Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-04-2013, 05:34 PM   #1
Michael_Wilbon
Great young streetballer

Michael_Wilbon has not been impressing people
Default What do you guys think of Bill Simmons?

I think he's the best writer ESPN has.

Discuss.
Michael_Wilbon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #2
Beatlezz
Champ;ipnsikp!

Beatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterBeatlezz is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Re: What do you guys think of Bill Simmons?

Michael Wilbon is the best sports analyst of all-time.
Beatlezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Michael_Wilbon
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beatlezz
Michael Wilbon is the best sports analyst of all-time.

I am a lot of times
Old 02-04-2013, 05:38 PM   #4
tikay0
Banned

tikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong waytikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Don't listen to his podcast. Only seen him on the half time shows. He's cool. Seems like a die hard fan.

His Celtics homerism doesn't really bother me, since he admits it, and makes a joke of it.
tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
Michael_Wilbon
Great young streetballer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikay0
Don't listen to his podcast. Only seen him on the half time shows. He's cool. Seems like a die hard fan.

His Celtics homerism doesn't really bother me, since he admits it, and makes a joke of it.

I agree. He doesn't try to hide it therefore it doesn't bother me.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

He doesn't belong on TV.
Blogs, Web sites, radio....yes, where he belongs. TV, no.

But I'm not sure if it's him or ESPN TV product.

NBA on ESPN is just terrible chemistry. Whenever Jalen, Magic, Wilbon(he's only good w/ Tony K), Simmons are on TV, I feel like I'm watching public access TV or something cuz of how bad the quality and chemistry are.
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
tikay0
Banned

tikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong waytikay0 is starting to rub some people the wrong way

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
He doesn't belong on TV.
Blogs, Web sites, radio....yes, where he belongs. TV, no.

But I'm not sure if it's him or ESPN TV product.

NBA on ESPN is just terrible chemistry. Whenever Jalen, Magic, Wilbon(he's only good w/ Tony K), Simmons are on TV, I feel like I'm watching public access TV or something cuz of how bad the quality and chemistry are.

If it were just Wilbon and Simmons, that would be perfect. Jalen is cringe worthy to listen to, and Magic is just Magic.
tikay0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
fpliii
NBA All-star

fpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterfpliii is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I like his podcast and his columns (and loved the 30 for 30 series, which I believe he executive produced), but I don't care for him much as a studio analyst.

I'm really torn on his book though...the amount of research he did is admirable, but I found myself disagreeing with his arguments/logic/trains of thought more often than not. I think it's fine if you take the 'Book of Basketball' for what it is (as opposed to at face value, since it seems Bill performed a lot of research to find support for his arguments, rather than approaching the project with a blank state; this is just how it comes off to me, at least).
fpliii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:48 PM   #9
Michael_Wilbon
Great young streetballer

Simmons has to play by more rules when he's on tv I assume. He can be a little more 'real' when he's writing his grantland articles.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #10
IGotACoolStory
Harry Giles:Next KG

IGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation hereIGotACoolStory has an incredible reputation here

Grantland is a good site.

I don't really like him in anything else.
IGotACoolStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 06:03 PM   #11
chips93
Very good NBA starter

chips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterchips93 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

listen to pretty much all of his podcasts, and read most of his nba columns, and im a huge fan of his website grantland.

i havent seen him on tv, since nba leaguepass doesnt show any pre-game or halftime stuff.
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:20 PM   #12
SpecialQue
NBA Superstar

SpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableSpecialQue is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

It's been very hard to take him seriously lately with his constantly waffling on Lebron. At first he had potential to be one of the greats. Then he signed with Miami and he wrote an article about how he could never, ever be compared to Jordan. Then Lebron wins and now Simmons is saying that he has potential to be even better than Jordan. I understand that people are free to change their minds about the topic at hand, but that jumping back and forth was just fvcking ridiculous.

There is also a dramatic sinking in quality the further away you get from print. His podcast is average, he was awful that one time he was calling a game, his appearances on stuff like those 30 for 30 docs in annoying, and he is absolutely insufferable as a TV analyst.

So overall, a pretty good writer, meh when you hear him speak, terrible when you have to see his face.
SpecialQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #13
Rake2204
7-time NBA All-Star

Rake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRake2204 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I like Bill Simmons as a writer. I suppose I do not mind him as an analyst, but I certainly prefer him as a writer. A written persona often varies greatly from a real life persona, so it can kind of be a bummer for the consumer to discover both of those aspects of any given writer. It sometimes seems more magical to never know what a writer's like in real life, even if they're perfectly normal and cool.

I had the same issue with Rick Reilly. I liked his back page articles in Sports Illustrated. Now he's just some guy spewing off weird words with a microphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
I don't even know if it's bad chemistry. It seems more like a misappropriation of roles and it all starts with Jalen Rose. On the rare occasions I see an introduction to an ESPN/ABC half-time report, hearing Rose lead the way always makes me think he's an emergency fill-in for the real host, who is to return shortly.

I just can't buy Rose as that guy. I think he could analyze, but he's missing something in terms of cultivating discussion amongst his peers, which is exactly what a host's strong point is supposed to be (i.e. Ernie Johnson).

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialQue
It's been very hard to take him seriously lately with his constantly waffling on Lebron.
I'm not familiar with all the specifics of his LeBron points but from what you said, it sort of just seems like he's been articulating what a lot of us have been feeling in the past few years. With the leading of a medium team to the cusp of greatness (Cleveland), to attempting to create a super stack in his favor so he could "win" and earn the glory he so desired, to he and his team failing to succeed in year one of the "it's going to be easy" era, to his ultimate victory in 2012, there's been a lot of things to throw around and weigh as an NBA fan or analyst.

Last edited by Rake2204 : 02-04-2013 at 07:40 PM.
Rake2204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:45 PM   #14
therammingman
National High School Star

therammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputationtherammingman has a very bad reputation

Love his podcasts
therammingman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #15
Dwight Shrute
I brick open layups

Dwight Shrute has an OK reputation so far

I like Bill Simmons... the really dislike magic and jalen though... Both guys just seem out of place. That being said this espn crew is a lot better than what it has been the last few years
Dwight Shrute is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: