Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #61
Round Mound
NBA lottery pick
 
Round Mound's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 5,344
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Underrated by Jordan Stans and Overrated by Kobe Stands. He Was The Best SF of the 90s All Around Wise There is No Denying That. Infact, Pippen Is One of the Best All Around and Team Players Ever. The Best Defending Perimeter Player Ever, Solid Scorer, Very Good Rebounder, Great Creator and Assist Man, Great Stealer and Great Versatility for a 6`8 Pointforward.
Round Mound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 PM   #62
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,926
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kblaze8855
Magic wasnt a scorer by nature but he could have scored at a rate Pippen never did im sure of that. In 87 when Kareem went down he put up:

34/15
38/16
46/10/9
30/15
28/9
4 points 18 assist(40 point win only played 29 minutes)
32/14 the game Kareem came back for a few moments

Dropped down for a 26 point triple double the next game with Kareem fully back then went back to usual. Scored more than usual even after that but....he didnt just pour it on as he could have.

Magic could do whatever he felt like.
Magic and Pippen played in two different eras. The league on avg took roughly 5-800 more shots when Magic played in the early to mid 80s when compared to.the 90s. At what point is this fact implemented when statistics are brought up? If Pippen played in the early to mid 80s in his prime, his stats woild be along the lines of 23/9/7 with a high of 25/10/8.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:48 PM   #63
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,926
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
Replace Lebron with Pippen on the 07 Cavs and they don't get past the ECF. No chance at all. Pippen was beast, but he aint carrying that team's offense for a whole 4th quarter and two overtimes.
Lol he carried the Bulls in the fourth quarter of game 6 in the NBA finals vs the Blazers. Youre literally saying he couldnt do something that he did. Not to mentione the fact that the Bulls were down by 15 pts. And he shut diwn Drexler. He scored 11 pts in that fourth quarter, WTF?


And I guarantee if Pippen played James role vs the Mavs they wouldve won. Marion and Terry bitch slapped James.

Again you just cant hide the agenda. Even if you tried
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:49 PM   #64
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,926
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by STATUTORY
Incredibly underrated and his legacy will be increasingly eroded and maligned as NBA fans become more stat obsessed with less emphasis on the specificites of the game.

What Pippen brought to the game were aspects that can't be effectively quantified. Amazing on ball defender, weakside helper, versatility both on offense and defense, court vision, etc

There's not many championship team in history of NBA that couldn't have been improved by replacing one of the main pieces with a prime pippen
Great post
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:50 PM   #65
OldSchoolBBall
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,906
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce Bigalow
Who's higher on the all-time list, Pippen or Lebron?
lol

Lebron is way higher now. 3 MVP's and a FMVP/title as the #1, with several dominant postseasons and regular seasons? Lebron is in the 12-16 range now at a minimum. Pippen is in the 22-27 range.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #66
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!
 
SilkkTheShocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,786
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Lol he carried the Bulls in the fourth quarter of game 6 in the NBA finals vs the Blazers. Youre literally saying he couldnt do something that he did. Not to mentione the fact that the Bulls were down by 15 pts. And he shut diwn Drexler. He scored 11 pts in that fourth quarter, WTF?


And I guarantee if Pippen played James role vs the Mavs they wouldve won. Marion and Terry bitch slapped James.

Again you just cant hide the agenda. Even if you tried


I think Pippen is underrated. But he doesn't have the ability to carry a team like the 07 Cavs to the Finals. As for 2011, Im not denying that. They could have definitely won with Pippen in his spot. But we all already know what Pippen can do as a sidekick. Im sure he would have no problem being Wade's Robin in that series.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:51 PM   #67
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,926
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ne 1
Peak Pippen was actually very close to mid 80s Magic statistically speaking...

'94 Pippen:

22/9/6/3 on 49%
All-defensive first team
23.2 PER (lets use PER since MJ fans love this statistic)
Bulls were 51-21 in games he played, and 4-6 without him

'85 Magic:

18/6/13/2 on 56%
23.2 PER
Lakers were 57-20 in games he played, and 5-0 without him

Magic is obviously the better offensive player (and would go on to become an even better player after '87), but Pippen has a huge huge edge defensively. But had Pippen's prime come in the mid 80s, against a worse league defensively and while playing on a faster pace (imagine even more transition scoring opportunities for Scottie), is a 24/10/7 season on 50+% really out of the question here? Maybe even something like 25/10/8 if he played in the mid 80s run and gun Western Conference (defensively those were some of the worst conferences in NBA history, almost every team gave up 110+ ppg). Pippen can lock down Magic in a one on one matchup as we've already seen in '91, but can you say the same is true the other way around? I think '87-'89 Magic > any version of Pippen, but mid 80s Magic vs. Pippen is a really good comparison imo. Both players can dominate a game while taking less than 10 shots too.

Pippen on an 80's run and gun team could've approached those numbers. He averaged 21/8/7 on 51% shooting on the '92 Bulls and that team's pace factor was 94.4, his season 22/9/6/49 FG% season in '94 came on a team with a pace factor of 91.9.

Now if we use '85 for comparison, the Nuggets played at the fastest pace(107.6) and the Showtime Lakers were only the 9th fastest team(103.2).

So a 21-22 ppg, 8-9 rpg, 6-7 apg going from a structured slower paced offensive to a fastbreak team with 10-15 extra possessions to work with.
Preach brotha.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #68
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,926
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
I think Pippen is underrated. But he doesn't have the ability to carry a team like the 07 Cavs to the Finals. As for 2011, Im not denying that. They could have definitely won with Pippen in his spot. But we all already know what Pippen can do as a sidekick. Im sure he would have no problem being Wade's Robin in that series.
Call it what you want. Im just responding to your assumption that Pippen couldnt close games. Why didnt Wade go and defend Berea or Terry? People just dont understand the effort it takes to play defense at a high level. If Wade had to chase either if those two, I guarantee his offense wouldve been effected.

Last edited by 97 bulls : 01-30-2013 at 04:57 PM.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #69
SilkkTheShocker
RAY ALLEN FOR 3..BANG!
 
SilkkTheShocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,786
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Call it what you want. Im just responding to your assumption that Pippen couldnt close games. Why didnt Wade go and defend Berea or Terry?


I think because they were relying on him more for scoring and didn't want to tire him out chasing those guys around screens
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #70
Legends66NBA7
Apex
 
Legends66NBA7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Sauga
Posts: 19,605
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

A thread that went nearly 30 pages because he was called "2nd most overrated on ISH":

http://www.insidehoops.com/forum/sho...d.php?t=135476

I think I can see why he's overrated and underrated, but it comes down to who your asking at times. I've seen people overrate and underrate Pippen, I think he's ranked just right.

Also, let's put actual arbitrary rankings into play:

If he's ranked Top 15-20 range, considered overrated ?

If he's ranked Top 25-30, rated correctly ?

If he's ranked Top 35-40 range, considered underrated ?
Legends66NBA7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:02 PM   #71
DMV2
NBA Stats Watcher
 
DMV2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 10,421
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

I think he's underrated when compared with McHale, Worthy, and those types of guys. Those guys never got the label of a "sidekick" or second fiddle. But then again, Jordan was that damn good that he changed the way people look at the game.

It's also a fact that Pippen was the best SF of his generation (the 90's), yet that fact never gets any recognition.
DMV2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:20 PM   #72
OldSchoolBBall
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,906
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMV2
I think he's underrated when compared with McHale, Worthy, and those types of guys.

Pippen was not appreciably better (if at all) than McHale prime vs. prime. He was better than Worthy, however.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:28 PM   #73
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,926
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
I think because they were relying on him more for scoring and didn't want to tire him out chasing those guys around screens
Well, Pippen had to do it. And run the offense as well as score. That game vs the Lakers when he defended Magic, he scored 20 pts, had 10 rbds, and 5 asts. Magic shot 31% from the field and had 4 TOs. And was visibly flustered. He literally had a hard time getting past half court. And that was with 10 seconds. Just think if he had only 8 seconds to get past half court.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #74
ILLsmak
Life goes on.
 
ILLsmak's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 6,953
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shepseskaf
That depends on exactly where that is. Definitely top 50 all-time, imo, and in the conversation as the best perimeter defender ever.

High bb IQ, great intangibles, willing to do the dirty work, didn't need the ball to be effective...

His two downfall areas were his deficiencies on offense, and that he's a beta, rather than an alpha.

Nah he's definitely an alpha. He and MJ clashed. Common misconception, two alpha players can't coexist and win. It happens on nearly EVERY TEAM. What other player would Pippen have deferred to. Anyway, the ball was in his hands a lot, too. It's not like he was a role player.

Over/under... depends on who you ask. I'd definitely want him on my all-time team... no matter who I already had.

-Smak
ILLsmak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 05:34 PM   #75
97 bulls
5-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 11,926
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldSchoolBBall
Pippen was not appreciably better (if at all) than McHale prime vs. prime. He was better than Worthy, however.
Who would you pick between Pippen and Mchale?
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:45 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy