Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-26-2013, 01:42 AM   #1
2LeTTeRS
Retired Bloggissist

2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster2LeTTeRS is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster
Default How much does J.R. Smith get paid this summer?

I know he's coming off a poor game against the Celtics, but he has elite athleticism, length, and range for a shooting guard. Remember he is still 27 and has averaged 16.5 PPG, 2.9 APG, and 5.1 RPG this year for a 15.66 PER in 33.7 minutes per game and has come up big in the clutch several times this year.

So how big of a contract does he get this summer?
2LeTTeRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 01:48 AM   #2
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star

NewYorkNoPicks has decent reputationNewYorkNoPicks has decent reputation
Default Re: How much does J.R. Smith get paid this summer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LeTTeRS
I know he's coming off a poor game against the Celtics, but he has elite athleticism, length, and range for a shooting guard. Remember he is still 27 and has averaged 16.5 PPG, 2.9 APG, and 5.1 RPG this year for a 15.66 PER in 33.7 minutes per game and has come up big in the clutch several times this year.

So how big of a contract does he get this summer?

Hes worth 7 mill a year id say, maybe as high as 9.

From the Knicks perspective, if its possible under the CBA, id pay him as much as i could over 2 years in order to preserve cap space in 2015.

On the market hed get a 4 year deal in the $30 to $40 mill range.

Hopefully he wins the 6MOTY
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #3
andremiller07
#QuincyAcy Fan

andremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterandremiller07 is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

Someone will most likely slightly overpay him but hes worth good money imo.
andremiller07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:26 AM   #4
midatlantic09
Local High School Star

midatlantic09 is a pretty well-respected postermidatlantic09 is a pretty well-respected postermidatlantic09 is a pretty well-respected poster

$25m/3 yrs

Last edited by midatlantic09 : 01-26-2013 at 07:29 AM.
midatlantic09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

JR Smith will be an Unrestricted Free Agent. JR Smith has been a Knick for 2 years. Since Knicks are over the cap, they can only sign Smith with a salary cap exception. The best one for the Knicks to use is the "Early Bird exception", as explained below:

Quote:
EARLY BIRD EXCEPTION -- This is a weaker form of the Larry Bird exception. It also allows teams to exceed the cap to re-sign their own free agents, but with more limited contracts than the Larry Bird exception. To qualify for this exception the player must play for two seasons without clearing waivers or changing teams as a free agent (see question number 32 for details and nuances to this rule). A team may use the Early Bird exception to re-sign its own free agent for up to 175% of his salary in the previous season2 (not over the maximum salary, of course) or 104.5% of the average salary in the previous season, whichever is greater (see question number 31 for the definition of "average salary"). Early Bird contracts must be at least two seasons in length, which prevents teams from using the Early Bird to sign a one-year contract, then signing the same player with the full Larry Bird exception the following season. Early Bird contracts can be up to four years in length, with raises up to 7.5% of the salary in the first season of the contract.

http://www.cbafaq.com/salarycap.htm

So the Knicks can pay JR Smith basically an MLE contract. That's the most they can pay him. Will JR Smith accept this or try to get more somewhere else? I believe JR will remain a Knick and accept the MLE contract. I also have trouble seeing another team "taking a chance" on giving JR a huge contract, because of his history.
bagelred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:06 AM   #6
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkNoPicks
Hes worth 7 mill a year id say, maybe as high as 9.

From the Knicks perspective, if its possible under the CBA, id pay him as much as i could over 2 years in order to preserve cap space in 2015.

On the market hed get a 4 year deal in the $30 to $40 mill range.

Hopefully he wins the 6MOTY

I love JR but no he wouldn't. Everyone is cap concious, and there's a ton of players out on the market. Crawford couldn't get a fraction of that but JR will get $10 a year?
niko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #7
niko
I Run NY.

niko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableniko is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
JR Smith will be an Unrestricted Free Agent. JR Smith has been a Knick for 2 years. Since Knicks are over the cap, they can only sign Smith with a salary cap exception. The best one for the Knicks to use is the "Early Bird exception", as explained below:

So the Knicks can pay JR Smith basically an MLE contract. That's the most they can pay him. Will JR Smith accept this or try to get more somewhere else? I believe JR will remain a Knick and accept the MLE contract. I also have trouble seeing another team "taking a chance" on giving JR a huge contract, because of his history.
I think they pay him this with an out to pay him slightly more if he deserves it the next year. The new economics of the NBA don't pay people like JR $10 a year. If you're a big, maybe. If you're a SG who is off and on, no.
Old 01-26-2013, 09:36 AM   #8
miles berg
MFFL

miles berg is considered somewhat coolmiles berg is considered somewhat cool

He will get around $5 million a year.
miles berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
bagelred
Weird

bagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginablebagelred is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
Originally Posted by niko
I think they pay him this with an out to pay him slightly more if he deserves it the next year. The new economics of the NBA don't pay people like JR $10 a year. If you're a big, maybe. If you're a SG who is off and on, no.

Well the contract has to be 2 years minimum, according to CBA. So probably get 3 year contract, with player opt out in 3rd year.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #10
niko
I Run NY.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagelred
Well the contract has to be 2 years minimum, according to CBA. So probably get 3 year contract, with player opt out in 3rd year.

Can he get more than 3 years? I think they pay him $5ish for as many years as they are allowed with an opt out.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:22 AM   #11
bagelred
Weird

Quote:
Can he get more than 3 years? I think they pay him $5ish for as many years as they are allowed with an opt out.

You can sign your own players to 5 year contracts, I believe. Other free agents for 4 years.

I'm not sure Knicks want to give him a 5 year contract. Maybe 4 years.
Old 01-26-2013, 10:25 AM   #12
It's A VC3!!!
I will believe

It's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops posterIt's A VC3!!! is considered a brilliant InsideHoops poster

I would like Jr Smith as our starting three. Just an option.
It's A VC3!!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:31 AM   #13
DMV2
Keep on Rockin in...

DMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginableDMV2 is the Michael Jordan of posters with the best reputation imaginable

Quote:
I could be wrong but I think it's like this:

For 4th/5th-man starter/6th man caliber players
$4-5 million/yr for G/SF
$7-8 million/yr for SF/PF
$9-12 mill/yr for PF/C(starters)
DMV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 11:37 AM   #14
NewYorkNoPicks
National High School Star

NewYorkNoPicks has decent reputationNewYorkNoPicks has decent reputation

Quote:
I love JR but no he wouldn't. Everyone is cap concious, and there's a ton of players out on the market. Crawford couldn't get a fraction of that but JR will get $10 a year?

Would you give OJ Mayo 10 a year? If i alreafy had a star on my team yes...and most teams would. JR is slightly below OJ in terms of skill
NewYorkNoPicks is offline   Reply With Quote
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: