Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-31-2013, 03:48 AM   #1
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Kurosawa0 has no real reputation yet.
Default Hold on a Second Here with the Lakers

I love that NBA writers have such a Lakers bias. Miami two seasons ago falls two wins short of a title and that's a disaster. The Lakers on the other hand can consider sliding into the 8th seed a success. Seriously? The team has four Hall of Famers on it! The 8th seed is an utterly tremendous failure. Maybe without equal in NBA history.

At the very least, the Western Conference Finals should be the standard. How does this happen? How did making the playoffs somehow convert to success for this team?

I find this absolutely hilarious.
Kurosawa0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #2
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default Re: Hold on a Second Here with the Lakers

Getting to the 8th seed is only a success relative to what they've done so far. Where the hell did you get the sense that if they merely make the playoffs, the season is considered a success?

Laker bias? The Lakers failures have been the biggest story of the season. They've been getting destroyed. Basically, this thread no bueno

Last edited by chazzy : 01-31-2013 at 04:04 AM.
chazzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:09 AM   #3
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

This entire dialogue for the last several days is how Kobe is passing and the Lakers look good! "Hey, they might make the playoffs! Hooray!"

Here's the thing, they should be getting killed. Miami won 58 games that first year. It's still a question as to whether the Lakers will win 38.

I had a user on here the other day ask me why I left Kobe off my top 5 list for MVP! How could anyone from this team remotely get any awards consideration?

Are we serious? Even the Shaq, Kobe, Malone and Payton team made the Finals.

In no way, shape or form has this season for the Lakers been treated as the biggest disappointment in NBA history, as it's on track to being.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:19 AM   #4
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

chazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablechazzy is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
This entire dialogue for the last several days is how Kobe is passing and the Lakers look good! "Hey, they might make the playoffs! Hooray!"
That's how the media works. They knee jerk to everything and this is the latest turn in the Laker drama. You can only talk about them playing bad for so long. When something finally good happens, like the Lakers winning 3 in a row including a big win over OKC and in the fashion they've been winning, of course it would be a big story.
Quote:
Here's the thing, they should be getting killed. Miami won 58 games that first year. It's still a question as to whether the Lakers will win 38.
And they have been. Where have you been? These past 5 days have been the only somewhat positive media days for the Lakers in a while. You're upset about that even? NO positive headlines allowed is what you're saying? There are always peaks and valleys throughout a season in terms of media coverage. They final judgment will be made when their season ends.

Quote:
I had a user on here the other day ask me why I left Kobe off my top 5 list for MVP! How could anyone from this team remotely get any awards consideration?
That was me, I thought it was your top 5 overall and not MVP list
Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 AM   #5
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by chazzy
And they have been. Where have you been? These past 5 days have been the only somewhat positive media days for the Lakers in a while. You're upset about that even? NO positive headlines allowed is what you're saying? There are always peaks and valleys throughout a season in terms of media coverage. They final judgment will be made when their season ends.

Are you going to pretend that the amount of negativity that the Lakers have received has been remotely justified after what we saw with Miami for the last two years? That's gotta be the standard, right?

The funny thing I think back to is that I didn't think LeBron deserved the MVP that year because Miami underperformed expectations. The guy averaged 27, 8 and 7 on a 58 win team and that was not enough.

If Miami had lost to Indiana last year it would've been less of a failure than the Lakers this season.

I'm not trying to make this a Miami thing, but it's just so fascinating the differences in reactions. LeBron held The Decision, but that was nowhere near as bad as Dwight holding up the Magic for two years with his drama.

The only people I can think of that have received that amount of vitriol has been Pau Gasol and Mike D'Antoni. That's just hilarious.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 AM   #6
Hank
Heatles = Dynasty

Hank is considered somewhat coolHank is considered somewhat coolHank is considered somewhat cool

LA Fakers
Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 AM   #7
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

Making the playoff would be a success considering their record right now. It's not that hard to understand.
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 AM   #8
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurosawa0
Are you going to pretend that the amount of negativity that the Lakers have received has been remotely justified after what we saw with Miami for the last two years? That's gotta be the standard, right?

The funny thing I think back to is that I didn't think LeBron deserved the MVP that year because Miami underperformed expectations. The guy averaged 27, 8 and 7 on a 58 win team and that was not enough.

If Miami had lost to Indiana last year it would've been less of a failure than the Lakers this season.

I'm not trying to make this a Miami thing, but it's just so fascinating the differences in reactions. LeBron held The Decision, but that was nowhere near as bad as Dwight holding up the Magic for two years with his drama.

The only people I can think of that have received that amount of vitriol has been Pau Gasol and Mike D'Antoni. That's just hilarious.
I'm not exactly sure what your point is. The media hasn't given them a pass.. they have been killed all year. Daily columns and TV segments talking about why the Lakers are bad. This has literally been the only week they have said good stuff about them for multiple days, and that's only because they've been so BAD all year, that any sign of the Lakers turning it around also becomes a big story. Not hard to understand.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:52 AM   #9
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamgine
Making the playoff would be a success considering their record right now. It's not that hard to understand.

That would be a success for Dallas. Not for the Lakers.
Old 01-31-2013, 04:53 AM   #10
fefe
Good High School Starter

fefe has decent reputation

To be fair though, If they can make the playoffs from here, that probably means they played something like 80% basketball in the second half of the season.

If they can do that, it means that they finally figured it out.
In this sense, making the playoff also means that they can win the whole thing, even without homecourt advantage.
fefe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 AM   #11
chazzy
3-time NBA All-Star

And what is it with you Miami complex? First there was this joke of a thread and now you're upset that, despite the Lakers getting destroyed in the media, it's not quite at the level of your Heat?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:01 AM   #12
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
I'm not exactly sure what your point is. The media hasn't given them a pass.. they have been killed all year. Daily columns and TV segments talking about why the Lakers are bad. This has literally been the only week they have said good stuff about them for multiple days, and that's only because they've been so BAD all year, that any sign of the Lakers turning it around also becomes a big story. Not hard to understand.

No, my point is actually pretty simple. There is no salvation in just making the playoffs for the Lakers, regardless of their record. They have the highest payroll in the league and four hall of fame caliber players. They should be judged solely on winning a title or not. To not win it all is nothing but a complete failure. To not make the playoffs or to simply get bounced in the first round is a depth without equal in modern NBA history.

I've not seen it covered that way and that's what's happening.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:04 AM   #13
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

Quote:
And what is it with you Miami complex? First there was this joke of a thread and now you're upset that, despite the Lakers getting destroyed in the media, it's not quite at the level of your Heat?

I just reference Miami because they're the applicable team in the age of the internet. It's not really about them, but it is an interesting case study.

What would be treated worse? The Lakers losing in the first round to the Thunder or Miami losing in the second round to Boston that first year?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #14
iamgine

iamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cooliamgine is considered somewhat cool

They are clearly not the best team so why would "they should be judged solely on winning a title or not"?
iamgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:15 AM   #15
Kurosawa0
NBA rookie of the year

I would actually say the bias I think you see is in the desired outcomes for the storylines.

You always felt that Miami losing was a juicer story for the writers and TV people.

The Lakers losing on the other hand is treated a little differently. You can read and see the desire for them to pull it together.

People seemed to talk with more joy when Miami was down and with more gloom with the Lakers.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: