Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-29-2013, 01:44 PM   #16
The Macho Man
Randy Savage

Default Re: So I think I got Te'o'd...

I was waiting for the part where he became your girlfriend
The Macho Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
ItsMillerTime
Dazed&Confused

You didn't get "Teo'd" - people are actually using this now??? At least use it in the right context.

You got played for a fool by somebody right in front of you.
ItsMillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:53 PM   #18
InfiniteBaskets
Decent college freshman

The way I see it, when a stranger steps to you asking for help there's only a few ways this could go down:

1. He's a fraud that goes around looking to scam some people out of their money by lying to them about needing to pay for a bus ticket or get a return ticket back home. 95% of people I'd say are this.

2. He is a criminal looking to get you in a vulnerable position so that he can threaten you or physically harm you and steal your belongings. Probably only around 5% of people would do this would clearly get them reported to the authorities.

3. He is actually in need of help. <1% of this being the case.
InfiniteBaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:55 PM   #19
macmac
Gov'n

Was this also coincidentally the first time you left your house and interacted with humans outside your home?

Oh no a shady looking dude did a shady kind of thing to me! This is just like the story I read online about a football player having a relationship with a girlfriend created by a weird stalker fan! The Internet is helping me relate to life!
macmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:13 PM   #20
ispin69
Banned

There's a difference between Teo's fake girlfriend and you being scammed for money.

1. He claims to be a neighbor, but you have never even met him before and you just believe him? lol
2. Who gives a ...., why is that your problem? When he says his sister is a sheriff, why doesn't he call the sister sheriff to help him? He has no family or friends to help? You get yourself into these mess, get yourself out.
3. You should have seen this a mile away. I wouldn't let anyone I didn't know into my car. There was this old man who just missed the bus, I could see the bus half a block away at another stop. I had my windows down, he asked if he could have a ride to the next stop to catch the bus. But I knew it was too dangerous and declined. Even though it was easy to believe, he could have a knife or gun and killed you...why take the risk?
4. Anyone coming up to you for no reason or 'needs help' expect them to beg for money or come up with some stupid scenario where you are the last person on earth that can save them. Bullsh*t.

Last edited by ispin69 : 01-29-2013 at 03:19 PM.
ispin69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:19 PM   #21
B-Low
The Love B-Low

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsMillerTime
You didn't get "Teo'd" - people are actually using this now??? At least use it in the right context.

You got played for a fool by somebody right in front of you.

This. Other than you coming out lookin like an idiot, this isn't even remotely similar to Teo
B-Low is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:22 PM   #22
rufuspaul
Kubla Kemba

Quote:
Originally Posted by InfiniteBaskets

3. He is actually in need of help. <1% of this being the case.

This totally ****s it up for those truly in need. I was at a gas station once and this lady comes up asking for a ride to her house because she locked herself out of her car. She seemed legit but I declined. Never knew if I could've helped her or not but I wasn't gonna take the chance of getting scammed.

When I got home I told my wife, who grew up in Detroit, about it. She told me of a scam up there where "helpless" girls ask for a ride only to lead the poor chump out to a remote area where he then gets robbed and beaten to within an inch of his life. Human beings are scum for the most part.
rufuspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 03:25 PM   #23
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rufuspaul
This totally ****s it up for those truly in need. I was at a gas station once and this lady comes up asking for a ride to her house because she locked herself out of her car. She seemed legit but I declined. Never knew if I could've helped her or not but I wasn't gonna take the chance of getting scammed.

When I got home I told my wife, who grew up in Detroit, about it. She told me of a scam up there where "helpless" girls ask for a ride only to lead the poor chump out to a remote area where he then gets robbed and beaten to within an inch of his life. Human beings are scum for the most part.

I wonder how frequently that the "helpless" girl tries to pull that scam on a more frightening Ted Bundy like serial killer and get more than she bargained for.
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #24
Levity
Dale, you giblet head!

OP sounds like a good guy, but who the hell would give a ride to someone who claims to be a neighbor(but youve NEVER seen before) let alone, giving them $25 after an inconsistent back story, which continually changes by the minute.
Levity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #25
D-Rose

Apologies to those not liking my "Te'o" usage...doesn't fit all the way but I wanted to use it lol.

As for the whole ordeal. I really do feel like an idiot...but I see everything clearly now as opposed to when it was happening.

And for sure I will learn from this. I will pretty much not help any random person unless it's something that doesn't involve taking them somewhere or giving them something.

Guy was a great actor though. The reason I didn't see his appearance as that sketchy was because my neighborhood is okay..mostly college students but the next neighborhood over is pretty ghetto and you routinely see Af. Am. ghetto types in the area. My neighbors that live above me have a husband that looks fairly similar.

And I would have no way of knowing that he's actually a neighbor cause I don't know any other than right beside me.

I'm thankful for being alive and well. I think that $25 was worth it because I learned a very important lesson in life: Don't be a idealistic liberal in the real world.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #26
Deuce Bigalow
3-time NBA All-Star

Rule #1. Never get inside a car with a stranger.
Rule #2. Never show that you have money.
Deuce Bigalow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:24 PM   #27
heyhey
stay mad golden state

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
I'm thankful for being alive and well. I think that $25 was worth it because I learned a very important lesson in life: Don't be a idealistic liberal in the real world.

was this an elaborate troll job and an attempt to mock naive liberal college kids?
heyhey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:31 PM   #28
D-Rose

Quote:
Originally Posted by heyhey
was this an elaborate troll job and an attempt to mock naive liberal college kids?

Nah, it was all serious.

I just think my issue is more so that I look for the best in people, instead of being suspicious of everyone.
D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 05:54 PM   #29
KevinNYC
Toronto Mayor Rob Ford

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose

Nah, it was all serious.

I just think my issue is more so that I look for the best in people, instead of being suspicious of everyone.

Unfortunately, that is exactly the quality that con men are looking for
I just read this book called The Mark Inside, all about "The Big Con" where they would have teams of people in a town who would meet newcomers to town at the train station or in hotels and very quickly that newcomer would be willing to turn over ten thousands of dollars to them. The con men worked off a script that had been honed over and over again and zeroed in on human frailty.

The 9 stages of the Big Con
Step 1
Quote:
Con men trawled through train passenger lists and hotel registers for marks. Often they paid railroad agents for tips. They looked for a very particular kind of victim. He (and it was always a he) would have to be an out-of-towner so that he wouldn’t be able to turn to his banker for advice during the swindle, or encounter the con men after his money vanished. He would be from a second- or third-tier American city, traveling alone in a large city for business purposes. He would be a prosperous, substantial citizen in his community. He would be a self-made man, accustomed to hard work and seizing the main chance. He would be able to raise as much as $50,000 in a day or two, but he must not be so wealthy that he would refer a deal to his bankers or accountants. He wouldn’t be overly familiar with the financial industry. And he would be smart, so that he could instantly grasp the deal laid out before him.

You can read chapter 1 online. It gives a nice overview of how it works. Usually the mark is given a bunch of money to hold. The money was won through some foolproof scheme. Then they get the money back on some pretext and tell the mark he can make a bunch more if he can invest his own money. The psychology of the big con exploits our greed so well, that often the mark would go back to his home town and show up a couple of days later with the money.

Quote:
When Norfleet stepped into the St. George Hotel, he entered a tightly scripted drama with nine acts, each with its own distinct function in conveying the mark toward the climax when his money will be whisked away. Even the mark has his lines, and just because he doesn't know them does not mean he won't say them at exactly the right moment. He will, because the dialogue is designed so that his responses are the most predictable things he would say in such a situation. The play hinges on three psychological moments, when the mark must make a decision that will propel him further inside. Any objections he might muster have already been taken into account and rejoinders to them devised. Norfleet's role called for him to play himself, a part at which he excelled, but in a context designed so that his own earnest words would betray him. Confidence men took inordinate pride in the structured nature of their profession. Instead of the violence and mayhem of other kinds of theft, they relied solely on a perfectly constructed piece of theater.

Con artistry may seem, at times, like the art of controlling a mark's mind, but Norfleet made the decisions he did only because his swindlers so completely engineered his interpretation of events. He perceived his initial encounters with the two men as organic happenstances. In fact the swindlers had framed his experiences so that even the backdrop of urban life-the hotel lobbies, the streets, the office buildings-became props in their drama, the strangers around them became unwitting extras. The big con works because it makes use of a time-honored technique from stage magic, the one- ahead, in which the trick begins before the performer formally introduces it to the audience; it is the most elaborate form of misdirection because it leads the mark to misperceive the nature of the entire situation. In the face of the one-ahead, Norfleet's defenselessness was absolute-who, in his boots, would possibly guess that such an elaborate performance has been devised just for him?

The first of the nine acts began before Norfleet even walked into the St. George, when Reno Hamlin had put the mark up for fleecing. Hamlin had trawled the lines at the train station and the hotels, eavesdropping on conversations and peering over counters at registers and receipts, until he had identified someone promising. Norfleet was no redneck blusterer, no wide-eyed naf, no freewheeling gambler, no shyster on the make. What about him interested Hamlin? Hamlin had sifted the crowd with a particular set of criteria. His next mark would have to be, first and foremost, an out-of-towner so that he wouldn't be able to turn to his local banker for advice during the swindle or encounter the con men after his money vanished. He would be from a second- or third-tier American city, traveling alone in a large city for business purposes. It goes without saying that his mark would be male, for women rarely had the fortune, autonomy, and wherewithal to make investment decisions with the decisiveness that the con required. He would be a prosperous, substantial citizen in his community. More than that, he would be a self-made man, accustomed to both hard work and seizing the main chance. He must be able to raise $20,000, $30,000, $40,000, even $50,000 in a day or two, but he must not have so much money that he would refer a deal to his bankers and accountants. He wouldn't be overly familiar with the financial industry. Norfleet fit that role in almost every particular.
KevinNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:28 PM   #30
shaq2000
mde

Te'o'd? No, that's quite different.

Your story is more like scammed / almost robbed, raped and murdered.
shaq2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: