Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 02-01-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
HelterSkelter
High School JV MVP

HelterSkelter has decent reputationHelterSkelter has decent reputation
Default Nick Van Exel's son sentenced to 60yrs in prison for murder

Quote:
DALLAS (AP) -- A Texas jury sentenced the son of former NBA player Nick Van Exel to 60 years in prison Friday in the shooting death of a longtime friend.
Nickey Maxwell Van Exel, 22, received the punishment after his father wept on the witness stand and apologized to the family of the victim, Bradley Bassey Eyo. The same jury in Dallas County in North Texas found the younger Van Exel guilty of murder on Thursday.

Prosecutors had sought a capital murder conviction.
Nickey Van Exel fatally shot Eyo in December 2010 and dumped his body at Lake Ray Hubbard on the eastern outskirts of Dallas. His attorney had said the two were playing with a shotgun at Nickey Van Exel's Garland home and that Van Exel didn't know the gun was loaded.

damn son..

FULL ARTICLE:
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ex-nba-...7845--nba.html
HelterSkelter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
hon hon hon eat snails

9512 has decent reputation9512 has decent reputation
Default Re: Nick Van Exel's son sentenced to 60yrs in prison for murder

9512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:22 PM   #3
Myth
NBA Legend and Hall of Famer

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelterSkelter
damn son..

That's what NVE said.
Myth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
wally_world
M0derator

wally_world has decent reputationwally_world has decent reputation

Feel sorry for NVE, not the slightest bit for his son.
wally_world is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:43 PM   #5
Eric Cartman
respect my authoritah

Eric Cartman is considered somewhat coolEric Cartman is considered somewhat cool

Never play with guns kids.
Eric Cartman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:45 PM   #6
Bandito
NBA Role Player

Bandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBandito is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

WHat an idiot, if he wouldve notified the police first he wouldn't gotten anything from 15 to 45 years in jail. For trying to cover up the sentence got longer...
Bandito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:46 PM   #7
Myth

Myth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableMyth is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Btw, this is why there needs to be stricter laws on locking away guns (so that the owner of the gun is partially responsible assuming there wasn't reasonable attempts to keep away from others and assuming NVE's son was not the owner of the gun). At least the laws on murder are strict though.
Old 02-02-2013, 01:26 AM   #8
I<3NBA
College superstar

I<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angryI<3NBA posts stuff that is definitely making some people angry

it would've just been manslaughter if he reported it as accident. what an idiot.
I<3NBA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:34 AM   #9
Ramiah
I hit open 5-footers

Ramiah has an OK reputation so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandito
WHat an idiot, if he wouldve notified the police first he wouldn't gotten anything from 15 to 45 years in jail. For trying to cover up the sentence got longer...
This....stupid kids
Ramiah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 01:51 AM   #10
R.I.P.
NBA lottery pick

R.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterR.I.P. is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by I<3NBA
it would've just been manslaughter if he reported it as accident. what an idiot.

If he wasn´t an idiot, he wouldn´t have played with the gun or at least made sure it wasn´t loaded.
R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #11
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.I.P.
If he wasn´t an idiot, he wouldn´t have played with the gun or at least made sure it wasn´t loaded.

The only person who said that he was playing with the gun was his lawyer (and presumably the kid himself/family members/loved ones/etc). The jury found him guilty of murder, so there is enough belief out there that he wasn't just "playing" with the gun.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:04 AM   #12
fsvr54
F*ck Society

fsvr54 is considered somewhat coolfsvr54 is considered somewhat cool

He is an assistant coach for the Hawks (since most of you don't follow us), I wonder how this affects him.
fsvr54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 02:06 AM   #13
Myth

Quote:
Originally Posted by fsvr54
He is an assistant coach for the Hawks (since most of you don't follow us), I wonder how this affects him.

He probably won't be pushing for a Jayson Williams NBA return.
Old 02-02-2013, 02:09 AM   #14
Jasper
Bucks Brigade

Jasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterJasper is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

note - Nick crys on stand ....

fatherhood can suck if it isn't done ......
Jasper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:07 AM   #15
NickTheQuick31
I airball my layups

NickTheQuick31 has an OK reputation so far

Im a huge NVE fan and I have been reading as much as I can find about this case. Ill clean up some things posted here which are either unknown or wrong.

Nickey Van Exel (NVE's son) lived with his mom and step dad in texas. He often stayed with his Dad during summers but did not permanently live with him.

The gun used in the murder belonged to his step dad.

Bradley Bassey Eyo was Nickey's best friend. They lived across the street from each other. Eyo had been found guilty of a string of robberies in the Houston area in 2010, the footage showed he had someone else with him during the robberies. The Police believed Van Exel Jr was with Eyo during the robberies but lacked the evidence to convict Van Exel. Eyo was due to talk to Police 10 days after to murder about the robberies, where it was believed he was going to tell them Van Exel was with him. (THIS IS NOT FACT, IT IS WHAT THE PROSECUTION BELIEVES BUT THERE IS NO EVIDENCE). The prosecution believed Van Exel killed Eyo as Eyo was about to "snitch" to the Police about the robberies.

After the shooting Van Exel took the body and dumped it in a near by lake. He returned home and cleaned the blood from his bedroom floor and vehicle before going and throwing the gun away somewhere else. The body of Eyo was found missing a pair of sneakers, cell phones and jewelry.

Van Exel confessed to the murder a few days after with his lawyer and turned himself in. Van Exel claims the murder was an accident, that he was playing with a gun he did not realize was loaded. Van Exel's lawyer claimed his later action's were just panic after he shot his friend.

Basically as much as Id like to believe it was an accident it does not look good. I feel really sorry for Nick senior, his Dad left him as a child and I read numerous interviews from Nick saying he would always be there for his son. In the "Beyond the Glory" episode on Nick from 2002 it shown Nick taking his son to the park, and he talks about being involved with his sons life. Nick's son features in the 2006 MTV Cribs segment on Nick segment.

Van Exel broke down at one point while speaking in court. He then apologized to Eyo's family.

"I'm really sorry to the Eyo family. Nobody should have to go through something like this. Nobody," he said, as he looked at Eyo's family members who were in the courtroom.

It is impossible to know for sure but Nick Sr seemed to be a good father. Nickey is his only child, so were not talking about a Shawn Kemp here. I think its understandable to believe Nickey living with his mom as it must be impossible for any NBA employee who travels to be a full time parent.

This is just sad, I met Nick once and he was the nicest guy, posed for pics and signed a poster for me. Im from Australia so he took the time to chat with me, asked me about Australia and introduced himself to my wife. He was not asked to do this, he just saw me wearing a Cincinnati Van Exel jersey at a Hawks game a few years ago and came over.
NickTheQuick31 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: