Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Football Forum

Football Forum Football forum - NFL football forum

Old 01-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #1
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default Browns fans I offer you a solution to your QB woes: Alex Smith

Why?
-He's a year younger than Brandon Weeden
-Established QB in his prime who still has room to develop
-Reunited with Norv Turner who coached Alex in his 2nd season and made him look like a potential Franchise QB type of player. Then Norv left for San Diego and all hell broke loose..
-Smith is a very smart QB and he's developed into the type of QB than can run the offense on the fly. Not to mention he's a mentally tough player who'll help change the losing culture in Cleveland.
-Would work well with T-rich and would develop a situation similar to Smith and Gore.

Do you want him Cleveland fans? He's going to be cut unless some team offers the niners something for him or if Smith somehow puts up a big performance in the SB(if Kaep gets hurt)
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
-p.tiddy-
the Sho Kosugi of ISH

-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable-p.tiddy- is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Browns fans I offer you a solution to your QB woes: Alex Smith

damn, Alex Smith was drafted back in 2005...he is a 7 year vet...and he is younger than Weeden

that's just crazy
-p.tiddy- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:44 PM   #3
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by -p.tiddy-
damn, Alex Smith was drafted back in 2005...he is a 7 year vet...and he is younger than Weeden

that's just crazy

I think Smith was 21 when he was drafted.. Very young when he was drafted, he's also 1 year older than Matt Ryan to put things in perspective.
Old 01-31-2013, 08:57 PM   #4
ballinhun8
Bulls | Bears | W. Sox

ballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterballinhun8 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

How good is Smith really though? I mean like without Harbaugh?

Without him he was seen as a bust and ever since he became HC, Smith started to develop like a solid QB. Not a #1 overall type but solid.
ballinhun8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballinhun8
How good is Smith really though? I mean like without Harbaugh?

Without him he was seen as a bust and ever since he became HC, Smith started to develop like a solid QB. Not a #1 overall type but solid.

I've posted about Smith's career alot on here it seems(different posters can confirm this) and I've never seen a QB go through the shit he has. He started his career with a defensive minded coach(Mike Nolan) who threw him under the bus his third year after Smith tried playing with a separated throwing shoulder in the season. He was surrounded by the worst possible worst offensive coaches a QB can have and that's crucial to a young QB's progression and don't forget Alex Smith was extremely raw coming out as he played in a spread offense in college(Urban Meyer). Norv Turner was the only competent coach Alex had in his career Pre-Harbough and after he left for San Diego Jeff Hostler and Jimmy Raye were the two next offensive coordinators and they were as clueless as a offensive coach can get.. They literally ran the offense like a JV team and I've never seen such vanilla play calling in my life.

Then you have Mike Singletary who's basically a poor man's Harbough(without the brain) as a coach. I don't need to explain why he failed as his offensive philosophy was "41 counter hit em in da moufff", not a QB evaluator to say the least. Then there's also the injuries which set him back.

I don't like how people say Smith is a product of Harbough's system because all players are a product of their system. Would Brady have been the player he is today with out Bellichick? Would Kaepernick look like a stud without Harbough?

Harbough did what any sane and competent coach would have done with Alex Smith and he fixed his flaws. He turned him into a solid pocket QB, fixed his turnover problems, made him practically the most efficient QB in the league, etc.

I think he's the perfect West Coast QB and he can also play in a Chip Kelly system.
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 AM   #6
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

At first I was thinking they'd cut him but the more I think about it they can't cut him. So the Browns would have to put something up for him, and they aren't QB starved enough to part with Wheeden.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 09:13 AM   #7
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
At first I was thinking they'd cut him but the more I think about it they can't cut him. So the Browns would have to put something up for him, and they aren't QB starved enough to part with Wheeden.

49ers will need to make a decision by May 1st(or was it April?) or he'd be due a large roster bonus and I don't think the niners will pay a backup QB $8 million.

Of course the Niners would want something in return but what's the driving price if teams know if he's going to get cut? Hopefully the Niners treat him with some class and let him decide his next team and not royally **** him over again.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:14 AM   #8
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

He'd be shit outside of SF.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #9
jazz873
College star

jazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation herejazz873 has a near all-star reputation here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker
He'd be shit outside of SF.
He would be the perfect QB for the Vikings if he played next season like this season
jazz873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #10
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I would be against it simply due to the fact that the Browns are acquiring too many players I like and enjoy rooting for. Haden, Sheard, Gordon, T-Rich, etc. They even drafted Pinkston out of Pitt along with Sheard. I'd prefer them having Weedon because I get extra enjoyment from it when he has a subpar game lol.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Jailblazers7
will-to-bigness

Jailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableJailblazers7 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873
He would be the perfect QB for the Vikings if he played next season like this season

Apparently any QB is adequate for the Vikings as long as Percy is healthy and gets 7-10 screen passes per game.
Jailblazers7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:03 PM   #12
Timmy D for MVP
Chuck Hayes Stan

Timmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableTimmy D for MVP is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by knickballer
49ers will need to make a decision by May 1st(or was it April?) or he'd be due a large roster bonus and I don't think the niners will pay a backup QB $8 million.

Of course the Niners would want something in return but what's the driving price if teams know if he's going to get cut? Hopefully the Niners treat him with some class and let him decide his next team and not royally **** him over again.

They are in no rush whatsoever.

They would be paying the backup 7.5 mil. But would get an entire year to trade him before dealing with Colin who CAN'T NEGOTIATE until the end of next season. So really the QB's together would be making about 8 mil. If I'm GM I have no issue with that. Add Willis' contract getting much lighter on the books and that cap danger they are in now is lightened even with Alex on the squad.

They reason they cannot and will not let him go has less to do with his value on market and more to do with ensuring he doesn't end up in Arizona. They would like to dictate where he goes and if it also includes a 2-5 rounder then it's just icing. Even if no one bites right away you have the best QB situation in the league until someone does.
Timmy D for MVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #13
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timmy D for MVP
They are in no rush whatsoever.

They would be paying the backup 7.5 mil. But would get an entire year to trade him before dealing with Colin who CAN'T NEGOTIATE until the end of next season. So really the QB's together would be making about 8 mil. If I'm GM I have no issue with that. Add Willis' contract getting much lighter on the books and that cap danger they are in now is lightened even with Alex on the squad.

They reason they cannot and will not let him go has less to do with his value on market and more to do with ensuring he doesn't end up in Arizona. They would like to dictate where he goes and if it also includes a 2-5 rounder then it's just icing. Even if no one bites right away you have the best QB situation in the league until someone does.

I can understand having a reliable backup with Kaepernick at QB but at nearly $8mil that's wasted money. You don't keep a backup QB with that money due to the fact that the starter is still on his rookie contract. You can sign a veteran backup for 1/4 the price to hold the clipboard.

That's 7.5mil that can be wasted elsewhere on the team and help the team improve. Not to mention there's going to be a few 49er players looking for new deals once their rookie/old contracts are expiring. If you keep Smith you run the risk of losing a guy like Goldson or Crabtree who'll probably want top 5 WR money..

It's highly unlikely the Niners keep him based on that fact. They might get a pick(probably a late pick) but teams aren't going to waste anything for a guy that will be available a month later.

Hopefully the niners treat Smith with the same respect he's treated them and just cut the poor guy. He's been through hell and back for the franchise only to get his face smashed in the curb..
Old 02-02-2013, 10:42 AM   #14
Skywalker
LFC|JAYS|RAPS|VIKES

Skywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterSkywalker is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazz873

I'd take him begrudgingly because Ponder and Webb are so bad, but he's definitely not the answer for any team imo. SF is a QB heaven much like the Pats used to be.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #15
RedBlackAttack
The Paterfamilias

RedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableRedBlackAttack is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

I'm OK with going after Alex Smith. I haven't completely given up on Weeden, but he struggled down the stretch of the season and seemed to have serious confidence issues in the last six games or so.

That isn't good for a young QB. I've seen a lot of guys come and go over the last 13 years (obviously) and the thing that is always the first sign of their downfall is a visible lack of confidence. That is when you start seeing a barrage of dump-offs, screens and sacks. They don't want to pull the trigger.

Not saying Weeden is done, because he actually does have talent. He has a very nice arm, a good sturdy frame and pretty decent accuracy. If he were five years younger, I would be more than happy to give him another year or more to get it together, but he needs to grow at a faster rate than other inexperienced QBs do to his age.

Alex Smith is an interesting case study. When he has been good in the NFL, he is a very reliable, rock solid starting QB. However, the question has always been, was he a product of Norv Turner and then Harbaugh in his good years, or is he just a good QB regardless of the situation?

But, having Norv here does help out in that respect. Reuniting them would make sense.

I will tell you that there is a lot of buzz here that this move will ultimately be made. Not sure if that is media-driven or actual solid information coming from the front office, but it is being talked about quite a bit.

Btw, there was a celebration in Cleveland today when Art Modell was denied again for the HOF. That's it for him. If he couldn't make it in this year, he'll never get in.
RedBlackAttack is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: