Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > NBA Team Forums > Los Angeles Lakers Forum

Los Angeles Lakers Forum Los Angeles Lakers message board - los angeles lakers fan forum

Old 02-08-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
kkinchen
High school junior varsity star

Default Should we pursue Greg Oden?

With Gasol out should be consider gambling on the super talented yet incredibly fragile Gred Oden. Lou Amundson got waived by the wolves too, and he is a pretty good offensive rebounder. Maybe we should take a look at him too.
kkinchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Default Re: Should we pursue Greg Oden?

We need guys that are going to play well into the coaches system. Louis A is not the type of guy that's going to put up easy quick points like Antawn Jamison does. He is strictly a hustle guy and his job is to clean up messes Which is hypothetically Dwight Howard's job.

Greg Oden is the exact opposite of what coach Mike wants. He is a slow it down post up center and his job is also to play some hard-core defense. Factor in that he's way more injury prone than Andrew Bynum was And is absolutely a 0% guarantee that he would even play at all if we did sign him.
lakerfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 09:34 PM   #3
dd24
College superstar

I don't think Greg Oden would want to look at the Lakers either. This system doesn't fit him at all. Assuming Howard stays, he would always be on the bench. Oden is looking for opportunities with teams that need a C. He's looking at teams like the Cavs, Bobcats, Celtics, Heat, and Spurs. I'm sure one of those teams will gamble on him.
dd24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I don't think Greg Oden would want to look at the Lakers either. This system doesn't fit him at all. Assuming Howard stays, he would always be on the bench. Oden is looking for opportunities with teams that need a C. He's looking at teams like the Cavs, Bobcats, Celtics, Heat, and Spurs. I'm sure one of those teams will gamble on him.
If he ends up on the heat, and gets lucky with health, that could be a very scary team for years. Especially seeing that he would come cheap.
Old 02-09-2013, 12:23 AM   #5
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakerfreak
If he ends up on the heat, and gets lucky with health, that could be a very scary team for years. Especially seeing that he would come cheap.

Exactly what I was thinking. He could grab some rebounds, play some defense, and wouldn't be expected to score a bunch. If he could play 20-25 minutes per game he could really turn things around for himself quick.
Old 02-09-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
NoGunzJustSkillz

word has it oden won't be ready this season.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 04:29 PM   #7
NoGunzJustSkillz

Quote:
We need guys that are going to play well into the coaches system. Louis A is not the type of guy that's going to put up easy quick points like Antawn Jamison does. He is strictly a hustle guy and his job is to clean up messes Which is hypothetically Dwight Howard's job.

Greg Oden is the exact opposite of what coach Mike wants. He is a slow it down post up center and his job is also to play some hard-core defense. Factor in that he's way more injury prone than Andrew Bynum was And is absolutely a 0% guarantee that he would even play at all if we did sign him.
who cares what mike wants. oden won't be ready this season and mike might not be in lala land much longer. it's not my money, so sure, i'd take a gamble on him with a team option for the 3rd year.
NoGunzJustSkillz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #8
tamaraw08
Decent college freshman

What about kenyon martin? Is he available? Is he healthy?
tamaraw08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2013, 08:05 PM   #9
dd24
College superstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08

He won't sign for the minimum.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:47 AM   #10
lakerfreak
The go-to-guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoGunzJustSkillz
who cares what mike wants. oden won't be ready this season and mike might not be in lala land much longer. it's not my money, so sure, i'd take a gamble on him with a team option for the 3rd year.

On the contrary, other players have been doing good great job in Dantoni's system. Even gasol has been doing a great job when he started at center. If this season does not go well, Dwight Howard will leave, But everyone on this team seems to be on the same page as the coach is. Not to mention he is guaranteed locked in if the Lakers still want him. Since dantoni has slowed down his offense, the defense improved and the offense consists of a lot of passing before taking a good shot. It's good basketball to watch.

You can't just throw in players on a team, especially if it won't work on paper. Coach is already struggling with implementing Dwight into the system. Now you're asking him to randomly make it work with two big men, one who hasn't played for God knows how long. Add his injury history to that and now you don't even know if you'll even get to see the dude play at all.

It MIGHT work with a team like Miami because their center positions don't need much learning other than to grab rebounds and play defense. That is also IF he gets a chance before getting hurt. So since we already have Dwight doing that, where does oden fit here?
Old 02-13-2013, 01:20 PM   #11
DKLaker
NBA sixth man of the year

Quote:
On the contrary, other players have been doing good great job in Dantoni's system. Even gasol has been doing a great job when he started at center. If this season does not go well, Dwight Howard will leave, But everyone on this team seems to be on the same page as the coach is. Not to mention he is guaranteed locked in if the Lakers still want him. Since dantoni has slowed down his offense, the defense improved and the offense consists of a lot of passing before taking a good shot. It's good basketball to watch.

You can't just throw in players on a team, especially if it won't work on paper. Coach is already struggling with implementing Dwight into the system. Now you're asking him to randomly make it work with two big men, one who hasn't played for God knows how long. Add his injury history to that and now you don't even know if you'll even get to see the dude play at all.

It MIGHT work with a team like Miami because their center positions don't need much learning other than to grab rebounds and play defense. That is also IF he gets a chance before getting hurt. So since we already have Dwight doing that, where does oden fit here?

I'm glad that you are enjoying the games and feel that is now "Good Basketball".

I completely disagree with the quality of what it is, I think it is still horrible......but hey, I don't want everyone to be unhappy, so enjoy
DKLaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 01:24 PM   #12
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaraw08

I've wanted KMart since before the season started but it's pointless now.
There are no trades that would fix this team....none.
You guys already know where I place the blame.
Old 02-13-2013, 07:58 PM   #13
bladefd
Good college starter

Greg Oden will not be in the league for long. Most injury-prone player I have seen in a long time. Complete waste of money for any team, including the Lakers with their massively deep pockets.
bladefd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #14
dd24
College superstar

I can see why a team like Cleveland or Charlotte would gamble on him. They need a big guy, and even if they don't get big minutes out of him if they can get 15-20 solid minutes that's better than what they are getting. The guy probably won't stay healthy, but if he signs a minimum deal it'll be worth it for a team. He'll put enough fans in the seats to make up for that. Then if he gets hurt it won't matter as much.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:36 PM   #15
DKLaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd24
I can see why a team like Cleveland or Charlotte would gamble on him. They need a big guy, and even if they don't get big minutes out of him if they can get 15-20 solid minutes that's better than what they are getting. The guy probably won't stay healthy, but if he signs a minimum deal it'll be worth it for a team. He'll put enough fans in the seats to make up for that. Then if he gets hurt it won't matter as much.

Ugh....it just reminds me; Portland, Oden over Durant
That and Brandon Roy = franchise destroying bad luck.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: