Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-12-2013, 02:21 AM   #1
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Lakers try to put drama behind them as they return from long trip

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basket...,4833651.story

Quote:
By Eric Pincus, Los Angeles Times
February 12, 2013
The Lakers returned home, weary after their longest trip of the season. But despite losses at Phoenix, Boston and Miami, the team pulled out four wins in seven games.

"We're playing better. We're playing smarter," Kobe Bryant said Monday.

Dwight Howard went down on the first stop of the trip in Phoenix, aggravating the torn labrum in his right shoulder. The Lakers (24-28) won three straight without him, then Pau Gasol was lost for six to eight weeks because of a foot injury.

"Every time we're playing well we find a rhythm of how we want to go about things it seems like we get hit with another injury," Bryant said. "Now we need to find another way to go about it. It's a moving target right now."

They seem to be clicking better. the right passes are happening, the right movements, etc and so forth. Hopefully this isn't some sort of fluke.

Quote:
Howard's shoulder

Howard said he's still struggling with his right shoulder after playing 41 minutes against Miami on Sunday.

"I was in a lot of pain after the game," he said. "I'll just try to play through it."

What people keep arguing is that Dwight Howard is worried about his career if this injury becomes a problem in the future. What he doesn't seem to realize, is if he gives it 100% this season, he's in for a big pay day with us, and for a long time. Unless of course he doesn't care about being here and just wants to go else where. Its not a valid concern in my opinion. Dwight is always going to be wanted, even after his idiocy has been exposed as a basketball player in the big stage.

Quote:
Speaking up

If there was one thing the Lakers did agree on, it's that too much was being said publicly by them.

"We have a circus around us most of the time," Coach Mike D'Antoni said. "Things should be kept in-house, but we haven't mastered that trick yet."

Steve Nash also downplayed a brief, on-court incident Sunday when he and Howard argued over a poorly executed play.

I noticed that play against the heat. Nash was doubled under the basket, but the guard rotated on howard and stayed in front of him. Howard proceeded to jump up and down with his hands up as if he was open, but he wasn't. Nash told him to move to the left next time.

Thats my issue with Dwight, not a smart player, low IQ, no understanding of spacing. Thats why I have a problem with super athletic guys. In high school they can get away with their God given gift, but they never get to learn the actual game until they get exposed on a higher level. Now with Nash and Kobe leading the way, hopefully this guy can learn a thing or two.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: Lakers try to put drama behind them as they return from long trip

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak

Thats my issue with Dwight, not a smart player, low IQ, no understanding of spacing. Thats why I have a problem with super athletic guys. In high school they can get away with their God given gift, but they never get to learn the actual game until they get exposed on a higher level. Now with Nash and Kobe leading the way, hopefully this guy can learn a thing or two.

This is exactly why I like that athletes need to spend a year in college. It should really be two. There's so many guys who come into college with a ton of hype and then their weaknesses are shown. Even this year, look at Nerlens Noel. He was hyped as the next Anthony Davis. He definitely isn't on that level. He has a lot of work to do.

As for the Lakers putting the drama behind them, I'm not sure it will happen. This coach doesn't have the ability to manage these types of egos. The media around the Lakers is unlike anything he's ever dealt with, even in NY. As long as this team is mediocre there's going to be a lot of drama and press attention.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 08:51 PM   #3
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

DKLaker has not been impressing people

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
This is exactly why I like that athletes need to spend a year in college. It should really be two. There's so many guys who come into college with a ton of hype and then their weaknesses are shown. Even this year, look at Nerlens Noel. He was hyped as the next Anthony Davis. He definitely isn't on that level. He has a lot of work to do.

As for the Lakers putting the drama behind them, I'm not sure it will happen. This coach doesn't have the ability to manage these types of egos. The media around the Lakers is unlike anything he's ever dealt with, even in NY. As long as this team is mediocre there's going to be a lot of drama and press attention.

I completely hear you on this. The problem is that these highest level recruits get to call their own shots, they TELL the coach they will only go to their college if they get to do things their own way. They only care about their stats and being showcased to be a lottery pick......so they are no longer being taught anything in that 1 year and even 2 years wouldn't change that. Notice that you see guys leaving Duke, North Carolina and other major programs if they don't get their way, this didn't happen in the past. I blame ESPN for making it all about individual play and over hyping high school recruits.
I'm dealing now with a ton of high school kids, high level players who are Juniors, and their parents who are already making demands to top colleges.
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
dd24
College superstar

dd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdd24 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
I completely hear you on this. The problem is that these highest level recruits get to call their own shots, they TELL the coach they will only go to their college if they get to do things their own way. They only care about their stats and being showcased to be a lottery pick......so they are no longer being taught anything in that 1 year and even 2 years wouldn't change that. Notice that you see guys leaving Duke, North Carolina and other major programs if they don't get their way, this didn't happen in the past. I blame ESPN for making it all about individual play and over hyping high school recruits.
I'm dealing now with a ton of high school kids, high level players who are Juniors, and their parents who are already making demands to top colleges.

True, but it also depends on the college coach. What Calipari did last year with all those top recruits was amazing. They were unselfish, bought into the system, and played together. It would've been easy for a guy like Davis to complain about not getting the ball enough. He wasn't the guy who took the most shots on the team. I'm a Big 10 guy, and I look at teams like Michigan & Indiana and see those guys actually playing together too. What Izzo has done with MSU has always been amazing. But of course there's some coaches who are the opposite. They just promise the kids whatever they want and it's just a one & done thing. Two years in college would be better at getting that out of the game.

The High School grassroots game is so corrupt it's not even funny, when it comes to top recruits. Those kids are getting paid in high school to go to certain schools and play on certain AAU teams with other good players. It's amazing how those shoe companies like to try to brainwash kids starting about when they reach the 7th grade. Read the book "Play Their Hearts Out". It's about grassroots basketball and has a strong focus on what happens here in SoCal. Very interesting.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 09:50 PM   #5
DKLaker

Quote:
True, but it also depends on the college coach. What Calipari did last year with all those top recruits was amazing. They were unselfish, bought into the system, and played together. It would've been easy for a guy like Davis to complain about not getting the ball enough. He wasn't the guy who took the most shots on the team. I'm a Big 10 guy, and I look at teams like Michigan & Indiana and see those guys actually playing together too. What Izzo has done with MSU has always been amazing. But of course there's some coaches who are the opposite. They just promise the kids whatever they want and it's just a one & done thing. Two years in college would be better at getting that out of the game.

The High School grassroots game is so corrupt it's not even funny, when it comes to top recruits. Those kids are getting paid in high school to go to certain schools and play on certain AAU teams with other good players. It's amazing how those shoe companies like to try to brainwash kids starting about when they reach the 7th grade. Read the book "Play Their Hearts Out". It's about grassroots basketball and has a strong focus on what happens here in SoCal. Very interesting.

Thanks, I am definitely going to read that book.
Yeah, I know all about players being paid, it's a disgrace to the game and fair competition.
3 years ago one of my local schools, Taft Woodland Hills, had a starting 5 who each came from different states.....and I mean east coast states. There is no way that is just an accident. I don't want to name the coach but he left after that season and got paid huge money at another school.

Nike is a MAJOR culprit in all lower level sports, but they also do some very good things (to be fair). I really don't want to get into what is going on in current basketball programs....but things are at the most corrupt level ever.
Old 02-13-2013, 06:18 AM   #6
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

lakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterlakerfreak is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:

One of the things that Phil Jackson spoiled us on was how he handled situations without putting his foot too deep into issues.

When problems happened, he simply went back to the X's and O's. On holidays, he gave players books. He did whatever he needed to do to get his players motivated. He never solved Shaq and Kobe's problems, but he kinda swept it under the rug for a little bit and got them focused enough for a little bit.

As far as the drama nowadays, what can D'Antoni do? He can't tell Kobe to shut up. Kobe will quickly turn on him and not give it his best. He can't tell Dwight to Man up. Dwight will leave los angeles.

D'Antoni is in a tricky situation simply because he's in a situation where he not only has to win, but he has to keep everyone happy.

Phil Jackson's book "the last season" explains a lot of what happened when he had to deal with Kobe. There was no right answer. There wasn't any answer really. He had to be creative about it. Mike Brown had to kiss Kobe's ass to the point of letting him coach when Kobe was sitting out.

What does anyone do in that situation?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:11 PM   #7
DKLaker

Quote:
One of the things that Phil Jackson spoiled us on was how he handled situations without putting his foot too deep into issues.

When problems happened, he simply went back to the X's and O's. On holidays, he gave players books. He did whatever he needed to do to get his players motivated. He never solved Shaq and Kobe's problems, but he kinda swept it under the rug for a little bit and got them focused enough for a little bit.

As far as the drama nowadays, what can D'Antoni do? He can't tell Kobe to shut up. Kobe will quickly turn on him and not give it his best. He can't tell Dwight to Man up. Dwight will leave los angeles.

D'Antoni is in a tricky situation simply because he's in a situation where he not only has to win, but he has to keep everyone happy.

Phil Jackson's book "the last season" explains a lot of what happened when he had to deal with Kobe. There was no right answer. There wasn't any answer really. He had to be creative about it. Mike Brown had to kiss Kobe's ass to the point of letting him coach when Kobe was sitting out.

What does anyone do in that situation?

This was indeed the genius of Phil Jackson, not strategic moves, it was managing egos.

What I feel 'Antoni should do is first try psychology with Kobe, I would tell him that his talking is distracting the team and hurting his own play. I would remind him that he is Kobe Bryant, the guy who took Smush and Kwame to the playoffs and almost upset the Suns, the guy who played without Bynum for the first 2 of the last 3 finals years. That he was making it seem like he needed Howard, begging for him as if he were nothing without him.
Of course this is all BS but Kobe does have a big ego and if he feels like he is being perceived as begging he will stop it. May not work but I'd give it a try.....if that didn't work you'd have to Man Up and really piss Kobe off real bad to the point he is so pissed off at you that he would forget about Dwight...lol.

What to do with Dwight??? That is much tougher, you would have to really get a feel for what the guy cares about if anything at all. The only way to go is to go with the Legacy issue, the Hall Of Fame issue, the retired number issue, the status of champion issue. The huge problem with that angle is that 'Antoni is using Howard as an afterthought, not as a true center, not as an all-star, not as a great......this is what has caused the problem in the first place.
Old 02-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #8
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKLaker
This was indeed the genius of Phil Jackson, not strategic moves, it was managing egos.

What I feel 'Antoni should do is first try psychology with Kobe, I would tell him that his talking is distracting the team and hurting his own play. I would remind him that he is Kobe Bryant, the guy who took Smush and Kwame to the playoffs and almost upset the Suns, the guy who played without Bynum for the first 2 of the last 3 finals years. That he was making it seem like he needed Howard, begging for him as if he were nothing without him.
Of course this is all BS but Kobe does have a big ego and if he feels like he is being perceived as begging he will stop it. May not work but I'd give it a try.....if that didn't work you'd have to Man Up and really piss Kobe off real bad to the point he is so pissed off at you that he would forget about Dwight...lol.

What to do with Dwight??? That is much tougher, you would have to really get a feel for what the guy cares about if anything at all. The only way to go is to go with the Legacy issue, the Hall Of Fame issue, the retired number issue, the status of champion issue. The huge problem with that angle is that 'Antoni is using Howard as an afterthought, not as a true center, not as an all-star, not as a great......this is what has caused the problem in the first place.

I can see that last part as being the beginning issue that led to Dwight being annoying. I mentioned in another thread that I was very happy with Kobe and Nash and how they both kept looking for Dwight early. Dwight can be the best if he is smart. That might be a long shot, but last game was a good step in the right direction.

Every game has been fluctuating to where I don't know what the problem is anymore. One game Kobe shoots bad shots while others look great. One game Dwight keeps making bone headed mistakes while Kobe is the one keeping us in it. One game D'Antoni's offense is running so smoothly and Jamison and Meeks are having monster games. Its all been inconsistent. I know where you place your blame. I still don't know where to pinpoint the mistake, although Ive been leaning towards Dwight a lot.
Old 02-13-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
DKLaker

Quote:
I can see that last part as being the beginning issue that led to Dwight being annoying. I mentioned in another thread that I was very happy with Kobe and Nash and how they both kept looking for Dwight early. Dwight can be the best if he is smart. That might be a long shot, but last game was a good step in the right direction.

Every game has been fluctuating to where I don't know what the problem is anymore. One game Kobe shoots bad shots while others look great. One game Dwight keeps making bone headed mistakes while Kobe is the one keeping us in it. One game D'Antoni's offense is running so smoothly and Jamison and Meeks are having monster games. Its all been inconsistent. I know where you place your blame. I still don't know where to pinpoint the mistake, although Ive been leaning towards Dwight a lot.

Hmmm.....how good would Steve Nash look if he had a coach who insisted that he post people up? How good would Andrew Bynum look if he was playing in this offense? Just food for thought....but you know what I'm saying
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: