys over here. I think he’s got to get a little bit more discipline and a lot of focus defensively, continue to work on his shots and ball handling.”

Schroeder’s smallish size could definitely work against him on draft day. All in all, though, he’s a guy who could wind up being in a Jazz uniform next season.

“With his quickness and with his speed, which you can’t teach, yeah, he has some upside,” Perrin said. “The good thing about Dennis is he has played against men in the German pro league. It’s not like some of the college guys we have coming out into the draft who haven’t played against men. He has played against men.

"So it’s a little tougher in terms of who he’s playing against and how he’s playing over in Germany than the guys coming out collegiately this year.”
Old 06-10-2013, 09:47 PM   #33
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Rumors persist that Schroeder has a promise, and our sources have indicated that Boston is the team that has promised him. Obviously the team already has Rondo, but no one is expecting most of the players from this draft to instantly become starters. Schroeder used a tremendous week in Portland at the Hoop Summit in practices and the game to skyrocket up team's draft boards

Old 06-12-2013, 01:18 AM   #34
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

With two weeks left before the NBA Draft, the Utah Jazz will take a look at one of the top point guard prospects available Wednesday when they work out Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum.

The 6-foot-3 McCollum will work out with Weber State guard Scott Bamforth and is the highest-profile player to participate in a pre-draft workout with the Jazz. The athletic guard, who frequently draws comparisons to Rookie of the Year Damian Lillard, averaged 25.9 points and 5 rebounds in 11 games before missing the rest of the season with a broken foot. McCollum is generally regarded as the No. 2 point guard prospect in the draft, behind Michigan’s Trey Burke.

The Jazz do not have a point guard under contract for next season.

Bamforth, a 6-foot-2 guard from Albuquerque, averaged 14.8 points as a senior with the Wildcats.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:48 AM   #35
el gringos
Decent college freshman

el gringos is starting to rub some people the wrong way

I think there is more of a chance of trey Burke being available at 14 than mcCollum. I don't understand how anybody could take Burke over mcCollum or how a team could take Burke before any of the big name c's

Maybe Burke doesn't last all the way to 14- but I would bet he "slides" and doesn't go anywhere near top 5
el gringos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2013, 08:21 AM   #36
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Nobody has Burke falling.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:22 AM   #37
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Larkin's worked out for the Celtics, Bucks, Jazz and Suns. He's got the 76ers and Mavericks this week. From the sound of things, it looks like his best workout might have been in Utah, though sources say the Bucks are very high on him at No. 15. That No. 14-16 range seems about right for Larkin. If he isn't taken there, the next team that really needs a point guard is the Jazz again at No. 21 (assuming they don't take a point guard at No. 14).

ESPN.com

Old 06-13-2013, 05:28 PM   #38
El Kabong
Where Eagles Dare

El Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterEl Kabong is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

McCollum sounded interested in playing for the Jazz, although that could just be him playing the game. Still, he won't be around when the Jazz draft, so I suppose he didn't have to say anything if he didn't want to.
El Kabong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 12:13 AM   #39
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

They all seem to say nice things, Probably do everywhere but it is obvious that there's a big opportunity in Utah.
Old 06-18-2013, 11:32 AM   #40
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Continuing a string of prospect evaluations for the June 27 NBA Draft, the Jazz will hold two sessions again Tuesday at Zions Bank Basketball Center. The first session will include projected lottery pick Syracuse guard Michael Carter-Williams (6-5, 184) and former Layton Academy/Weber State guard B.J. Porter (6-3, 190) of Azusa Pacific.

Deseret News

The second workout will include six players: Miami guard Durand Scott (6-5, 203), Kansas guard Elijah Johnson (6-4, 195), Evansville guard/forward Colt Ryan (6-5, 200), Syracuse guard James Southerland (6-8, 210), Kentucky guard Archie Goodwin (6-4, 198) and Princeton forward Trent Lockett (6-7, 225).

Deseret News

I think Wiliams is the last of the top pg's to work out for them other than Burke who I doubt will work out for them.
Old 06-18-2013, 08:06 PM   #41
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

After another pre-draft workout Tuesday morning, vice president of player personnel Walt Perrin said he does not expect Michigan’s Trey Burke to audition for the Jazz. Burke is the top-rated point guard in the draft whose advisors obviously don’t think he’s going to be available to Utah, which owns the 14th and 21st picks in the first round. "I’ve been in communication with his people," Perrin said. "They’ve kind of drawn the line on how many workouts they are going to do. ... I don’t think we’ll get him in."

Salt Lake Tribune

Carter-Williams participated in Tuesday’s workout. He averaged 11.9 points and 7.3 assists last season, but he shot only 29 percent from 3-point line. "He sees the court and passes the ball well," Perrin said. "... We know it’s a work in progress. For the most part, players in this draft have a few holes to work on. Michael’s is shooting and getting a little stronger." Carter-Williams, who stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 184 pounds, described his workout in Utah as "... tiring. The altitude is real up here. But it was good overall. I have fun. I think I did pretty well. I enjoyed it."

Salt Lake Tribune
Old 06-19-2013, 01:19 AM   #42
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

McCollum is long. He could definitely play the 2 with that length,
Old 06-19-2013, 01:22 AM   #43
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Syrcause’s Michael Carter-Williams, a 6-foot-5, 184-pound point guard, is generally considered the third-best point guard in the NBA draft by most experts, behind Michigan’s Trey Burke and Lehigh’s C.J. McCollum.
While Burke and McCollum will both likely be gone before the Jazz first pick at No. 14 overall, Carter-Williams might still be available. Experts believe he'll go somewhere between No. 8 and No. 14, meaning he could end up in Utah.

Meanwhile, the Jazz could use one of their latter picks — at No. 21 or No. 46 — to select Kentucky’s Archie Goodwin, a highly touted high school star who played just one year for the Wildcats.

Both players impressed Walt Perrin, Utah’s vice president of player personnel, during the Jazz's pre-draft workouts Tuesday.

“Absolute great kid,’’ Perrin said of Carter-Williams, a communications major at Syracuse. “He’s well-spoken ... coming from one of the highest-rated communication schools in America.’’

Media members who spoke with Carter-Williams afterward were also impressed with his communication skills. As for his on-court abilities, Perrin said it was a mixed bag.

“On the court we (already) knew his skills. He was affected by the altitude today. He definitely needs to be in better shape and learn to shoot a little bit better,'' he said. "He’s so long and so big for a point guard position. He passes the ball, sees the court. He’s going to be a good player.’’

Carter-Williams worked out with just one other player, former Layton Christian guard B.J. Porter, who came back for a second-straight day to play against Carter-Williams, while six players worked out in a second session. Perrin said Carter-Williams’ agent requested the individual workout and that the Jazz abide by such requests.

Carter-Williams’ size — he calls himself "a late bloomer" — is a plus and would help the Jazz defensively, where they aim to get better, according to Perrin. He also said Carter-Williams can improve his shooting, which was only 43.1 percent last year on 11.9 points per game.

“He’s willing to improve and that’s the most important thing,’’ he said. “He definitely needs to improve his jump shot. He’s got a ways to go, but I think he’ll improve it. We know it’s a work in progress. The players in this year’s draft have a few holes they need to work on. With Michael Carter it’s his shooting and getting a little stronger.’’

Shooting is also Goodwin’s biggest weakness, although he did beat Jazz coach Tyrone Corbin in a shooting contest at the end of his workout. However, he has other parts to his game that appeal to the Jazz.

“He can really get to the basket,’’ Perrin said. “He puts a lot of pressure on the defense going to the basket. He’s like Michael Carter — he’s going to really have to improve his shooting. But he’s so quick with his first step that he can get by people and put pressure on the defense as an athlete.’’
Goodwin, who was Mr. Basketball in Arkansas two years ago, believes he’ll be taken in the first round, but some mock drafts have him in the middle of the second round, which might give the Jazz a chance to draft him at No. 46.

Carter-Williams has worked out for Phoenix, New Orleans, Dallas, Sacramento and will be going to Orlando and Detroit. All of those teams pick ahead of the Jazz. Goodwin has already worked out for 14 teams and has three more visits left.

Also working out for the Jazz on Tuesday were Evansville forward Ryan Colt, Kansas guard Elijah Johnson, Marquette forward Trent Lockett, Miami guard Scott Durand and Syracuse guard James Southerland.
Another group of players will work out for the Jazz on Wednesday.
Old 06-19-2013, 01:23 AM   #44
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Carter-Williams participated in Tuesday’s workout. He averaged 11.9 points and 7.3 assists last season, but he shot only 29 percent from 3-point line.

"He sees the court and passes the ball well," Perrin said. "... We know it’s a work in progress. For the most part, players in this draft have a few holes to work on. Michael’s is shooting and getting a little stronger."

Carter-Williams, who stands 6-foot-5 and weighs 184 pounds, described his workout in Utah as "... tiring. The altitude is real up here. But it was good overall. I have fun. I think I did pretty well. I enjoyed it."

Carter-Williams probably won’t be available when the Jazz pick in the first round, but he likely worked out for them because Utah won’t have a point guard under contract after July 1.

If he slips to No. 14, the Jazz are intriguing to him.

"It would be a good spot for me to come in, play right away and chase some of my dreams." Carter-Williams said. "I think I could establish myself as a leader on the team. I wouldn’t have [much] pressure because they don’t have too many veterans. So it would be a great place for me."
Old 06-23-2013, 12:54 AM   #45
Xiao Yao You
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Asked if he would be surprised if Thursday came and went without the Jazz acquiring a point guard, through one method or another, general manager Dennis Lindsey said, "Not at all."

Lindsey said the Jazz won’t draft a point guard simply to check that off their "to-do" list.

"I think the risk is having someone that is undertalented or doesn’t fit or is a good player but is overvalued," he said.

Unacceptable! Ther's no excuse for them not having a young pg on the team the past two years to at least be developing. They need to have one this season.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: