Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 10:58 AM   #16
97 bulls
3-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,879
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Wades a better shooter, free throw shooter, passer, blocker, post player, playmaker, slasher, more clutch, consistent and more efficient.

Its not particularly close. Wades better. Melo is better. Durant is better.
You obviously dont watch basketball.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #17
LEFT4DEAD
A WITNESS!!!
 
LEFT4DEAD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: In the middle of nowhere!
Posts: 2,092
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
You obviously dont watch basketball.
Plowking has said what I wanted. I guess you can say that Pippen is better than Kobe too. Kobe has only scoring over him. Dumb logic you have there.
LEFT4DEAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:05 AM   #18
TheMarkMadsen
Repped
 
TheMarkMadsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 6,380
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I've heard "NBA experts" saying "some people don't remember, but Pippen was the 2nd best player in the league for a few years when they were playing together". They referring to Jordan. Which is false.

Hes overrated. Particularly by NBA experts. Some of them talk as if he was a better player than Ewing, Clyde, Isiah, Barkley, etc.
Pippen was a great player, no doubt, but people remember him as far better than what he actually was due to his achievements in a team. Certain posters act as if he'd be a guaranteed lock for top 5 player in the league right now for most of his career, when in reality he'd be a fringe top 10-15 guy, like he was back in his day.


post like this make me think he's underrated.

He was the most well rounded player in the L at the time and was vital to the Bulls 3 peating twice.

how many other people have put up number like this IN THE FINALS while only getting 16-17 shots per game.

91 finals: 21 9 7 2.5 on 45%

92 finals: 21 8 8 1.5 1 on 48%

93 finals: 21 9 8 2 1 on 45%
TheMarkMadsen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:10 AM   #19
OldSchoolBBall
NBA rookie of the year
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 6,561
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Wades a better shooter, free throw shooter, passer, blocker, post player, playmaker, slasher, more clutch, consistent and more efficient.

Its not particularly close. Wades better. Melo is better. Durant is better.

Agreed, save perhaps for Melo. The other two are clearly in a different league than Pippen. He has become extremely overrated by a small yet vocal contingent on this and other boards.
OldSchoolBBall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #20
plowking
greeting earthlings
 
plowking's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: now taking over your radio
Posts: 21,534
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMarkMadsen
post like this make me think he's underrated.

He was the most well rounded player in the L at the time and was vital to the Bulls 3 peating twice.

how many other people have put up number like this IN THE FINALS while only getting 16-17 shots per game.

91 finals: 21 9 7 2.5 on 45%

92 finals: 21 8 8 1.5 1 on 48%

93 finals: 21 9 8 2 1 on 45%

As a comparison, Wade averaging 1 shot more, averaged 27/7/5 against the Mavericks shooting 55%. Along with 2 steals and 2 blocks a game.

You know Clyde averaged 26/8/6 in his first finals against Detroit right? On incredible 55% shooting. Clyde was a better player than Pippen. It was evident if you watched both at their peak. Go back and watch games from both.
plowking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM   #21
Jolokia
Serious playground baller
 
Jolokia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 462
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
You obviously dont watch basketball.
Scottie Pippen became my favorite player during his Portland years so I've collected hundreds of his Chicago games on DVD and computer downloads.

Wade is the better mid range shooter, free throw shooter, blocker, play maker, slasher, and clutch player like plowking states.

Pippen is the better passer, man defender, ball thief, 3-point shooter (he shoots more), and rebounder though. And he stays on the court more for what it's worth.

And no Melo is not better than Pippen...at least he's not shown it yet. Durant is someone I'll have over him though.
Jolokia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:38 AM   #22
97 bulls
3-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,879
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolokia
Scottie Pippen became my favorite player during his Portland years so I've collected hundreds of his Chicago games on DVD and computer downloads.

Wade is the better mid range shooter, free throw shooter, blocker, play maker, slasher, and clutch player like plowking states.

Pippen is the better passer, man defender, ball thief, 3-point shooter (he shoots more), and rebounder though. And he stays on the court more for what it's worth.

And no Melo is not better than Pippen...at least he's not shown it yet. Durant is someone I'll have over him though.
I disagree with Wade being a better playmaker, midrange, and clutch player. Wade has failed far more than he succeeded. And in situations where his teams shoukdve won. And you can exclude 06. I feel he was aided drastically by the Refs. So in your opinion, hiw is Wade more clutch?
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:40 AM   #23
97 bulls
3-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,879
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
As a comparison, Wade averaging 1 shot more, averaged 27/7/5 against the Mavericks shooting 55%. Along with 2 steals and 2 blocks a game.

You know Clyde averaged 26/8/6 in his first finals against Detroit right? On incredible 55% shooting. Clyde was a better player than Pippen. It was evident if you watched both at their peak. Go back and watch games from both.
Again, you dont know basketball. Are you taking into account what their role.was.ont the team? Or just looking at stats
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #24
SilkkTheShocker
LeBron = G.O.A.T.
 
SilkkTheShocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,284
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97 bulls
Is that exactly what I said? Or are you lying? It seems as if some of you morons get a rise out of exaggerating the truth. Then when confronted, run like a little scared bitch.


No one is running away from some f.aggot that posts on an internet forum
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:08 PM   #25
jbryan1984
Decent college freshman
 
jbryan1984's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,897
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

I think a little bit of both. The dude gets overlooked because he played with Jordan but at the same time, he was such a great player. Now, do I think he is good enough to STILL, today, be one of the top 50 players of all time? No. He is not a guy like Jordan, Shaq, LeBron, etc who could lead a team to the finals without another star. But he does get overlooked a lot and I feel his defense gets overlooked as well.
jbryan1984 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:10 PM   #26
97 bulls
3-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,879
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkTheShocker
No one is running away from some f.aggot that posts on an internet forum
Great. Then please acknowledge what I said exactly.
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 PM   #27
SilkkTheShocker
LeBron = G.O.A.T.
 
SilkkTheShocker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 11,284
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
Wades a better shooter, free throw shooter, passer, blocker, post player, playmaker, slasher, more clutch, consistent and more efficient.

Its not particularly close. Wades better. Melo is better. Durant is better.


I would take Pippen over Melo.
SilkkTheShocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:13 PM   #28
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain
 
AlphaWolf24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,478
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by plowking
I've heard "NBA experts" saying "some people don't remember, but Pippen was the 2nd best player in the league for a few years when they were playing together". They referring to Jordan. Which is false.

Hes overrated. Particularly by NBA experts. Some of them talk as if he was a better player than Ewing, Clyde, Isiah, Barkley, etc.
Pippen was a great player, no doubt, but people remember him as far better than what he actually was due to his achievements in a team. Certain posters act as if he'd be a guaranteed lock for top 5 player in the league right now for most of his career, when in reality he'd be a fringe top 10-15 guy, like he was back in his day.


Da Fuq?...





- and it's 100% true....Pippen had a 5 year stretch of top 2 - 3 player in the NBA...

from 92' - 96' he was always referred as 2nd best allaround player in the League....


- his 92' and 93' seasons were some of the best basketball ever by anyone....his perimeter defense alone was unlike anything I ever seen.

- I would say he is vastly Overrated .....since MJ is so popular, many overlook Pippen....True Fans of basketball that watched him play....understand how valuable he was.

Jordan = .417 winning % without Pippen. ( 5 sub .500 seasons) 1/3rd of his career.....that alone says it all. ( not saying MJ wasn't a great player...but Pippen provided all the help he needed to make the Bull's a championship team)
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:14 PM   #29
97 bulls
3-time NBA All-Star
 
97 bulls's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 10,879
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryan1984
I think a little bit of both. The dude gets overlooked because he played with Jordan but at the same time, he was such a great player. Now, do I think he is good enough to STILL, today, be one of the top 50 players of all time? No. He is not a guy like Jordan, Shaq, LeBron, etc who could lead a team to the finals without another star. But he does get overlooked a lot and I feel his defense gets overlooked as well.
Lol come on. Neither Jordan or Shaq were able to get to the Finals without another star. And when James went in 07, the East sucked. This is exactly my point. Why hold certain players to a standard others dont have to meet?
97 bulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:20 PM   #30
AlphaWolf24
Bringer of Rain
 
AlphaWolf24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 7,478
Default Re: Scottie Pippen: Underrated/Overrated?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbryan1984
I think a little bit of both. The dude gets overlooked because he played with Jordan but at the same time, he was such a great player. Now, do I think he is good enough to STILL, today, be one of the top 50 players of all time? No. He is not a guy like Jordan, Shaq, LeBron, etc who could lead a team to the finals without another star. But he does get overlooked a lot and I feel his defense gets overlooked as well.


- Lebron is the only one on that list that went to the Finals without another "star"....

- Pippen nearly went to the Finals with BJ Armstrong as a 2nd option.( no slight to BJ...he was an allstar ....but MJ and Shaq had great teammates who were HOF'ers
AlphaWolf24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:37 PM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy