Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops

Go Back   Message Board Basketball Forum - InsideHoops > InsideHoops Main Basketball Forums > NBA Forum

NBA Forum NBA Message Board - NBA Fan Forum

Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #31
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Default Re: Andrew Wiggins Playing on ESPN at 4:00 ET

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG215
My memories of LeBron are a little foggy. I was in 9th grade and just in awe of him the few times I saw him play. I just remember him having a better handle than this, but his jumper was broken. I guess the ability for him to get about anywhere he wanted with a better handle than Wiggins put of the illusion of being more polished? I don't know. That, and LeBron looked like a man-child in high school, whereas Wiggins doesn't.
Yeah, I was the same age, so I had to go back and rewatch a lot of LeBron in high school, but the big thing that stood out too was how much bigger he was compared to everyone. Thing is though, I don't know much about American highschool, so is there a big difference between the competitions of Huntingon Prep and St Mary St Vincent? I feel like that explains a lot of it (if it's true).
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:19 PM   #32
upside24
Aspire To Be Great

He is scoring and making some plays to expand the lead after Cape Henry tied it.

After seeing an actual game instead of just highlights I get the hype.

He has tons of potential.
upside24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:20 PM   #33
IGOTGAME
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3
I feel he was close to Wiggins. He had no post game, undeveloped man to man defense, and a poor jumper. He was very athletic, had good ball handling, and of course was a great playmaker and could run the offense. Wiggins is similar in that he's missing some big things, but he's also got a couple of things better than LeBron did - his jumper and post game are better.
But Wiggins isn't a good shooter. Lebron was an NBA all star at 17. He had an NBA handle and ran an offense like a pro. He was an NBA level rebounder and passer.

Wiggins post game isn't based off moves. He has a weak drop step that works because he is a better athlete than these kids. He isn't putting together moves. Also, I'm not even sure Wiggins is that much better of a shooter, he def isn't an NBA caliber shooter.

Bottomline in my opinion...Lebron had NBA level skils. Wiggins does nothing at an NBA level except be very very athletic.Nothing wrong with that. He has a high ceiling but guys like Tmac, Kobe, Melo, lebron were a nit further along by now.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:23 PM   #34
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
I feel he was close to Wiggins. He had no post game, undeveloped man to man defense, and a poor jumper. He was very athletic, had good ball handling, and of course was a great playmaker and could run the offense. Wiggins is similar in that he's missing some big things, but he's also got a couple of things better than LeBron did - his jumper and post game are better.

That's what has impressed me the most in this game and the highlight clips I've seen. Obviously you have to take highlight mixes with a grain of salt, but still. And it's a bit of a surprised given how big and athletic LeBron was in high school. Obviously not as big as he is today but, given that he was a high schooler, it was essentially the same level of overwhelming size and athleticism for the competition. But it took him just until the last couple of years to develop a reliable post game. Wiggins already has a very smooth post game, much better than I remember LeBron's being, even his first few years in the NBA.
KG215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #35
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
Yeah, I was the same age, so I had to go back and rewatch a lot of LeBron in high school, but the big thing that stood out too was how much bigger he was compared to everyone. Thing is though, I don't know much about American highschool, so is there a big difference between the competitions of Huntingon Prep and St Mary St Vincent? I feel like that explains a lot of it (if it's true).
Not real sure about the competition. I don't know what kind of school St. Vincent St. Mary's is, but one of the games I remember watching was against Oak Hill Academy. I don't even know what, exactly, you call schools like Oak Hill, Huntington, and Findlay who have kids from all over move there just to play basketball, thus they essentially have a starting five of all D-1 recruits, and a bench with several more D-1 recruits.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #36
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

aside from Kingsley and Wiggins these two teams are actually pretty well matched up.

Huntington is too much inside. Wiggins at the end of the day is too long and athletic to stop at this level, they HAVE to double him everytime he touches it in the post if he turns and shots he'll be releasing the ball like 5 feet away if he catches it 8-10 feet away.

Hoophall Classic is where the competition will be tougher for Wiggins, a lot of MAJOR topics in every game.
Burgz V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:37 PM   #37
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGOTGAME
But Wiggins isn't a good shooter. Lebron was an NBA all star at 17. He had an NBA handle and ran an offense like a pro. He was an NBA level rebounder and passer.

Wiggins post game isn't based off moves. He has a weak drop step that works because he is a better athlete than these kids. He isn't putting together moves. Also, I'm not even sure Wiggins is that much better of a shooter, he def isn't an NBA caliber shooter.

Bottomline in my opinion...Lebron had NBA level skils. Wiggins does nothing at an NBA level except be very very athletic.Nothing wrong with that. He has a high ceiling but guys like Tmac, Kobe, Melo, lebron were a nit further along by now.
Wiggins is a decent shooter. He's had a bad jump shooting game, but he is usually better with his jumper. LeBron had an NBA body, passing, ball handling, and rebounding. Wiggins has NBA athleticism, rebounding, finishing and at 6'7 for a shooting guard he'll be able to score on NBA shooting guards in the post.

Yeah Wiggins' post game isn't based on moves as much, but is LeBron's even now? They're both based on being able to get to the basket with their backs to it, and scoring using their size/athleticism/strength. Wiggins isn't at LeBron's level, but he is close.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:39 PM   #38
Dave3
NBA lottery pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgz V2
aside from Kingsley and Wiggins these two teams are actually pretty well matched up.

Huntington is too much inside. Wiggins at the end of the day is too long and athletic to stop at this level, they HAVE to double him everytime he touches it in the post if he turns and shots he'll be releasing the ball like 5 feet away if he catches it 8-10 feet away.

Hoophall Classic is where the competition will be tougher for Wiggins, a lot of MAJOR topics in every game.
They had the Palm Beach classic a week or two ago and he played well in that. Over the summer he played against the U.S under 19 team and won the MVP. He's shown he can play well against tough competition. I know you're not saying he can't, but I'm just saying for now. I'm looking forward to next weekend too.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM   #39
KG215
NBA Legend

Quote:
They had the Palm Beach classic a week or two ago and he played well in that. Over the summer he played against the U.S under 19 team and won the MVP. He's shown he can play well against tough competition. I know you're not saying he can't, but I'm just saying for now. I'm looking forward to next weekend too.
Clearly outplayed Julius Randle in a head-to-head AAU matchup last summer, too. He's shined plenty of time against the best players in the world his age.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:46 PM   #40
IGOTGAME
Very good NBA starter

Quote:
Wiggins is a decent shooter. He's had a bad jump shooting game, but he is usually better with his jumper. LeBron had an NBA body, passing, ball handling, and rebounding. Wiggins has NBA athleticism, rebounding, finishing and at 6'7 for a shooting guard he'll be able to score on NBA shooting guards in the post.

Yeah Wiggins' post game isn't based on moves as much, but is LeBron's even now? They're both based on being able to get to the basket with their backs to it, and scoring using their size/athleticism/strength. Wiggins isn't at LeBron's level, but he is close.
I
When the only advantage a sg has is a post game and a less spotty jumper than I see a big difference. I graduated in 2003 and played against Lebron and Melo as well as watched a couple of their his games. Lebron was on a different level. As gifted as Wiggins is, Lebron might be the most gifted athlete that ever existed. That is also not even considering that Lebron has an all time elite feel for the game. Wiggins is OK, but he has seemed ordinary at times playing for Canada against good comp. THAT WOULD NEVER HAPPEN TO LEBRON. LEBRON AT 17 would have dominated college basketball and did put up 20/5/5 in the NBA. There was a huge difference.

Trust me, I'm not a lebron fan. But he is seriously being underrated. Maybe compare him to TMac or Durant. But Lebron was on another level as a high school prosper.
IGOTGAME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 05:53 PM   #41
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Quote:

Hoophall has way more top prospects, almost all of the nationally ranked teams usually attend.

I'm not denying that he's won some major games and matchups (vs Randle was amazing) but as far as consistent competition goes he hasn't seen it yet. Not much to take from this game is all I'm saying.
Old 01-12-2013, 05:58 PM   #42
Burgz V2
Decent college freshman

Quote:

the top HS teams play more nationally ranked games/will travel more often out of state. Usually it's the top 2 or 3 teams in each state. SVSM were the no 1 in the state of Ohio and nationally ranked every year LeBron was there. That's why he played on ESPN so much in HS.

But Huntington and SVSM are comparable in terms of competitions but rarely do you see big games outside of tournaments unless both teams are highly ranked nationally prior to the start of the season.
This NBA Basketball News Website Sponsored by: