Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 06:59 PM   #16
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago's Finest
Posts: 2,498
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Offensive schemes: PJ
Defensive schemes: Riley
In game adjustments: PJ
Rotations: Pop
Developing young talent: Pop
Managing egos: PJ
Adjusting to aging rosters: Pop
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #17
rmt
National High School Star
 
rmt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,489
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Don't agree with posters regarding rotations and Pop. He had man-love for Finley (over Hill) and Bonner/Blair (over Splitter). PJ and Riley played their best players in crunch-time instead of leaving them on the bench until it was too late.

I think the only category where Pop stands out from PJ and Riley is developing young talent. He has done a masterful job on Parker and to a lesser extent Hill and Leonard. PJ takes the cake on managing egos.

OT: Do you think Riley is sanctioning Spoelstra's small ball line-ups? You'd think he would have to be - but it just goes against the image of Riley/defense.
rmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:23 PM   #18
Xiao Yao You
NBA All-star
 
Xiao Yao You's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Peking, P.R.C., Asia
Posts: 9,959
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

What sets Riley apart is that he didn't rely on a system. He built the system around his players from showtime In LA to the defensive teams in NY and Miami to Wade's rookie year when he ran the offense through him Odom and Butler and got to the 2nd round of the playoffs to the Wade dominated championship team with the great defensive bench.
Xiao Yao You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:57 PM   #19
kkb_12
I brick open layups
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 108
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Offensive schemes: PJ
Defensive schemes: Pop
In game adjustments: Pop
Rotations: Pop
Developing young talent: Pop
Managing egos: PJ
Adjusting to aging rosters: Pop
Stupidly smiling in any situation: Spo
kkb_12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:29 PM   #20
TheBigVeto
Negging Me Is Gay
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 3,221
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Phil is overrated.

Riley and Pop are great coaches.
TheBigVeto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 09:39 PM   #21
PJR
NBA lottery pick
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 5,078
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Not quite sure why dudes are automatically putting Phil in the managinig egos category.

Remember the 2006 Heat? I remember articles from Ric Bucher and Marc Stein lambasting Riley for his off-season trades and trasactions, and how it would never work with all those personalties.

You had Shaq, Zo, White Chocolate, Gary Payton, Antoine Walker. Stan Van Gundy couldn't take it, as he was constantly getting under on the bus by those veterans, Riley stepped right in and it all meshed together.
PJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:50 PM   #22
Purch
"Yung D-Will"
 
Purch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Swat Lake City
Posts: 1,683
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Intresting forgot to put this up there, how would you rank them when it comes to calling plays out of a time out in crucial situations?
Purch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 PM   #23
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago's Finest
Posts: 2,498
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJR
Not quite sure why dudes are automatically putting Phil in the managinig egos category.
Dude, I agree with you all the time. You're a very underrated poster, pretty great even. Enjoy reading your basketball opinions. I really do. But you have GOT to be kidding me.

PJ didn't have to manage egos in Chicago, because there was a clear cut alpha dog in the locker room, a pecking order, and role players who knew not to start ish if they wanted to keep winning games (Horace Grant excluded)

But what PJ did managing Kobe Bryant, a diva with personal agendas for virtually his entire career should be absolutely applauded as the case in point of the best manager of egos.

He handled Kobe Bryant AND SHAQUILLE O'NEAL, the biggest petulant child of all time on the same team, and got them to not only co-exist but build a dynasty in the early 2000s. These guys had the gloves off and PJ managed to channel their personal war into on court success. Even for the first time in his career he had the laziest gifted player of all-time, actually motivated (Shaq in 2000 season)

The only other time Shaq was motivated was by Riley, yes, going into that 2005 season to prove a) he wasn't done and b) LA made a mistake picking Kobe over him. But he didn't get 3x rings out of Shaq, or multiple years of at least being in some what elite condition. You have got to be kidding me.

There is no better coach at the professional level for managing egos than Phil Jackson. By the way, these are easily the three best professional coaches I've ever seen. Thibs is up there as well trailing these three mega accomplished coaches.

These three are the best by far. Phil for managing egos, Riley for motivating, and Pops for x's and o's.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
Purch
"Yung D-Will"
 
Purch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Swat Lake City
Posts: 1,683
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Money 23
Dude, I agree with you all the time. You're a very underrated poster, pretty great even. Enjoy reading your basketball opinions. I really do. But you have GOT to be kidding me.

PJ didn't have to manage egos in Chicago, because there was a clear cut alpha dog in the locker room, a pecking order, and role players who knew not to start ish if they wanted to keep winning games (Horace Grant excluded)

But what PJ did managing Kobe Bryant, a diva with personal agendas for virtually his entire career should be absolutely applauded as the case in point of the best manager of egos.

He handled Kobe Bryant AND SHAQUILLE O'NEAL, the biggest petulant child of all time on the same team, and got them to not only co-exist but build a dynasty in the early 2000s. These guys had the gloves off and PJ managed to channel their personal war into on court success. Even for the first time in his career he had the laziest gifted player of all-time, actually motivated (Shaq in 2000 season)

The only other time Shaq was motivated was by Riley, yes, going into that 2005 season to prove a) he wasn't done and b) LA made a mistake picking Kobe over him. But he didn't get 3x rings out of Shaq, or multiple years of at least being in some what elite condition. You have got to be kidding me.

There is no better coach at the professional level for managing egos than Phil Jackson. By the way, these are easily the three best professional coaches I've ever seen. Thibs is up there as well trailing these three mega accomplished coaches.

These three are the best by far. Phil for managing egos, Riley for motivating, and Pops for x's and o's.

It's amazing that Thibs ends up being better than Doc, in terms of coaching abilty
Purch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:12 AM   #25
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago's Finest
Posts: 2,498
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purch
It's amazing that Thibs ends up being better than Doc, in terms of coaching abilty
I think Thibs was a bigger contributor to those Boston teams from a coaching perspective than Doc himself.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 AM   #26
Graviton
The Lost Ninja Turtle
 
Graviton's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 4,616
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purch
It's amazing that Thibs ends up being better than Doc, in terms of coaching abilty
That's because Doc is massively overrated and clueless about offense/defense. Him being a good "player coach" and motivator overshadows his team's actual performance on the court. What other coach will keep getting mentioned with Pop as best coaches with his team below .500 in the freaking Eastern Conference.

What Thibs is doing with the current Bulls roster is amazing, he is terrible at managing minutes but he gets the most out of his players. He is a great "player coach" on top of being the best defensive coach and implementing an efficient offense focused on team ball movement and unselfishness.

Only thing Doc knows how to do is give the ball to Rondo and let him do whatever. No wonder after Thibs left, Boston has never been the same team. Thibs was the real factor behind that 2008 Celtic defense and their championship.
Graviton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:05 AM   #27
Purch
"Yung D-Will"
 
Purch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Swat Lake City
Posts: 1,683
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graviton
That's because Doc is massively overrated and clueless about offense/defense. Him being a good "player coach" and motivator overshadows his team's actual performance on the court. What other coach will keep getting mentioned with Pop as best coaches with his team below .500 in the freaking Eastern Conference.

What Thibs is doing with the current Bulls roster is amazing, he is terrible at managing minutes but he gets the most out of his players. He is a great "player coach" on top of being the best defensive coach and implementing an efficient offense focused on team ball movement and unselfishness.

Only thing Doc knows how to do is give the ball to Rondo and let him do whatever. No wonder after Thibs left, Boston has never been the same team. Thibs was the real factor behind that 2008 Celtic defense and their championship.

He has improved as a coach though. I remember back in the day, Bill Simmons wrote an article about Rivers making him seem like the worst coach in the nba
Purch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:32 AM   #28
Money 23
Samurai Swoosh
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Chicago's Finest
Posts: 2,498
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purch
He has improved as a coach though. I remember back in the day, Bill Simmons wrote an article about Rivers making him seem like the worst coach in the nba
He didn't get better. He just had KG, Pierce, Ray Allen, and Rondo on his team ... and a defensive guru in Tom Thibadeau who came from a Pat Riley lineage of talented defensive basketball minds.
Money 23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:25 AM   #29
Purch
"Yung D-Will"
 
Purch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Swat Lake City
Posts: 1,683
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

I'm not sure you can just credit his improvements as a coach, to simply having a better Roster. He wasn't ever as great as fans made him out to be, but he was significantly better than he was in 06.
Purch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:06 AM   #30
Da KO King
NBA sixth man of the year
 
Da KO King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: twitter.com/RandomHoopsMike
Posts: 7,544
Default Re: Ranking Pat Riley, Greg Pop and Phil Jackson in different categories

Offensive schemes: Greg Popovich, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley
Defensive schemes: Greg Popovich, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson
In game adjustments: Greg Popovich, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson
Rotations: Phil Jackson, Greg Popovich, Pat Riley (the second toughest category)
Developing young talent: Greg Popovich, Pat Riley, Phil Jackson
Managing egos: Phil Jackson, Pat Riley, Greg Popovich
Adjusting to aging rosters: Greg Popovich, Pat Riley (the toughest category)
Calling plays out of a time out in crucial situations: Greg Popovich, Phil Jackson, Pat Riley
Da KO King is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by:
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:46 AM.




NBA Basketball Forum Key Links:
InsideHoops Home
NBA Rumors
Basketball Blog
NBA Daily Recaps
NBA Videos
Fantasy Basketball
NBA Mock Draft
NBA Free Agents
All-Star Weekend
---
High School Basketball
Streetball
---
InsideHoops Twitter
Search Our Site













Powered by vBulletin Version 3.5.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Terms of Use/Service | Privacy Policy