Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board
Default GOAT bigs and smalls / wingmen tandems, who you got?

Paired up by matching prime, decade of dominance, relatively close peaks, completeness and complementary games and EGOs or alpha / beta qualities. I want to know who you're taking overall as the best, but also rank these duos.

Jordan and Hakeem

Ewing and Pippen

Barkley and D-Robinson

Shaq and Hill (pre-injuries)

Kobe and Garnett

LeBron and Duncan

Wade and Dirk
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Mr. Jabbar
Da Real Lambo

Mr. Jabbar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMr. Jabbar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMr. Jabbar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMr. Jabbar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMr. Jabbar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMr. Jabbar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMr. Jabbar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMr. Jabbar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterMr. Jabbar is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: GOAT bigs and smalls / wingmen tandems, who you got?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
Paired up by matching prime, decade of dominance, relatively close peaks, completeness and complementary games and EGOs or alpha / beta qualities. I want to know who you're taking overall as the best, but also rank these duos.

Jordan and Hakeem

Ewing and Pippen

Barkley and D-Robinson

Shaq and Hill (pre-injuries)

Kobe and Garnett

LeBron and Duncan

Wade and Dirk

those 2
Mr. Jabbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:31 PM   #3
Sarcastic
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Sarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSarcastic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Jordan's peak was closer to Ewing's than Olajuwon's. Hakeem peaked around 1993 -1995, which is closer to Pippen's peak. Ewing peaked around 1990, which coincided with Jordan. And Lebron's peak is happening now, so I don't think he matches with Duncan. Dirk would be a better fit for him.
Sarcastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:32 PM   #4
Fudge
Budadiiii stan

Fudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation hereFudge has an incredible reputation here

Jordan + Hakeem
LeBron + Duncan
Kobe + Garnett
Wade + Dirk
Barkley + D Rob
Ewing + Pippen

in that order, imo. Wade and Dirk will be really underrated in this thread.
Fudge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:33 PM   #5
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY has decent reputationSTATUTORY has decent reputation

are we assuming peak performance from each player or for each pair we choose the peak era for one player and the version of the other player in that corresponding time frame?
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:37 PM   #6
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Money 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this boardMoney 23 is popular on this board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarcastic
Jordan's peak was closer to Ewing's than Olajuwon's. Hakeem peaked around 1993 -1995, which is closer to Pippen's peak. Ewing peaked around 1990, which coincided with Jordan. And Lebron's peak is happening now, so I don't think he matches with Duncan. Dirk would be a better fit for him.
Ewing's athletic peak was in '90. He was at his best between '92 - '96 which is around Pippen at his EXACT best. I figured it was logical.

Sure LeBron is peaking again, but he was nice from 2008 - 2010, and Duncan was still very much an elite player. I paired those two up more based off game and personality.

MJ's peak isn't 1990. That was the start of his peak. His peak is any number of years from '91 - '93, and he would've been really nice in '94 and '95, most likely the last years of his peak / prime. I personally think we lost out on what would've been one of MJ's best years in 1994.

Actual '95 was an off year because he was shaking off rust and was in baseball shape. But many consider '96 to be the last year of MJ's prime. Why would pairing up '94 MJ and '94 / '95 Hakeem seem illogical to you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudge
Wade and Dirk will be really underrated in this thread.
I think their games and personalities would be a natural fit, too. Will be underrated for sure. Good eye.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jabbar
those 2
I think so too, my dude. Repped.
Old 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #7
Jolokia
Serious playground baller

Jolokia has decent reputationJolokia has decent reputation

You should make it more fair like:

Pippen/Duncan
Kobe/Dirk
Lebron/Ewing
Wade/Hakeem
Iverson/D-Rob
Jordan/Barkley
Grant Hill/Shaq
McGrady/KG

Edit: Nvm...didn't really read. lol...I go Jordan and Hakeem

Last edited by Jolokia : 02-05-2013 at 05:41 PM.
Jolokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:42 PM   #8
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
are we assuming peak performance from each player or for each pair we choose the peak era for one player and the version of the other player in that corresponding time frame?
I tried to match them up as best as possible. The only leap in peak / prime is the Duncan / Bron combo. Bron really started to get absurdly good in 2008, IMO. Duncan was just starting the downside of his career, but wasn't bad in any respects. The biggest leap is with him.

Kobe and KG, both were tuck on terrible teams in 2006 and 2007, but their primes and peaks are very close, IMO. I don't necessarily think 2004 has to be the epitome Kevin Garnett. But even if that's how you ranked them, there isn't a huge difference in time gap.

Same goes for Wade and Dirk. Both had amazing 2006, and 2007 (Wade pre injury) ... Wade had a stunning 2009, and they both had great 2011 seasons and playoffs.

Hill peaked, pre injury, just the season or two before Shaq reached the best he would ever be. They were closer in terms of age, and I actually think Hill is the best guy on this list to pair with Shaq. He's easy going, and didn't have near the dominant, alpha like qualities that would startle the big baby and childish nature within Shaq and disrupt chemistry.
Old 02-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #9
OldSchoolBBall
NBA rookie of the year

OldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation hereOldSchoolBBall has a near all-star reputation here

Ranks:

1) Jordan and Hakeem (by a considerable margin)

2) Lebron and Duncan

3) Shaq and Hill (pre-injuries)

4/5) Kobe and Garnett / Barkley and D-Robinson (roughly equal)

6) Wade and Dirk

I assumed prime play from all players.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: