Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > Off the Court Lounge

Off the Court Lounge Basketball fans talk about everything EXCEPT basketball here

Old 01-29-2013, 10:39 AM   #1
D-Rose
Mavericks/Bulls

D-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableD-Rose is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable
Default So I think I got Te'o'd...

I'm not sure at this point 100% but pretty damn sure. First off it's not with a girl lol.

So yesterday I get off the bus and am walking home...get inside and take the dogs out to do their business when all of a sudden, this black 40 year old looking man in jeans and a t-shirt with a baseball cap comes up to me and says hi...he had a golden tooth with a dollar sign in it LOL

He says he's seen me around the street walking the dogs a lot..He says that he just got a call from his wife and two kids who are stuck because her truck ran out of gas. He says that he asked his neighbor but "he was smokin' a bowl and I don't do that shit so no way am I getting caught near him, my sister is a sheriff!". He says that he will pay me to take him over there and he will get a gas can and everything. Also mentions that it's his 37th birthday and only day off from work so he's home having a beer n grilling shit.

Everything sounds alright at this point. I'm thinking...what can go wrong, I'm just helping out a neighbor! So I put the pups back into the house and get my keys.

I ask him if he has the gas can with him...but he says it's in the truck. That was the first sort of odd thing to me, but I was like ok...He said he'd take the gas can from her and go to a gas station and fill it up. So when he tells me at first where they're stuck he said "at the exxon by university dr"...when I'm in the car and turn that way...he says "no no no turn left, they down at wellborn and old college". I was so stupid to not even think that those two places are miles apart.

We're going along and he makes small talk...he's a landscaper, has two kids, wife is native american-white, he only drinks (smelled like a pig), doesn't do drugs, loves classic rock.

About 2 minutes out from there, he asks me if he can borrow a $20...I'm baffled at this point because this guy was going to pay ME to take him there. (I wasn't gunna take the $). He says that his boss is coming by his house and will give him his pay check at 6...who the **** brings paychecks to an employees house? He swears that he'll be back at my house at 6:30 to pay me back. Remember, he said that he lived on my street..so I felt that wouldn't be crazy.

As we approach where he wanted me to drop him off, he mentioned that he wants me to drop him off a little ways before his wife and kids because he wants to smoke a cigarette and his wife doesn't know about it...He claims to smoke a pack a MONTH...I was incredibly suspicious at that point.

So as I stop to let him out...nowhere near any exxon that I know of, he sees I have more than $20 and says "oh can I get $5 more for drinks?" and I'm just like..okay..

I think I felt some sort of fear at this point, the guy could have had a gun on him and shot me in my own car. Call me paranoid but shiiiiit.

Last thing he says is "Okay brother I'll see you at 6:30" and I was a dumbass enough to believe him. Of course he never showed up.

So the reasons I think I was Teo'd are:
-why couldn't the wife just take the gas can from the truck and fill it up?
-why would his boss make a home visit to give him his check?
-how does he not have $25 on him?
-I never realized this but at the time he said that he lived on this side of the street that had the more expensive duplexes for rent...It never occured to me that a guy who doesn't have $25 won't be able to afford that shit.
-why the f*ck you need $20 for a gas can? He mentioned that he'd use some for can then bring the car over and fill it up...but that's mad sketchy cause you can fill it up later.
-smoking a pack of cigs a month is utter BS.

Looking back on it...I got completely duped. I feel like a total ass and wish I had that $25 back. The guy had a damn elaborate story and he was very convincing, a fine actor. I feel like he has certainly done this before.

Lesson learned: don't ever help anyone who looks or sounds even remotely sketchy. I was stupid to not think quick on my feet and just be like "sorry by car's not working" or "I don't have a car, that's my roommate's and he isn't home"

D-Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #2
kNicKz
College superstar

kNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected posterkNicKz is a pretty well-respected poster
Default Re: So I think I got Te'o'd...

kNicKz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:01 AM   #3
CeltsGarlic
Real quick

CeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableCeltsGarlic is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

You did a good job. Karma will love this.
CeltsGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:23 AM   #4
chips93
NBA sixth man of the year

chips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation herechips93 has an incredible reputation here

so the guy went to all that effort for $25, and a ride?
chips93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:31 AM   #5
BoogieWoogieMan
Wu is the Way

BoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBoogieWoogieMan is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Don't let this stop you from helping others. This guy is a jackass and knows how to exploit people's sympathy by getting a free ride and cash. It happens to all of us.

One time, while I was waiting for my sister at the metro station, this guy shows up with his wife. He started by saying Salaam Aleikoum, even though I'm not Muslim, but I can understand when people make that mistake because of my features. Anyways, he goes on about how their son had a heart attack at the gas station and they couldn't avoid an ambulance. They asked for 5 bucks. I wasn't thinking with my head at the time, because the reason why I was picking up my sister, I wanted to show her how bad in shape our family dog was, because I had to put him down, and she wanted to see him for the last time. My heart was already broken, so I believed this man and gave him the money, but he saw that I had more, and begged me for a 20. Fortunately, I stopped thinking emotional and I told him that he asked for a 5 and I gave him a 5. That's when I figured out that he was full of shit, but it was too late to take the money back without starting a commotion.

I took it as a lesson and if I had to pay 5 bucks to learn it, so be it.
BoogieWoogieMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
longhornfan1234
Local High School Star

longhornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this boardlonghornfan1234 has one of the lowest reputations on this board

You sound like a typical bleeding heart liberal.
longhornfan1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #7
DukeDelonte13
NBA sixth man of the year

DukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation hereDukeDelonte13 has an incredible reputation here

the "money for gas" or "money for taxi/bus" is the oldest one in the book. I do a lot of work in urban areas and i get that bullsh*t line about once every two weeks from random people.
DukeDelonte13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
bmulls
Great college starter

bmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation herebmulls has a near all-star reputation here

OP

Be thankful you're only out $25 and didn't get mugged or car jacked.

One time I was leaving a 7-11 just a few days after I moved to a sketchy part of town and this dude comes up to me pushing an old lady in a wheel chair. He tells me their car is broken down and asks to use my cell phone to call his brother. I let him, he calls, guys doesn't pick up, he leaves a message. He then asks me for a ride, gives me a sob story about his mom and diabetes and shit. I just had a horrible feeling about this dude so I told him no. Get back in my car and check my phone, he never called anybody, he was just pretending. Few weeks later they send a mass email out saying these people were running this scam and getting people to drive them to a shady apartment complex where the "brother" would come outside and together they'd mug you and steal your car.

After that I never said yes to anybody, gave anybody any change, nothing. These people are predators, they are experts at picking a sucker out of a crowd. If you live in a bad part of town, don't make eye contact, don't talk to strangers, just mind your own business and you'll be ok.
bmulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
SCREWstonRockets
Houston Texan

SCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected posterSCREWstonRockets is a pretty well-respected poster

Dude man, be safe. Crazy people out there these days. You could have been ass raped and murder, all because you wanted to be a good guy. Not worth it bro. Be glad it's only $25
SCREWstonRockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #10
STATUTORY
Bear Chested Da Brawn

STATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputationSTATUTORY has a bad reputation

it's lucky u didn't get stabbed. could been a lot worse. I dunno what kinda of neighborhood u be living at but here when a stranger knocks on the window of ur car, u hit the gas.
STATUTORY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #11
knickballer
Very good NBA starter

knickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterknickballer is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Quote:
he had a golden tooth with a dollar sign in it LOL

OP trust your instincts next time lol. I would rep you for being nice though
knickballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:31 PM   #12
daily
I rattle in 5-footers

daily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterdaily is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

You're lucky your stuff was still in your house when you got home.
daily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:32 PM   #13
Eat Like A Bosh
Banned

Eat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputationEat Like A Bosh has a terrific reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Rose
I'm not sure at this point 100% but pretty damn sure. First off it's not with a girl lol.

So yesterday I get off the bus and am walking home...get inside and take the dogs out to do their business when all of a sudden, this black 40 year old looking man in jeans and a t-shirt with a baseball cap comes up to me and says hi...he had a golden tooth with a dollar sign in it LOL

So the reasons I think I was Teo'd are:
-why couldn't the wife just take the gas can from the truck and fill it up?
-why would his boss make a home visit to give him his check?
-how does he not have $25 on him?
-I never realized this but at the time he said that he lived on this side of the street that had the more expensive duplexes for rent...It never occured to me that a guy who doesn't have $25 won't be able to afford that shit.
-why the f*ck you need $20 for a gas can? He mentioned that he'd use some for can then bring the car over and fill it up...but that's mad sketchy cause you can fill it up later.
-smoking a pack of cigs a month is utter BS.

Looking back on it...I got completely duped. I feel like a total ass and wish I had that $25 back. The guy had a damn elaborate story and he was very convincing, a fine actor. I feel like he has certainly done this before.

Lesson learned: don't ever help anyone who looks or sounds even remotely sketchy. I was stupid to not think quick on my feet and just be like "sorry by car's not working" or "I don't have a car, that's my roommate's and he isn't home"
Dead Giveaway right there. His stories indeed sound BS, but I would've walked away the moment I've seen him. This is why I am reluctant to help people nowadays. People can't be trusted.

Bottomline is, if a shady looking black guy is asking for favors, run.
Eat Like A Bosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:34 PM   #14
johndeeregreen
Oh yeah, Mitch Kramer?

johndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterjohndeeregreen is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I just can't believe a guy with a dollar sign stamped into his gold tooth would play you like that.

You're a fucking IDIOT.
johndeeregreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:42 PM   #15
Batz
Shit just got serious

Batz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableBatz is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Black guy who likes classic rock...

You should've pulled over right there.
Batz is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: